The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think "European"/Western culture is superior to the other cultures.

Not sure what that has to do with skin colour though.

Edit: What is wrong with things like respecting women and their equality in the workplace, tolerance towards other religions, believing in free trade and a culture where education and resources are available to those who need them, not just a select few at the top? Western culture is superior to the others who do not believe in these freedoms, and I challenge anyone who disagrees with this to explain why not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Vadsi
A white guy walking around Iran will likely be murdered where as an Iranian walking around England would not be given a second thought.

That is simply not true.
Reply 22
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I think so. You don't see much of the nasty racism abroad that you see in England to be honest.

How much of the world have you actually seen to postulate this comparison?
Of course The Empire was morally indefensible, but it wasn't the most brutal. England has always been notoriously liberal and 'paternalistic' in politics, and this was much the same when it came to Empire, we were the 'mother country'. I'm not saying brutality and atrocities didn't happen but the way other countries treated their colonies was far worse in my opinion.

And if England is such a racist country, then why do we encourage multiculturalism so much? Groups like the EDL which certainly are racist form a small minority of the country, they just receive a large amount of media attention, but they do not reflect the mindset of the majority of the population.

Personally what I love about living in England is the ethnic diversity, I doubt you'd find much social cohesion in places like France where the descendants of members of ex-colonies are marginalised in society, I doubt they feel very 'French'.
Assuming you've never visited eastern Europe, or even places like Italy for example. Racism is not tolerated in this country and the authorities come down hard on it.
i am black and i dont care RULE BRITANNIA
Reply 26
If I had a quid for every time I saw some durpworthy post about how 'brutal' the British Empire was. As if every other empire was so liberal and democratic and lovely (much less the countries it colonised).

Clearly OP has never been to another country or if he has, he can't understand what anyone is saying. You can't even say England has the most racist football fans anymore. No club in Britain will ever see something like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20770678

Here's a tip OP, why don't you bring some black friends with you, and go and watch an English club play in Eastern Europe in the Champion's League or something. Once you hear the barrage of monkey chants, you'll never make another utterly stupid topic like this again.
Reply 27
The Spanish are far more racist than we are; just look at the F1 crowd and 'blacking up' their faces for Lewis Hamilton.
Australia has been known for having more racists.

Just saying.
Reply 29
You've clearly never been to Europe. The Germans for example hate the Turks with a passion, same with the French and pretty much anyone from North Africa or Serbia who hate everyone who isn't a Serb . Also I assume when you say England you mean the UK?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Archaos
If I had a quid for every time I saw some durpworthy post about how 'brutal' the British Empire was. As if every other empire was so liberal and democratic and lovely (much less the countries it colonised).

Yeah. All empires are brutal and bad. :frown:

And ours was biggest and best. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
One thing I have noticed it is that a Brit girl will hardly sit on next seat with you on bus if you are an Asian and will prefer to stand rather .... anyway.. I found the country most amazing and tolerant.. I dont think any country can be as open as UK is..
Original post by koshoo
One thing I have noticed it is that a Brit girl will hardly sit on next seat with you on bus if you are an Asian and will prefer to stand rather .... anyway.. I found the country most amazing and tolerant.. I dont think any country can be as open as UK is..

To be fair, most bus passengers will stand if they get on and they'd have to sit next to a stranger, regardless of skin colour.
No. Australia is worse.
I assume from the garbage spewing from the original poster's keyboard that he hasn't lived in many other places than the UK.
Original post by de_monies
You've only got to look at Asian culture, and see that there is still racism towards black people, and that lighter people tend to get treated better

That's so true. I've been a subject to bullying from people in school and from my own parents, the reason for this is because I'm a dark-skinned Indian Punjabi.

Have you also noticed how nearly all of the actors/actresses in those Indian dramas are all white, and they make nearly all of the servants dark?

I don't see why they do this though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I think so. You don't see much of the nasty racism abroad that you see in England to be honest.

Furthermore, England had the most extensive and widely considered the most brutal empire too. That has to account for something in the modern day racist outlook of many English people.

I would go as far to say that modern day racism in the sense of regarding white, European culture as being superior to non-white cultures originated from England.

In short, I think the English have A LOT to answer for when it comes to racism and inequality.

Just added my neg to the pool.

But if you want an answer to your question, it's a rather resounding no.
Mate you should have seen them in Spain towards the south Americans, we English are ****ing tolerant
Reply 38
Ehhhh, I actually think the opposite is true (i.e. England is the least racist).

Try Russia, apparently it has half of the world's Neo-Nazi population.
STFU

Latest

Trending

Trending