The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Information about Halls of Residence at Herts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chriscpritchard
I'm at ridgeview and I love it. It's doable without the car, the buses are once every hour (for some reason the university decided to cut it from once every half hour... - the new SU president has a commitment to increasing the bus service to ridgeview though, so we'll see!), but as was said, it's much easier with a car. If it's anything like this year, people will be willing to give other people lifts etc, I've often taken people to the forum, and even picked people up before, as have other people with cars. One bonus is there are a lot more communal areas, so you get to know more people (who you can scrounge lifts off :wink: ).

Edit: I'd show you pictures of my room, but it's rather messy at the moment - if you are desperate to see one, you can PM me though!

The rooms here are bigger than college lane/de hav and we have a communal TV room and pool room, which is nice. Housing also bought us a BBQ, which can be hired out for free, providing you agree to clean it and ensure it's over by 2330. We also occasionally have uni owned parties and BBQs, as it is slightly more difficult to get to clubs, we had one for the royal wedding which was quite fun! If you do have a car, ridgeview is ideal really as there is free parking available, which makes a huge difference (the uni want over £100 for the year otherwise).

I also find that it's easier to get into london from here, since buses go direct to high barnet tube station on a regular basis. It is also located next to sainsburys, which makes food shopping a LOT easier - it's a nightmare for people on campus since they have to go all the way to asda, which is quite a trek without a car!

Having a car at uni isn't too bad, once the insurance cost is out of the way - petrol prices are a bit of a nightmare at the moment though! I do kind of need one for my course, since my placements could be pretty much anywhere in london (north of the river).

The main issues with the place are that it is off campus, which can be a bit annoying if you do miss the bus, that it's quite difficult to go clubbing (unless a few of you go, then you can get the taxi back for ~£5 each) and that you have to go outside to make a cup of tea... (I'm in D block, so there isn't a kitchen until I go to B block!)

Oh wow! Thank you very much!
A very helpful post. c:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 241
hey everyone :smile: i wanted to ask you something. do you think it is possible to get a room on campus? because i have applied only about a week ago.. it is going to be my first year, i have heard that they give priorities to freshers, don't they?
Original post by camilep
hey everyone :smile: i wanted to ask you something. do you think it is possible to get a room on campus? because i have applied only about a week ago.. it is going to be my first year, i have heard that they give priorities to freshers, don't they?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32954455#post32954455
Reply 243
I just got an email saying that a room was allocated to me.
Room:010, Floor:008, Block ALD, Campus DR,.
I think this means Alderham on the De Havilland Campus, but when I look into it I don't see any residences that are taller than 4 floors? My room says 8th Floor.
Can anyone please help and explain this?
:confused:
Original post by windsor27
I just got an email saying that a room was allocated to me.
Room:010, Floor:008, Block ALD, Campus DR,.
I think this means Alderham on the De Havilland Campus, but when I look into it I don't see any residences that are taller than 4 floors? My room says 8th Floor.
Can anyone please help and explain this?
:confused:

you are right in saying that all halls on de hav are 4 floors max.

the 8 most likely refers to the flat number.

so alderham, flat 8, room 10. :smile: I can't think of anything else that the 8 could refer to.
Reply 245
hello again everyone :smile: maybe anyone could tell me about the order of paying for accomodation? i mean, do you have to pay every week or for some exact period, for example, a month or more?
Original post by camilep
hello again everyone :smile: maybe anyone could tell me about the order of paying for accomodation? i mean, do you have to pay every week or for some exact period, for example, a month or more?

you can either pay everything at once or you can choose to pay in three installments; one in September, one in January and one in April.
Reply 247
thank you very much :smile:
Reply 248
oh and one more question - maybe you could tell me the earliest date of moving in? :smile:
Original post by camilep
oh and one more question - maybe you could tell me the earliest date of moving in? :smile:

If you are a uk student: 24.09.2011
if you are an EU/international student: 17.09.2011

These are the general move in dates..
Reply 250
you've been very helpful, thank you!
Reply 251
Anyone staying in sandridge hall, flat 6 ? :smile:
Original post by camilep
you've been very helpful, thank you!

no problem at all ^^
Hello I'm new to using this site. I wanted to create a post but i don't know how to.

I was recently accepted into the university of Hertfordshire and i was given the accommodation of my choice which was a room at Ridgeview Lodge.
I am not an overseas student i'm a UK student from London. i was wondering if Ridgeview Lodge is a popular choice for many UK 1st year students as I've noticed that a lot of overseas and older people are living in Ridgeview Lodge.

Thanks for your help in advance.
i just don't want to be the only 1st year Uk student at Ridgeview Lodge campus.
Original post by PriscillaPower1
Hello I'm new to using this site. I wanted to create a post but i don't know how to.

I was recently accepted into the university of Hertfordshire and i was given the accommodation of my choice which was a room at Ridgeview Lodge.
I am not an overseas student i'm a UK student from London. i was wondering if Ridgeview Lodge is a popular choice for many UK 1st year students as I've noticed that a lot of overseas and older people are living in Ridgeview Lodge.

Thanks for your help in advance.
i just don't want to be the only 1st year Uk student at Ridgeview Lodge campus.

Just click on "create new thread" it's at the top of every forum.

The most popular choices are probably de hav and telford court but that doesn't mean no one goes for Ridgeview Lodge. I know someone who stayed there last academic year and he had a great time I think :smile: 90% of all students on campus are 1st years anyway and most international students will probably stay on campus actually. You might find some EU students there. I don't think you have got anything to worry about! :smile:
How long is the contact length for the whole academic year?
Original post by Fantagasm!

Depends on when your course starts, but most are 24th August 2011 to 22nd June 2012

EDIT: I meant september, not August :/ ooops
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fantagasm!

36 to 38 weeks

Original post by dancingrobots
Depends on when your course starts, but most are 24th August 2011 to 22nd June 2012

Rather September to Junly. Courses start in the first week of October and you move in a week earlier, so that's the end of September. Most courses will finish around May/June but some might still have exams up untill half July!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pop_tart

Original post by Pop_tart
Just click on "create new thread" it's at the top of every forum.

The most popular choices are probably de hav and telford court but that doesn't mean no one goes for Ridgeview Lodge. I know someone who stayed there last academic year and he had a great time I think :smile: 90% of all students on campus are 1st years anyway and most international students will probably stay on campus actually. You might find some EU students there. I don't think you have got anything to worry about! :smile:

thanks you soo much. that makes me feel much better. Do u no anything about the bathing situations like how many people to a bathroom on this campus?
Original post by PriscillaPower1
thanks you soo much. that makes me feel much better. Do u no anything about the bathing situations like how many people to a bathroom on this campus?

I quoted you in another message already ^^ You posted the 2 different messages like 10 times in different threads which is not a problem but just confusing and I wasn't going to reply the same thing to all of them :tongue:

All new messages go to the top of the list, so people can see all new posts straight away :smile:

Have a look at the following thread, at the bottom and you'll find your answer, hopefully :biggrin:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1697971

Quick Reply

Latest