The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Information about Halls of Residence at Herts

A few of you are starting to ask questions about the accommodation in Herts in lots of different threads. I figured someone should make a post where all these questions can go. Also any information current students has about the different halls etc. can be put here. I'll kick off with what I know about the accommodation.

Hatfield College Lane Campus
This is the main campus at the University of Hertfordshire. The majority of the accommodation if a few minutes walk to the main classrooms and administration buildings. Also the Student's Union, the bars and shop as well as the Learning Resource Centre (LRC). Close to the accommodation is a football pitch and floodlit tennis courts available for student use. The nearest shopping centre and town centre is just a short walk or bus ride away. Should you wish to bring a bicycle, there are racks situated around the campus, as well as sheds in some halls.

Hatfield Campus - Halls of Residence
There are six halls of residence on the College Lane Campus:

Butler Hall
A traditional university hall, mainly single but some double rooms. All rooms have their own washbasin. There are shared kitchens, bathrooms and toilets as well as a television room. There are 65 single and 4 double rooms available.

Broad Hall
This hall is very similar to Butler Hall, except all rooms are single with their own washbasin. Again there are shared kitchens, bathrooms and toilets and also a television room. There are 103 single rooms available.

Fern Hall
Again, very similar to the above halls but this is one of the smaller blocks. There are some single but also double rooms all with their own washbasin. The same facilities are available here as in the other halls (kitchen, bathrooms etc.) There are 86 single and 7 double rooms at Fern Hall.

Chapman Hall
This is one of the bigger halls on campus. All rooms have their own washbasin, there are spacious shared kitchens, bathrooms and toilets. The launderette facilities for the whole campus are found on the bottom floor of the building. There are 90 single rooms and 7 double rooms (with bunk beds) in the hall.

Coales Hall
All rooms in the hall are single rooms with shared large kitchens, bathrooms and toilets and also a television room. There are 103 rooms available in this hall.

All bedrooms are furnished with a bed, wardrobe, desk, desk chair, easy chair, bookshelf and desk lamp. In the kitchens are individual food cupboards with lockable facilities. Each kitchen in the halls of residences has a phone system. The phones may be used to call university extensions free of charge. Network points have recently been installed in all rooms.

Roberts Way Houses
Roberts Way is a student village of 72 houses each with 6 single rooms and a double room. A mini fridge is provided in each room and bunk beds are provided in double rooms. Each room is furnished with the above mentioned furniture. Students share kitchen and bathroom facilities with their housemates. There is a combined toilet and shower facility on the bottom floor and a separate bathroom and toilet on the upper floor. There are two types of houses in Roberts Way. These are Roberts Way Phase One and Roberts Way Phase Two. In Roberts Way Phase Two there are washbasins in the bedrooms. These are not available in Roberts Way Phase One bedrooms. An ironing board is also provided. All rooms have network points with free connection to the internet. There are tv lounges situated around Roberts Way which have to be unlocked bu security before use. Each house has a telephone system. These phones may also be used to call University extensions free of charge.

Telford Court Flats
Telford Court contains 82 flats which are shared by six people and 2 three person flats. Each student has their own furnished bedroom with washbasin. In each flat there is a large shared kitchen with cupboard facilities. There are also shared toilet and shower facilities. In each flat there is a toilet/s and three showers which are shared between the 3/6 people in the flat. Each flat in the residences has a phone system which again, can be used to phone University extensions free of charge. Some rooms are used as temporarily shared rooms for students without permanent accommodation at the beginning of the year.

Chantry Court Flats
Chantry Court is a complex of 45 furnished 2 and 3 bedroom flats each with a kitchen, bathroom and storage space. There are baths but no showers in the flats. There are microwaves in each kitchen. Chantry Court is situated across the road from the main University residential area. BT or cable phones may be installed in the flats as long as permission is granted by Housing Services.

De Havilland House
These three bedroom flats are situated in the town centre, which is one and a half miles from the main University campus. This is near to the Hatfield British Rail Station and also the Universitybus route. The flats are near by some shops which include a newsagent, bakers, off license, fish and chip shop, minimart and florist. It is also close to Asda, the only supermarket in the town centre. Each flat is furnished with a desk, bed, wardrobe, bookcase, chest of drawers, underbed storage and chair. The kitchen is also fully equipped and the bathroom has a power shower installed over the bath. There is a card phone available in each block, but BT phones may be installed as long as permission is acquired from other students living with you and Housing Services.

Tomsfield Houses
These houses are situated on College Lane. They are one bedroom houses and are let to two students. Ideal for two friends to share.

de Havilland Campus
There are eleven halls at the de Havilland Campus, all recently built (2003). The halls are:
Sarratt
Watton
Redbourn
Shenley
Ashwell
Aldenham
Welwyn
Sandridge
Hadham
Kimptom
Lemsford

Each hall consists of self contained flats which have, on average, eleven single rooms. These rooms share a communal kitchen which usually consist of 2 - 3 microwaves, two cookers, two freezers and an ironing board. There are approximately 1600 rooms on the campus. All rooms are fully furnished and also have fridges, ensuite facilities (which you must keep clean yourself) and network points.

There are excellent sporting facilities on the campus. A state of the art gymnasium and also a swimming pool.

Should you wish to live on de Havilland campus, but your classes are on the College Lane Campus, there are buses that run approximately every ten to fifteen minutes. The inter-campus shuttle is free for all students when they show their university identity card.

PLEASE NOTE

Students are not allowed to bring cars onto the campus or into the nearby residential areas.

Smoking is not allowed in any of the residential areas.

Right, that's all the information about the halls. Now for the pricing.

de Havilland Campus Provisional Weekly Charge 2004/2005

Band AA
Grade 1 Halls A-L £85.96

College Lane Campus Provisional Weekly Charge 2004/2005

Band A
Grade 1 Telford Court £76.30

Grade 2 Roberts Way Phase 2 £73.36

Grade 3 Roberts Way Phase 1 £71.33

Grade 4 Chantry Court £70.91
Tomsfield £70.91
de Havilland House £70.91

Band B
Grade 1 Chapman £70.91
Butler £70.91
Fern £70.91

Grade 2 Broad £68.53
Coales £68.53

Band D
Grade 1 Roberts Way, Phase 2, double rooms. £57.05
Halls, double rooms. £57.05

Grade 2 Roberts Way, Phase 1, double rooms £55.58

All above weekly rates, are inclusive of gas and electricity bills and contents insurance.

A deposit of £300 is required for all types of accommodation.

All halls, flats etc. are self catering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey wow thanks for spending the time on this it really helped!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
wooow!! welldone :biggrin:
You are a diamond Aeana.......and so is this info. :smile:

Thank you soooo much, as it's answered all my accommodation questions and worries.

Roberts Way Phase Two sounds like the place for me.......sorry Fern people, but the mini-fridge just seems like a cool idea.
Reply 4
think of it this way, if enough of us group together, we could grab a whole hall to ourselves, then ya don't have to worry about people nicking from the main fridge cos u'll know us all already :p:
Dokta
think of it this way, if enough of us group together, we could grab a whole hall to ourselves, then ya don't have to worry about people nicking from the main fridge cos u'll know us all already :p:

Exactly!

And lovely Anne, this is awesome.
Reply 6
Col_Reaction
You are a diamond Aeana.......and so is this info. :smile:

Thank you soooo much, as it's answered all my accommodation questions and worries.

Roberts Way Phase Two sounds like the place for me.......sorry Fern people, but the mini-fridge just seems like a cool idea.

That's where I am now. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else :smile:
With all our engineers, you could MAKE a fridge!!

Or at least a bag of ice cubes to slowly defrost on your floor...

In winter you can just use the window seal.
Dokta

Ohhhh, didn't think of that. Considering I now know for sure that Fern has wash basins in the rooms, and a network connection, then I am considering.

So are you and Dan putting each others names down on the application form so you can stay on the same floor? As if I remember correctly you can be placed with people you know............dunno how that would work on the halls accommodation though?
Reply 9
I would have done, but realised after i'd sent it that i could've done that, not sure how we'd work it if a lot of us wanted to be together, maybe everyone writes someone else's name and hope they figure it out :p:
Col_Reaction
Ohhhh, didn't think of that. Considering I now know for sure that Fern has wash basins in the rooms, and a network connection, then I am considering.

So are you and Dan putting each others names down on the application form so you can stay on the same floor? As if I remember correctly you can be placed with people you know............dunno how that would work on the halls accommodation though?

I havent got my bloody forms yet, so i dunno if that field's on the app form.

Edit: Given dok's post above, i guess you can! Oh well, i'll stalk Dok a bit, find out his name, shove that down, and you too Col, if you go.
Reply 11
DanGrover
I havent got my bloody forms yet, so i dunno if that field's on the app form.

Quit being so darn quick :p:

Theres only space for one name, so it'll have the be the chain method, since i forgot, you write down mine, the col do yours, whoever chooses fern after writes col's etc.etc.

FERN FERN FERN!!
Dokta
Quit being so darn quick :p:

Theres only space for one name, so it'll have the be the chain method, since i forgot, you write down mine, the col do yours, whoever chooses fern after writes col's etc.etc.

FERN FERN FERN!!

Yep, I'm definetly up for that. Will update you two once accommodation forms come through.
Reply 13
*avoids Fern Hall next year*
Reply 14
:frown:
Reply 15
telford is my first choice, was gonna have dehav as second but i have brought a car thus cant be on that campus. I was gonna send it off but still aint got round to having my pic done! I think fern will be my second, roberts way phase 2 as 3rd and one of the other 'traditional' halls 4th!
Reply 16
It says right here http://perseus.herts.ac.uk/uhinfo/info/accommodation/rs_faq.cfm that smoking is allowed inside one's bedroom except at the de Havilland Campus. Is that true?
Paragon
It says right here http://perseus.herts.ac.uk/uhinfo/info/accommodation/rs_faq.cfm that smoking is allowed inside one's bedroom except at the de Havilland Campus. Is that true?

While I don't know, i doubt very much it's not true, since it's on their own website.
Reply 18
I'm fairly sure that it said almost the exact opposite a few weeks ago, that you could only smoke in designated "smoking shelters", DeHav was still totally no-smoking though

but i might be wrong :smile:
Reply 19
Sending my application tommorow, probably too late now but meh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending