The Student Room Group

Which university to choose?

I dont really want to pay a very heavy amount for my Masters so Im looking at these universities:
University of Greenwich
Birkbeck
London school of Business and Finance
Westminster (preferably not because the fees can get quite high)

Could anyone who had gone for any of these unis give me a little more insight?
And for employability which is more recognized?
Some sites rank Greenwich and not Birkbeck and vice versa so I am really confused.
Reply 1
Masters in what?
Birkbeck easily has the best reputation out of those.
On rankings, it "falls short" becasue it focuses on part-time students - eg see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkbeck,_University_of_London#Rankings

I know a few people who studied at Birkbeck, all of whom ended up with good jobs in the City (finance and economics graduates).
Reply 2
Masters fees aren't the same across a university - some courses will be more expensive than others. They will also be even more expensive if you're an overseas student from outside the EU.

Your best bet is to decide on what courses you want to do, then start comparing course fees.

I agree that in terms of reputation, Birkbeck is the best on your list. It has only recently started taking on full-time students where previously it was focussed on part-time degrees, which has affected its place in some ranking tables.
Reply 3
Oh ... I was not aware that birkbeck was quite reputable... Im an overseas student, maybe thats why

Im looking at business courses in management, preferably an mba
MBAs are always expensive - because most students get their employer to sponsor them. Therefore Universities charge a 'commercial' rate.

Birkbeck is part of the University of London. It is a college that was established to provide mostly part-time or evening tuition to students who are usually 'older' and/or also working. It certainly has the best reputation out of those you've listed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending