The Student Room Group

Why do students complain about 'chavs' when...

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I know about costs in Bristol and I agree with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol people are talking in this thread as if once you become a student , you cannot also be a chav.. where i go to uni most of the students are aware of what the chav "words" "music" and "clothes" are and avoid them to not be seen that way, but they still go out drinking all the time making noise starting trouble, the road i live down there is constant shouting everynight from some house party somewhere, could any of you even define a chav to me?? because to me it just looks like your all saying someone whos poor and does not go to uni and dresses in casual sportswear is a chav,while if you go to any city with a high student population there is always a massive link with anti-social behaviour, seems like people are demonising these people as there the ones everyone can look down on..
Reply 122
Original post by redferry
You do realise the systems at most universities now means that they get smaller bursaries (ie money towards living costs which is what is most needed) and instead get grants - money of their tuition (which is money they could load at zero interest anyway). It makes going to uni very difficult, and one person I know has had to take out a bank load to fund it.

They seemed better off at the lower fees stage where bursaries were available. Bristol and a host of other high ranking universities have scrapped bursaries since then.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm on the low income end of the spectrum and have been given plenty of money and a bursary without the need to take out any extra loans or anything. Grants are not money off tuition. I get given grant money, popped into my bank every time student finance comes in. My tuition fees are still £9k!
Original post by ellieHA
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm on the low income end of the spectrum and have been given plenty of money and a bursary without the need to take out any extra loans or anything. Grants are not money off tuition. I get given grant money, popped into my bank every time student finance comes in. My tuition fees are still £9k!

And you are at Bristol?
Reply 124
And you are at Bristol?

No... if particular universities are an issue then I suggest people choose ones that are financially a better option...

Edit: also you said 'most universities' but when I was looking at universities (good ones, too) loads of them offered pretty substantial bursaries.
Original post by ellieHA
No... if particular universities are an issue then I suggest people choose ones that are financially a better option...

Edit: also you said 'most universities' but when I was looking at universities (good ones, too) loads of them offered pretty substantial bursaries.

Sorry I meant top, not just most, pretty much all polys and lower teir unis still offer bursaries. My error
Yeah, I have a real mix of students on my road. One group of female students are across the road, and are very rowdy. It seems to be a tradition of theirs to play truth or dare on a regular basis, which nearly always ends up in one of them streaking outside the house at night.(I'm not complaining!!) and their is another student house with a couple studying dentistry, who made friends with my Grandma when she was getting out of the car, and invited her to a baking party and afternoon tea that they are having, ok...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact of the matter is that some students are Chav's. Many Chavs have had a hard time and a tough upbringing so its for those of us who have had more fortunate upbringings try to show them some sort of understanding. Even if their behaviour is destructive. Because hating them wont change a thing.
Reply 128
Sorry I meant top, not just most, pretty much all polys and lower teir unis still offer bursaries. My error

Not just polys and 'lower tier' unis still offer bursaries though. I remember looking at Kent and they seemed pretty keen to throw money at lower income students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending