The Student Room Group

bored-classes too easy

For the past 5+ years I have spent every maths class daydreaming and trying to imitate Vi Hart's doodling style. I had hoped lectures would get interesting when I started university, but after a whole semester nothing had changed, and I was never taught anything that I hadn't already learnt years ago, usually from the internet or a library book. I keep making stupid mistakes because I am rarely paying attention. I wish I could change to doing more difficult modules, but because it's my first year there is only one second year module that I'm allowed to do. I don't know how to speak to anyone about it; I have Asperger's and don't like talking face-to-face especially if it involves initiating a conversation, so what should I do?
Original post by gyudgyu
For the past 5+ years I have spent every maths class daydreaming and trying to imitate Vi Hart's doodling style. I had hoped lectures would get interesting when I started university, but after a whole semester nothing had changed, and I was never taught anything that I hadn't already learnt years ago, usually from the internet or a library book. I keep making stupid mistakes because I am rarely paying attention. I wish I could change to doing more difficult modules, but because it's my first year there is only one second year module that I'm allowed to do. I don't know how to speak to anyone about it; I have Asperger's and don't like talking face-to-face especially if it involves initiating a conversation, so what should I do?

Skip lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gyudgyu

Go to lectures from the year above you.
Original post by gyudgyu

Where do you study?
E-mail your advisor, I would also speak to your disability support people (you should be able to find an e-mail address for them on your uni website) if you have problems talking to people.

by the way if its just your first year I would just try and practice enough that you can sit the exam and not work to hard so you don't get bored. A lot of people find at least one module in first year a cakewalk (for the simple reason people from other disciplines will be taking some of them and they also need to make sure people who've done different qualifications are all on the same page. Both these things are probably most notable in maths). I would advise concentrating any extra study you do out of interest on another subject (physics, art, biology, anything really) so you're not ahead of the class next year.

A lot of unis will let you skip modules if you can pass the exam in them (obviously when they don't have coursework), this may be worth looking into.
Reply 5
Does your university degree have any core communication modules (I know that mine does)? If so, since you're ahead with the maths, you could focus less on that for now and more on developing your communication skills so that you can do well in your communication modules when the time comes round. I realise you'd probably rather study the maths (I'm the same), but if the communication is compulsory you'll have to work on it.

Quick Reply

Latest