The Student Room Group

16 and no hobbies

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this situation I'm in right now.

I'm 16, male, currently at sixth form college, hoping to do some kind of engineering at university. Right now, being in a top sixth form college, the work load is pretty heavy, but I feel like nobody should be doing the amount of work that I am doing. I literally work solid on my academics every night during the week past 11, and most of Saturday and Sunday. I quit most of the hobbies I used to do, such as air cadets, piano, running etc, last year when I started to struggle with work. But now I have no hobbies, and it kills me of boredom, I don't even leave the house unless it is for academic purposes.

So I've been trying to work out how I can develop my hobbies, and ultimately, my personality. I looked for things that I can get involved with around college, like starting new sports, which I really feel I need to do. But all the opportunities require you be exceptional at the sport already. (For example - handicap of 10 minimum to start golf at the college, football clubs are only for elite players, etc.) It just feels like 16 is too late to get new hobbies, because people expect that by this age, you would be well into your hobbies by now.

Right now, I don't feel like I'm developing as a person. I'm introverted, and I don't want to be, but I struggle to talk to people because we have no common ground with which we can relate. And I know that getting hobbies and interests is so important, but I just can't find out how to start these hobbies.

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by Archi96
running etc, last year when I started to struggle with work.

Any suggestions?

Join a local running club. I've been a member of a running club for a few years. It's not a competitive athletics club, just a fun runners type of thing. I've run with people from other clubs and for the most part have found runners to be a super friendly and supportive bunch.

Or you could through a local paper or community website to find a list of clubs and societies to join. Find one that interests and give it a go.
Dude, try squash! I started it with a club at school with a few friends, five or six i think (we were all terrible), and after that, me and two of them decided that we'd play outside of school (we could only play for one term, a rotation based thing) because it was so fun!

My advice is to start playing with a friend of yours who has never played before. This is what we did, we all started at the same time. The thing i love about squash is that you literally improve without knowing it. After a few months of playing for an hour and a half every weekend, you really get the hang of it.

After about nine months of playing, we started challenged a friend from school and we all thrashed him!

Then, after about a year, we started playing with a friend of ours who is seriously good, been playing for years, and since we'd had absolutely NO coaching whatsoever, he basically commented on our technique, gave us advice, and then we improved faster than ever before :biggrin:

I suppose what i'm trying to say is that squash is an ideal sport to play because you get what you put in, and i've come across few people who tried it and disliked it :smile: Please, for your sake, find a club near you, bring a friend/family member (i never knew my dad played squash when he was younger, turns out we're very similar in quality, great matches we have!), and just hit the ball around :smile:

...Not to mention it's great for fitness!

[Sorry for the life story, i'm trying hard to convince you!]
Reply 3
Original post by Archi96
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this situation I'm in right now.

I'm 16, male, currently at sixth form college, hoping to do some kind of engineering at university. Right now, being in a top sixth form college, the work load is pretty heavy, but I feel like nobody should be doing the amount of work that I am doing. I literally work solid on my academics every night during the week past 11, and most of Saturday and Sunday. I quit most of the hobbies I used to do, such as air cadets, piano, running etc, last year when I started to struggle with work. But now I have no hobbies, and it kills me of boredom, I don't even leave the house unless it is for academic purposes.

So I've been trying to work out how I can develop my hobbies, and ultimately, my personality. I looked for things that I can get involved with around college, like starting new sports, which I really feel I need to do. But all the opportunities require you be exceptional at the sport already. (For example - handicap of 10 minimum to start golf at the college, football clubs are only for elite players, etc.) It just feels like 16 is too late to get new hobbies, because people expect that by this age, you would be well into your hobbies by now.

Right now, I don't feel like I'm developing as a person. I'm introverted, and I don't want to be, but I struggle to talk to people because we have no common ground with which we can relate. And I know that getting hobbies and interests is so important, but I just can't find out how to start these hobbies.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried programming. Im currently in 6th form and designing iphone games, which I love doin. It can be very rewarding when you successfully write a program!
I'm the same as you, but i'm 17.

I hate sports so the list of hobbies is greatly reduced for me. I'm going to take up flying/ gliding when I have some money to spare. At the moment though I just sit in and not do much.
Reply 5
You don't have to do hobbies to leave the house...

Just go out with friends, it might be easier if you're workload is high, it'd be much more flexible than clubs and stuff like that.
What about Duke of Edinburgh? Can take up quite a bit of time, but it's quite fun and you get a qualification out of it :smile:
Reply 7
Learn a language I'd say. Can be fun and useful. Probably now before it's too late. There are some great sites for that kind of thing.
Reply 8
Thanks for the ideas :smile: I've completed my silver DofE and I even done my practice for my gold in Snowdonia. It was a great time, but now I'm no longer in the cadets, It's kind of too late to be involved in completing my gold DofE.

I'm going to take up flying/ gliding when I have some money to spare.
- flying and gliding is great, I done a lot of in the cadets. Especially if you have the opportunity to do a scholarship.

Have you tried programming. Im currently in 6th form and designing iphone games, which I love doin. It can be very rewarding when you successfully write a program!
- That sounds great! But how did you ever get into something like that? I have no idea where to start. I used to play games like world of warcraft when I was younger, and spent a lot of time admiring how they put these amazing things together, but not much time researching how it's done.

Dude, try squash!
thanks for the idea, I've never actually tried squash. I played tennis quite a bit during the summers, but finding some one to play with that is my level is difficult at my age now. It's hard to play tennis with my friends, they are a league above me.

Join a local running club. I've been a member of a running club for a few years. It's not a competitive athletics club, just a fun runners type of thing. I've run with people from other clubs and for the most part have found runners to be a super friendly and supportive bunch.

I was always considering joining a running club throughout my running 'peak', although I worried that I wouldn't be good enough to keep up! :/ That's reassuring to know that they aren't all competitive, though! :smile:
Reply 9
Try debating and acting. Having been pretty much obsessed with doing music at school from years 7-11, in sixth form I branched out and it really helped with my confidence. The good thing about both is that, while there are 'seasoned' thespians or debaters, there are countless opportunities for 'amateurs' to join. There are always new debating events (such as Model United Nations) to join and your college or local youth society must have seasonal shows. There's lots to do - go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending