The Student Room Group

AS-level revision tips and guidance

Hi guys,
I'm currently in year 11 so I will be going to sixth form in September. I am just wondering firstly how hard would it be to get three A's at AS level I'm doing classics, history, English lit and RE? I'm currently on an A for history and an A* for RE and an A for English literature at GCSE.
Also if you could leave any revision tips below that would be very much appreciated! Is there any point in my starting my course early and start revising over the summer holidays?
Reply 1
Nobody can tell you really - it depends on how hard you work. An A at AS is hard but if you put alot of work in and focused its possible!
And no - don't start your course early. You will end up confusing yourself and it will make it difficult when you start learning if you have learnt the wrong things.

Good luck!
I got AAAB at AS level. Firstly wait until you start sixth form since you won't know what exam boards you are on and may get confused. My best advice would be to regularly revise topics after you cover them in class, then when you have covered the whole syllabus in class you will find there is no need to revise it since you have been revising the topics after you have covered them in class. This should leave plenty of time to do past papers and work on your exam technique.

Good luck.
Reply 3
I know what exam boards I am with, my classics teacher said that she would email me resources throughout the holidays, so it is worth me revising classics or just stick with the rest of the class?
Reply 4
There's really no point starting work over the summer holidays. Enjoy this summer! The next two years will be hard work, very hard work. Rest well and clear your mind.

With A-levels, its simply, you get what you put in. You will have to develop your independent skills, and be motivated at length to go the extra mile of extra reading and research to get the high grades. Simple note taking and listening to the teacher won't allow you to get the best; you have to make sure you fully understand a concept and feel confident in applying your knowledge.

Having said that, believe me, it is very doable! Don't burn yourself out, set yourself achievable targets throughout the year. Don't procrastinate. You're doing art based subjects, so it'll be really good if you can do some background reading throughout your studies.

Good luck! :smile:
Getting A in As is a walk in the park ! It is very easy . You have to study thats all !

Quick Reply

Latest