The Student Room Group

Girlfriends Birthday, I might have to go to the same place but not invited as such

Ok so I've been with my GF for 1 month now, so we are still working out what each other want, and she is one that doesn't mince her words so to say. It's her birthday today and she is celebrating it with her friends tonight.

I was originally invited a few weeks back when her friend made an event of Facebook as she doesn't have it. I looked at the list and it was basically all the girls she works with and me. So I asked her if she knew I was invited and she said yeah I was told but I don't want you come. I thought fair enough girls night out and all, so I was going to go down my local pub with a couple of mates instead.

Last week I was out with her and we got chatting about it, and she said (whilst drunk) that I could come if I wanted to, so I said it's entirely up to her as either way is fine by me, if she wanted me there or if she wanted it as a girls night (they're dressed in corset fancy dress). So I said I won't go for the pre drinks at her friends 1st (we don't get on) but if she wants me out just give me a text and I'll meet her when they head into town. And no more has been said after this.

So now my plan of going to my local has been changed due to a mate inviting friends from work who are wanting to hit the town properly, this means that come midnight we will end up in the same place as my GF and her friends, this place is the only place you can go after 12 and it's a small club so I'm bound to see my GF. And it's a place where she'd rarely see me unless I go with her because I don't really like the place

I don't want to be there if she doesn't want me to be or expecting me to be as I've seen too many times when my mates BF turns up in the same pub when she was on a girls night out, with the outcome not being the best.

At the same time if I decide not to go to the club with my mates and she asks where I am, it's going to be hard for them to explain without her assuming I didn't want to see her.

I text her this morning wishing her a happy birthday and saying if she gets chance today, to pop and see me for 1/2 hour or so to give her a present. But she said "that ain't going to happen, only got an hour spare and I'm seeing my sister in that time, I'm way too busy today". But without thinking about it I just replied with ok, have a good day anyway. - I was hoping that when she came over she'd tell me what her plans were and who is coming.

My mates don't seem to understand my point in that I'm trying to give my girlfriend some space to have fun on her birthday with just her mates, without me being around unless she wants me to be there. And I know 1 of them will be going there as his gf is friends with mine and she has asked him to get her on his way home from the pub as she doesn't want to be late out

I was thinking of just texting my GF when I go down the pub and say something like "Hope you have fun tonight and if you want me to meet you later just drop me a text, if not I'll text you tomorrow"

Is this the best thing to do in such a stupid situation?
Reply 1
...what the hell did I just read?

You are making the whole thing sound SO complicated.

Jeeeez its your girlfriend..what's wrong with seeing her on her birthday? You already said you are gonna end up at the same place as her with your friends...just tell her you will be there after 12 so will see her then...end.
Reply 2
Original post by az08
...what the hell did I just read?

You are making the whole thing sound SO complicated.

Jeeeez its your girlfriend..what's wrong with seeing her on her birthday? You already said you are gonna end up at the same place as her with your friends...just tell her you will be there after 12 so will see her then...end.

I know it sounds complicated, and it's hard to understand not knowing either of us but basically the reason is I don't want to go there unless she asks me to go there is because she has specifically told me she doesn't want me to see what her friends have chosen her to dress up in. And from what her mate has told me today is that she is worried that I will get over possessive/jealous with guys trying to hit on her, as a couple of weeks ago I dragged a guy who was grinding her off the dance floor only to find out he was her gay best friend. (which this being a one off)
If it's going to be awkward, don't go. She told you point blank she didn't want you there. She can hardly be surprised when you avoid being there, and your mates can explain your absence as such. If she wants to throw a hissy fit about that, frankly that would be the last straw for me. It's enough that she's excluded you from both the celebration and from seeing her whatsoever on her birthday. The situation's only complicated because she's sending you completely mixed messages.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Why don't you just tell her that you're going into town later with your mates and you might see her there.

It's not like you've just followed her to town because you need to be with her on her birthday. She will be with her mates, you will be with yours. I'm sure when she's had a few drinks she isn;t going to bemoan seeing her boyfriend on her birthday!
Reply 5
Original post by Danrm
Ok so I've been with my GF for 1 month now, so we are still working out what each other want, and she is one that doesn't mince her words so to say. It's her birthday today and she is celebrating it with her friends tonight.

I was originally invited a few weeks back when her friend made an event of Facebook as she doesn't have it. I looked at the list and it was basically all the girls she works with and me. So I asked her if she knew I was invited and she said yeah I was told but I don't want you come. I thought fair enough girls night out and all, so I was going to go down my local pub with a couple of mates instead.

Last week I was out with her and we got chatting about it, and she said (whilst drunk) that I could come if I wanted to, so I said it's entirely up to her as either way is fine by me, if she wanted me there or if she wanted it as a girls night (they're dressed in corset fancy dress). So I said I won't go for the pre drinks at her friends 1st (we don't get on) but if she wants me out just give me a text and I'll meet her when they head into town. And no more has been said after this.

So now my plan of going to my local has been changed due to a mate inviting friends from work who are wanting to hit the town properly, this means that come midnight we will end up in the same place as my GF and her friends, this place is the only place you can go after 12 and it's a small club so I'm bound to see my GF. And it's a place where she'd rarely see me unless I go with her because I don't really like the place

I don't want to be there if she doesn't want me to be or expecting me to be as I've seen too many times when my mates BF turns up in the same pub when she was on a girls night out, with the outcome not being the best.

At the same time if I decide not to go to the club with my mates and she asks where I am, it's going to be hard for them to explain without her assuming I didn't want to see her.

I text her this morning wishing her a happy birthday and saying if she gets chance today, to pop and see me for 1/2 hour or so to give her a present. But she said "that ain't going to happen, only got an hour spare and I'm seeing my sister in that time, I'm way too busy today". But without thinking about it I just replied with ok, have a good day anyway. - I was hoping that when she came over she'd tell me what her plans were and who is coming.

My mates don't seem to understand my point in that I'm trying to give my girlfriend some space to have fun on her birthday with just her mates, without me being around unless she wants me to be there. And I know 1 of them will be going there as his gf is friends with mine and she has asked him to get her on his way home from the pub as she doesn't want to be late out

I was thinking of just texting my GF when I go down the pub and say something like "Hope you have fun tonight and if you want me to meet you later just drop me a text, if not I'll text you tomorrow"

Is this the best thing to do in such a stupid situation?

You seem like a nice thoughtful guy. And I'm thinking that your GF sounds like a massive headtrip.

That being said, I would mention that you will probably bump into each other since you'll be with your mates, so she doesn't think you're stalking her or anything like that.
Reply 6
Original post by Dorito
Why don't you just tell her that you're going into town later with your mates and you might see her there.

It's not like you've just followed her to town because you need to be with her on her birthday. She will be with her mates, you will be with yours. I'm sure when she's had a few drinks she isn;t going to bemoan seeing her boyfriend on her birthday!

This

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending