The Student Room Group

Depressed about being single

I'll do my best not to make this sound sad/desperate.

I am a guy in my first year at Uni. Over the last few months I've been determined to get a girlfriend (I couldn't think of a less cheesy way of putting it) and have had no such luck.

This is really depressing me, because I've always considered myself to be a fairly attractive guy (okay, obviously not Brad Pitt, but you get my point) and I am very down-to-earth.

It's like almost every girl I even attempt to talk to or 'chat up' just doesn't want anything to do with it, some of them have even laughed and didn't think I was being serious. This is the kind of stuff that really puts me down and really does make me think I will be 'forever alone'.

Everyone always says "you'll find someone". It's been like that for the last 2-3 years now (since starting A-Levels)!

I've even been tempted to try online dating - something which I saw as an absolute last resort.

I am an optimist, so there is a small part of my mind that is telling me not to give up, but frankly, after almost three years, I don't see anything happening.

So really, I can only ask for advice. Anybody here in a relationship: how did you two meet? What did he/she say to you, or what did you say to them? At what point did you say: will you be my boyfriend/girlfriend?

Either I'm doing something seriously wrong, or almost every girl I find attractive just isn't interested.
Reply 1
Hey,

I know how you feel being single does get to me sometimes especially being around friends who are in relationships. But being in a relationship is not the centre of my life, if you want to be in a relationship for the sake of it then what is the point. I willing to wait for a nice guy who has the same interests and opinions about the world it should have something substance to it. I believe it should start off with a friendship and blossom from there.

Have you tried talking to girls on your course or in your dorms star off with a casual conversation and don't go in there with high expectations. I haven't found the right one because either they turn out to already have a girlfriend, too shallow or not straight haha

But seriously do you have mates that can introduce you to other people? You have a whole future ahead of you do you have hobbies you can focus on or career plans? Enjoy single while it lasts because being in a relationship does have its drawbacks

I'm 22 and I'm still single. My plan is to become a nurse so doing 12 hour shifts and will be on a course full of females won't exactly make my situation any easier.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry too much about if finding someone, I'm the same, but I kinda think if you look too hard you might not always find, so maybe relax about it for a bit and when you do someone might come along? I could be being really optimistic here but who knows haha x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I'll do my best not to make this sound sad/desperate.

I am a guy in my first year at Uni. Over the last few months I've been determined to get a girlfriend (I couldn't think of a less cheesy way of putting it) and have had no such luck.

This is really depressing me, because I've always considered myself to be a fairly attractive guy (okay, obviously not Brad Pitt, but you get my point) and I am very down-to-earth.

It's like almost every girl I even attempt to talk to or 'chat up' just doesn't want anything to do with it, some of them have even laughed and didn't think I was being serious. This is the kind of stuff that really puts me down and really does make me think I will be 'forever alone'.

Everyone always says "you'll find someone". It's been like that for the last 2-3 years now (since starting A-Levels)!

I've even been tempted to try online dating - something which I saw as an absolute last resort.

I am an optimist, so there is a small part of my mind that is telling me not to give up, but frankly, after almost three years, I don't see anything happening.

So really, I can only ask for advice. Anybody here in a relationship: how did you two meet? What did he/she say to you, or what did you say to them? At what point did you say: will you be my boyfriend/girlfriend?

Either I'm doing something seriously wrong, or almost every girl I find attractive just isn't interested.

I'm a girl and I feel exactly the same way. I've been single all my life and at times it gets me so horribly down and others I don't mind too much because I know it will happen sooner or later. Have you tried meeting different people at different places? Places you wouldn't really consider? Girls can sometimes be a bit hard to get through to and act like they aren't interested (not all but I know it may come across this way. Hope I don't offend girls as a whole)
The best advice I can give you is to just NOT look around for one and not focus on aiming to find a girlfriend and let it happen naturally.
You WILL find someone eventually. Feel free to message me if you want more specific advice though :smile:
Reply 4
Having read the replies, I have noticed a few people suggesting I don't get into a relationship for the sake of it, etc. That's not my aim. But I am really tired of being single and so I am ready for a relationship.
Reply 5
Personally. I think you should just wait for it to happen or try going to different places to met new people :smile: feel free to message me if you want any more advice or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I would join a few 'girl rich' clubs before the Internet dating-soul destroying. For some strange reason I found Uni environment very difficult for dating opportunities. Work at work is better..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending