The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering vs Electrical/Electronic Engineering

So yeah, as the title says. I'm torn between the two fields of engineering atm. I feel I'll be more committed in Chemical Engineering, but career prospects say that EEE will be more beneficial for me.

Past EEE students have said that you must be 100% committed to doing this degree, so that kind of deters me not to go for it.

But then again with EEE I can branch into any sort of career I want to go into, I think it gives me more options than doing a Chemical Engineering degree.

Any Chem/EEE students out there for advice? :smile:
What careers are you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
What careers are you looking at?

Haven't been looking that much at all, but today I was just looking at some Graduate employers and there was a wide variety of things EEE students go into like consultancies, work in London itself... etc

For Chemical Engineers I saw that it's either in Shell/BP in the UK or opportunities abroad, but not many for graduates?

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Me, personally, I'd be happy to go into the technology side of engineering (networking, computers, hardware...), where I see that Chemical Engineering has no place :frown:
Seems pretty clear that it's EEE for you then. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Seems pretty clear that it's EEE for you then. :smile:

Haha I know I sound like a contradictory git, but when I think about if I'll be able to spend 4 years at Uni doing EEE, I feel discouraged somewhat :frown:

and also not trying to portray myself as extremely money driven, but aren't chemical engineers on average earning more than any other engineering disciplines anyway? just a thought... :tongue: (which is probably persuading me to go for ChemEng lol)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frankster
Haha I know I sound like a contradictory git, but when I think about if I'll be able to spend 4 years at Uni doing EEE, I feel discouraged somewhat :frown:

and also not trying to portray myself as extremely money driven, but aren't chemical engineers on average earning more than any other engineering disciplines anyway? just a thought... :tongue: (which is probably persuading me to go for ChemEng lol)

Your salary depends on what company you work for, and hence the industry you're in. The statistics may say that chemical engineering graduates have the highest starting salaries but that's only because they nearly all go into the highest paying industries; but the industries also need engineers from other disciplines too, like electrical.

Quick Reply

Latest