The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
See you there Jim, I'll be the wee person walking about aimlessly, hopelessly lost. No sense of direction! Good luck at Strathclyde Wilaggy!
Reply 181
Ha Tricia, ill probably meet you stoating about the art department then lol
Anyone any idea what we take our first day? And what happens? Its gettin closer to the course starting and i feel really unprepared :frown: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Hey!!

I am starting Social Work to... LSBU has its timetable up on the MyLSBU portal.... look there... but personally I am gonna check with faculty when i enrol on the 9th and make a few trips up there before starting to get used to the uni, facilities and generally get comfortable with my surroundings!!
Reply 184
OK bump... wrong thread!! lol
Reply 185
Original post by AndrewGalbraith
Anyone any idea what we take our first day? And what happens? Its gettin closer to the course starting and i feel really unprepared :frown: lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Andrew

Don't worry! Me and Jim were at a session for 2nd years, and the staff said that there will be an induction the week before we start for 1st years. The staff seemed really supportive. I'm sure they'll be in touch to let you know about these sessions. I think we'll need to attend some of them too! So don't panic, just get excited!
Tricia
Reply 186
I had to phn strathclyde the other day to get confirmation of a start date too as we still had nothing sent out. managed to confirm our timetable when I was on the phn. tues til 1pm, thurs til 3 then fri til 12. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Hopefully we will get our timetable tomorrow and can start to get more organised :smile: Andrew if u have FB another woman doing the same course started a gcu social work freshers group - you will see comments from a good few ppl who are starting with us - we are all in the same boat! X
Ive added a page, but a duno if its the correct one. If your on facebook any chance you could add me please Laura? My name is Andrew Galbraith

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Hey Guys/ Girls,

Just thought id have a wee check in with you all, see how its going for you all. To think this time last year we were all stressing out about whether we got a place or not.

Im really enjoying my course. only 36 of us doing SW to start now down to 32. Wee exam (only one in 4 years) at end of april then that's me off til sept. What about you lot??
Reply 190
Hi Wilaggy,

It's great to hear from you, and that you're enjoying your course. We finish up a week on Friday and have a coue if assessments to hand in for the start of May. Triciatee and I are in the same class and both are enjoying it too. Can't believe that's almost the end of term already. We're discussing placements at the moment, prior to them commencing in Aug - Dec.
Reply 191
Hey Wilaggy (and everyone else),

I hope you don't mind me joining this convo, came across it through a search.

I've been offered a place at Strathclyde this year to do my Social Work, I'm so excited. Can you tell me roughly the timetable for first year please?

Ta muchness
Catherine
Original post by wilaggy
Hey Guys/ Girls,

Just thought id have a wee check in with you all, see how its going for you all. To think this time last year we were all stressing out about whether we got a place or not.

Im really enjoying my course. only 36 of us doing SW to start now down to 32. Wee exam (only one in 4 years) at end of april then that's me off til sept. What about you lot??

Original post by Cassmcl
Hey Wilaggy (and everyone else),

I hope you don't mind me joining this convo, came across it through a search.

I've been offered a place at Strathclyde this year to do my Social Work, I'm so excited. Can you tell me roughly the timetable for first year please?

Ta muchness
Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I've quoted the person you asked a question to as often it's then easier for them to see your question and reply. :smile:
Hi Jim

I'm going into 2nd year at Cali and just wondered if you could give me an idea of what the workload and timetable are like? And if there are any books etc that will be useful?

L x

Original post by jimb76
Hi Wilaggy,

It's great to hear from you, and that you're enjoying your course. We finish up a week on Friday and have a coue if assessments to hand in for the start of May. Triciatee and I are in the same class and both are enjoying it too. Can't believe that's almost the end of term already. We're discussing placements at the moment, prior to them commencing in Aug - Dec.
Reply 194
Hi Laura, congrats on getting a place!

The timetable is not overwhelming and you'll only do around 2.5-3 days over the week. In general, the workload was extremely manageable and I coped with working on my days off with no problems.

Tutors are very down to earth, approachable and quick to offer assistance if needed.

Most of your learning is provided in PowerPoint forms and this forms most of the assessment material. Further reading is recommended and lists of these are provided. Any recent texts are helpful. The library had many copies of most of the books in the lists, but I would recommend getting in there early. I didn't have to buy any books at all, the library was excellent in that sense. Tutors advise that we read up to date papers published in databases (British Journal of Social Work etc) and you will be given a username which gives you access to loads of online research papers, investigations etc. some library books can also be read online, which is ideal if you struggle to find a paper copy.

All in all, the assessments were straightforward and most 2nd year new starts passed them all at the first attempt. It's not a difficult course, and as you've been accepted into 2nd yr, the tutors must have faith in your abilities. Hundreds apply to do this, and only a few places come up, so well done!

Neil Thompson is referred to a lot, also look for Social Work and the Law in Scotland in the library. Pamela Trevithick is useful for the skills module, as is Dominelli. I could go on...

If you need any more in depth info, just email me at [email protected] and I'll try my best to help.

It flies in, and the year will be over before you know it!
Reply 195
Original post by laurav86
Hi Jim

I'm going into 2nd year at Cali and just wondered if you could give me an idea of what the workload and timetable are like? And if there are any books etc that will be useful?

L x

See above lol
Oh I should have worded that better. I have just finished and thankfully passed my first year of social work at Cali... Everything you said in your reply I found as well ☺️ I was curious abt how different 2nd year would be and keen to find out what timetable might be like for work etc... It really does fly in though! Don't know what to do with myself with all this spare time haha

Thanks for your reply Jim x

Original post by jimb76
See above lol
Reply 197
Post me your email address and I'll try and send you a copy of the timetables I had for the two semesters... personally I didn't think the workload was difficult to manage, and there seemed to be a lot of time to emmm study. :wink: we had a research module where we had to do groupwork with nurses , physios etc. we only met once at the start and did the rest of the work through online discussion. An essay had to be split 5 ways and one was due every two weeks. I've heard they are doing away with that though...it was a farce to be honest .

Assessments took place at the end of each semester and were all 2500-3000 word essays. Except the skills module which consisted of a recorded interview and a reflective account of how we felt we did. We also had to do a group presentation on a serious case review (baby P, Declan Hainey etc).
If you work weekends/ backshifts, you'll manage to fit in plenty of shifts. My work is only open mon to fri 9-5 and I still managed to do around 2 shifts per week, although I started one shift at 10.30 every two weeks because of the research module.
Reply 198
I'm not sure how much different it was to 1st year as I didn't do it lol. I'm sure you'll be fine Laura.
Reply 199
Original post by laurav86
Oh I should have worded that better. I have just finished and thankfully passed my first year of social work at Cali... Everything you said in your reply I found as well ☺️ I was curious abt how different 2nd year would be and keen to find out what timetable might be like for work etc... It really does fly in though! Don't know what to do with myself with all this spare time haha

Thanks for your reply Jim x

Again, see above two posts...I really should quote you before the first post lol

Quick Reply

Latest