The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Boddington

Right, i know its far out, I don't really care about that because its good when yo u want to get it away from it all plus i need like half an hour in the morning to actually wake up (at the moment in 6th forum i don't take anything in for like the first half an hour of the first lesson because i'm rushed into school and still not awake yet).

To be honest, the acommodation visit day didn't help much apart from learning that Boddington is far out, Oxley is a beautiful place but looks a tad tame, Devonshire is...well i won't go into my objections for that and the ones around the campus are further are a little too expensive plus as i said i want to be able to get away from it all!

I want to know what the social life is like at Boddington from people who are actually there (not the people that aren't there and post things like : "ITS TOO FAR OUT I'D HATE TO GO THERE FAR TOO FAR AWAY" as I trust the people who say they get used to the fact that its far away and its fine after a few weeks.

The catered flats looked good but the self-catered looked pretty horrible, pokey and cramped with not much of a community feel apart from a few plastic chairs in the kitchen.

I like the way theres sports facilities on hand because i'm a sporty person and i've heard that there is alot going on at Boddington like organised events and social comings-together etc. although when i was visiting it i saw about 5 people in total outside there house on a sunny saturday afternoon!

I was sure i was going there because i was told it was the most social and the most fun but now i'm not so sure, can someone reassure me on what its really like to stay at Boddington?

Plus, whats the food like? the menu looked ok but you can make porcelain sound like caviar if you talk it up enough. (porcelain was a completely random example :biggrin: )

Thanks in advance!!!!!
:smile:

Btw! im doing Computer Science. (yes, yes i know).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
quick i want to apply today :frown:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I live at Oxley but I've heard from everyone that Bodington is the best social accomodation purely because there's 1000 odd students there. The bar is meant to be great and I know a lot of people who say they really like it, there's definitely a "community" feel between them. Oxley's about a mile or so from Bodington and it's not that bad getting up earlier for the bus, it's about half an hour on a bad day to uni, it's really not that terrible. I say go for it!

EDIT: Oh, I'm an English student but I do a CompSci module for my elective course in Introduction To Programming, and just wanted to let you know that the SoC (School of Computing) is really good, teaching wise, I've really enjoyed my year as part of it.
Reply 3
thanks alot mate. i think i will be applying there but only one choice now - catered or self catered! It would be a bit of a pain going all the way to the shops from Boddington like...
Asda is about 5 minutes bus journey from Bodington! There's a bus (the #1) that goes directly to Asda and passes right outside Bod.
Reply 5
ok thanks, anyone living in boddington? can they tell me what the self catered and catered flats are like to live in and what they'd do if they had the choice again?

careful because this will be basically what i put down! :p:

Reply 6
I have a friend who is living in one of the catered houses in Boddington, yes there is a community feel (they have a common room which my flat, Lupton, doesn't have). However it is a bit scabby looking, it's basically like a '70s council estate and the rooms don't have double glazing. Also, if you're catered you have to move out during the Easter and Christmas holidays - a bit annoying if you have a PC to take with you.
Reply 7
I was in Bodington last year - didn't quite think it was like a council estate, but if you've seen it and aren't arsed about the aesthetics I wouldn't worry about it.

Social life was pretty good, but I've always thought it depends what people you end up with. Some blocks end up different from others, nothing you can do much about. Overall, its pretty socialable - BUT ITS SO FAR AWAY THEY PUT ALL THE LEPERS AND RUFFIANS IN THERE (:p: ). Even though it is a bus ride, people aren't recluses because its far away, quite the opposite. It's no big deal at the end of the day if you're not too arsed about it (I was but thats a different story).

Actually, you'll find that you're more likely to strike up a conversation with someone while your waiting for the bus every morning. I'd say the same for catered accommodation - you usually end up going to meals together with your flatmates, etc.

EDIT : I was in self-catered because I wanted to hone my cooking skills. I preferred the look and general feel of the catered flats though.
Reply 8
thanks thanks thanks.

I wouldn't be too bothered if i got thrown into Lupton, nicely situated but didn't really feel like there was much going on :frown:

Yeah taking my stuff out would be annoying but i'd be taking most of my stuff home anyway and hopefully ill be mates with someone in a self catered flat who'd let me put the rest of my stuff in theirs :p:

I think ive made up my mind with catered boddington. I hope ive made the right choice!
i'm in a "council estate" of mind!
Reply 9
a bit late but DONT GO CATERED AT BODD!

firstly it is too far away otley road is the worst road you can imagine one singe lane all the way in to leeds with about 5 speed cameras on the way! plus you have to go through headingly on your way!

There are a lot of people there but you tend to know just the people in your house but its good if you can meet people from the other houses a good way of doing this is taking part in the bodd teams.

the bar is ****! its so annoying because it could be a great place and give and alternative to going in to headingly if you just want a quiet one. the beer is terrible and its expensive! everybody realises this after a few weeks so id go there to begin with to meet people!
Reply 10
lol i forgot to say why you shouldnt go catered! the food really is terrible and its served up by people you can tell despise serving students plus if you lose your meal card which is easily done on a pisd up night out they are a fiver to replace a bit of plastic!

the self catered house are all newer aswel and in better nick plus like mentioned already there is a asda very close by.

finally for anybody taking a car dont bother getting a car permit you get a few warnings stuck to your car but nothing ever gets done. (a saving of 80quid for the permit)
Reply 11
Ive applied for boddington self catered purely on the basis of the social aspect boddington has and because I want to cook my own food. Was thinking of eating with the catered lot though in the first week to meet more people, does any1 think thats a good idea? Any info or tips people got on boddington and living there in general would be appreciated :smile: xx
Reply 12
it wouldnt really be a bad thing if you went to the dinner hall for the first couple of weeks but i dont think many people did when i was there. i guess this is because priority is meeting the people who you live with so i would eat with them. its about three quid for the dinner if you dont have a card and its not worth 3p!

for meeting people from different houses you can do this at the bodd bar because this is where people tend to go before going in to leeds. its better to be a pisd for the long journey in to the centre it goes quicker plus you wont be to bothered joining in with the pisd up singing on the bus!

cant think of anything else to say really just ask if you have any questions...

one last thing move in on the sat most people do even if they are meant to move in on the sun! i moved in on the mon due to work and at first i felt like everybody else already new each other!
Reply 13
yeah nice one larry.

was the food not nice because you're a fussy eater and you take exception to food that aint up the standards like because i'm really not a fussy eater and i'm only there for a year, in which i'll be home more than away.

it seems you didn't like boddington.

shame.

see you there, grace! it'll be amazing..grace.. :biggrin:

i've already applied now anyway for catered so what you say now don't make much difference laa

in a bit
Reply 14
no im not a fussy eater at all, if you are a student you cant afford to be! like mentioned before in the caterd house you have to take everything home with you at the end of terms whereas the people in self catered dont have to plus they can stay over at these periods as well.

i have mentioned the bad parts to bodd and i guess i have come across as though i hated the place. the fact is though i loved it i met loads of great people who do become friends for life and im in to sports and theres like 50 pitches there! (all the sports are played there)

also in summer it was great having bbqs out on the fields which other halls cant cater for.

it is just a shame its a bit far out....
Reply 15
Hi,

Can I just change the subject a bit? (well a lot!)
It's just that I've noticed you're doing comp sci and you're the first one I've found so far! Guess we'll probably meet in September. :smile:

Any idea how many of us there are?
Reply 16
no idea how many of us there are mate.

i'm really excited about the course though, one of the reasons being i know absolutely nothing about programming, computer graphics, AI etc. etc. and am very interestedbut with that excitement also comes with a worry - everyone i met at open days etc. seemed to know about them an awful lot already!

i hope i'm not the only one going into it with no background knowledge of what i'm expected to be learning!

the department looked great, the professors and the current students seemed very down to earth and professional and the projects the 3rd year students are doing seemed very interesting.

and for anyone whos in boddington or has been in; how long did it take to get to the Uni on an average morning?
Reply 17
By car for a nine o clock lecture i set off at 8 and got there for quarter past nine. This includes finding somewhere to park. So if somebody offers you a live dont accept! Get the bus instead its a lot quicker because there is a bus lane for most of the journey. Id still recommend setting off around 8 though the first couple of times and see how long it takes some of my lecturers shut the doors at ten past so if your late its a wasted journey.
Reply 18
nice one ked.

are the grouping of people into corridors by interests accurate and do they work out well on the whole?

i don't want to be put with people who eat whale sperm or hit themselves with carp or whatever people do nowadays.
Reply 19
well i dont know if it was just by chance but all the southerners seemed to be near each other in my house! And there was a definate north south divide at the beginning which didnt fully go away.

I can guarantee you will come across some strange people but dont worry so much about whose next door to you because theres around 80 people in each house so there will be plenty of people you will get on with!

dont know if you know already but floors are not mixed bottom and third floor is lads 2nd and 4th is girls.