The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham-Accomodation and Halls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by remanda
Hi Rhademes!

Firstly, congratulations on getting in! I suggest that for all the official details on accommodation you check out this - that'll give you a lot of the information you need.

Personally, I found the application process quite straightforward - the uni should contact you and let you know when you should be applying, especially as an international student. As you've got an offer of a place, you'll be guaranteed accommodation for your first year.

The way Nottingham's accommodation works is that all first-year students live in halls of accommodation: you choose either catered halls, where you have all your meals provided, or you choose self-catered which means that you buy and cook your own food, and live in a flat with a few other students. So the first step is to decide which of these you would prefer. You then need to decide which type of room you would like (again, see the link above for the different types, e.g. single study/large single study/en-suite, etc. Try this link) There are LOADS of options, so do some good research into it! If you're studying law, then your lectures will probably be on University Park campus, so I expect the most covenient for you would be either catered halls on UP (there are 12 to choose from) or Broadgate Park (self-catered). They're all between 10-20 minutes' walk from anywhere on campus!

Your next step will be to apply online - as I said, the uni are quite helpful about this! Applications open on 1st March and close on 1st August, but the sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get the choice you want. As far as I remember, you list a few options in order of preference, and then once they've allocated the rooms they'll make you an offer, which you need to accept. That's all it is really - after that, all you have to do is start paying your fees. If you need help financing your accommodation then contact the uni.

Hope that's helped - good luck! If you have any more questions then fire away :smile:

Hello, I have an offer from Nottingham and they are my first choice at the mo. :smile: Would you be kind enough to tell me how to get female single sex accommodation for my first year? :confused: Even if you know a group of girls sharing a house I'd be grateful as I don't know any girls in Nottingham to give me a hand! My brother does Medicine at Nottingham but I doubt he wants to live with me or is able to as he's post graduate.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Could someone please tell me how you pay your rent in University Park halls? Do you pay termly installments, or monthly or even weekly lol? :tongue:

Thanks a lot anybody! Can't wait for university! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by abzy1234
Could someone please tell me how you pay your rent in University Park halls? Do you pay termly installments, or monthly or even weekly lol? :tongue:

Pretty sure it's termly :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Original post by hjradley1
Pretty sure it's termly :smile:

Oh ok, that makes it a lot better to plan budgeting :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Termly, shortly after each Student Loans Company payment you receive, so budgeting is made rather easy!
Reply 45
Original post by DarkWhite
Termly, shortly after each Student Loans Company payment you receive, so budgeting is made rather easy!

Ah yup that makes sense as well :biggrin:

So if University Park ensuite is 5,993.00 yearly, with 3 terms, will it be around 1,997 termly?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just applied for accommodation, both choices on university park! First choice en suite, second choice large single study! Anyone else???
Ah yup that makes sense as well :biggrin:

So if University Park ensuite is 5,993.00 yearly, with 3 terms, will it be around 1,997 termly?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh now the exact payment figures I'm not sure of. If I remember rightly, the last payment is lower because the last term is shorter, but I could be completely wrong!

If you need to know exact payments, their contact details are @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/currentstudents/payments.aspx :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by DarkWhite
Ooh now the exact payment figures I'm not sure of. If I remember rightly, the last payment is lower because the last term is shorter, but I could be completely wrong!

If you need to know exact payments, their contact details are @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/currentstudents/payments.aspx :smile:

Ah yeah, I'll await the offer letter (hopefully if I get my grades!) to see how much it is termly. I just got my student finance timetable, so I wanted to see how much I would have left over :tongue:

Cheers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I were to put Nottingham as my insurance, how good are they at putting insurance students into halls? I know I wouldn't get the guarantee but do they usually get a room, or do they get somewhere else?
Original post by ginger_comedian
If I were to put Nottingham as my insurance, how good are they at putting insurance students into halls? I know I wouldn't get the guarantee but do they usually get a room, or do they get somewhere else?

Notts was my insurance, and put myself on the waiting list on results day. When I went to move in they'd already found me a room :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by ginger_comedian

My friend put notts as her insurance and she got accommodation without a problem :smile:

To apply for accommodation you need to already have firmed Notts right? I can't firm them until Queen Mary get back to me with their decision annoyingly.

Can anyone tell me whether any options/type of rooms in Broadgate Park are fully booked already?
I just applied for my halls, does anyone know the process of how long it'll take and how i'll find out if i've gotten it or not
Same, i've just applied for my accomodation c:
I don't think you find out until after results day when they've confirmed your place at the uni
Reply 55
Original post by Hellooo5667
I just applied for my halls, does anyone know the process of how long it'll take and how i'll find out if i've gotten it or not

You should get a confirmation email shortly, which should say that you are guaranteed accommodation; and that they'll contact you shortly about further details :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by tangowithjanito
Same, i've just applied for my accomodation c:
I don't think you find out until after results day when they've confirmed your place at the uni

Hey :smile: Are you studying Psychology as well? :smile:

We're meant to find out which hall we get within 2 weeks of applying for accommodation (it should say this in your confirmation email that Notts have received your application). :biggrin:
Reply 57
Applying for Univ Park if I decide to firm Nottingham

Would people say that catered works at as roughly similar to Broadgate Park when you account for food, toiletries etc? (referring to a single study at both)
Original post by milliexo
Applying for Univ Park if I decide to firm Nottingham

Would people say that catered works at as roughly similar to Broadgate Park when you account for food, toiletries etc? (referring to a single study at both)

I would say that catered halls on University Park are much better value than self catered at Broadgate! The difference in price of a standard room is approx £500pa - your lunch card alone (included in the catered price) is worth approx £750 pa! You can use this anywhere on campus eg. Chinese, baguette/salad bar, Starbucks etc. if you don't spend the full amount you can just buy bottled drinks, snacks etc to eat another time. Breakfast and evening meal are obviously also included.
Reply 59
Original post by Rainbow2753
I would say that catered halls on University Park are much better value than self catered at Broadgate! The difference in price of a standard room is approx £500pa - your lunch card alone (included in the catered price) is worth approx £750 pa! You can use this anywhere on campus eg. Chinese, baguette/salad bar, Starbucks etc. if you don't spend the full amount you can just buy bottled drinks, snacks etc to eat another time. Breakfast and evening meal are obviously also included.

Ah thanks for the reply :smile: I did think that this would be the case since there really isn't that much difference between Broadgate and Univ Park and I'd much rather be able not to thinking cooking meals. Only downside is the 31 week let, moving out every term and not being able to stay around a bit longer must be a bit annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending