The Student Room Group

BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERS - Bath or UCL?

I have the same offer from both unis. I don't know which one to go to, academic reasons and social reasons please
Bath has more of a 'student feel' in some ways than UCL - in second year and above, people live all over London in the London unis, and of course there are so many clubs you're far less likely to bump into someone you know when you're out.

Here at Bath, you're always bumping into people you know because it's such a small city.

Do you currently live in a big city/ small city/ town/ middle of nowhere?
Reply 2
Agree with the above post. If it's the social aspect you're looking at, Bath is 100% the way forward. Small city, great facilities and student feel. UCL will house you anywhere around london and it is bloody expensive. Also, academically, Bath and UCL are almost indistinguishable. Conclusion: Bath.

Btw i've lived in london all of my life and specifically chose to go to a uni outside of it. Bath so happens to be my no.1 choice :-).
Original post by kingm
Agree with the above post. If it's the social aspect you're looking at, Bath is 100% the way forward. Small city, great facilities and student feel. UCL will house you anywhere around london and it is bloody expensive. Also, academically, Bath and UCL are almost indistinguishable. Conclusion: Bath.

Btw i've lived in london all of my life and specifically chose to go to a uni outside of it. Bath so happens to be my no.1 choice :-).

I was the same as you, I've lived around London all my life so I didn't want to go to a London uni.

What course have you applied to?
Reply 4
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I was the same as you, I've lived around London all my life so I didn't want to go to a London uni.

What course have you applied to?

Indeed...I couldn't think of anything worse than staying in london!

I've gone for mechanical engineering but i'm quite interested in switching over to aerospace once i'm there.

You're at Bath right? What are you studying? And what is it like?!?
Original post by kingm
Indeed...I couldn't think of anything worse than staying in london!

I've gone for mechanical engineering but i'm quite interested in switching over to aerospace once i'm there.

You're at Bath right? What are you studying? And what is it like?!?

Politics with Economics, one of the few non-science courses (though still a BSc). I LOVE it here, so much. My life is pretty wonderful, really. I can't actually believe I'm not dreaming fairly often.
Reply 6
Politics with Economics, one of the few non-science courses (though still a BSc). I LOVE it here, so much. My life is pretty wonderful, really. I can't actually believe I'm not dreaming fairly often.

Haha, nice. Well it sounds like Bath has lived up to it's reputation. Random question here, but is it a fairly cheap place to be?
Original post by kingm
Haha, nice. Well it sounds like Bath has lived up to it's reputation. Random question here, but is it a fairly cheap place to be?

I live off about £65 a week, plus accommodation, and do fairly well on it :smile:
Reply 8
I live off about £65 a week, plus accommodation, and do fairly well on it :smile:

That sounds pretty good to me! Sold.
Original post by kingm
That sounds pretty good to me! Sold.

Haha, message me when you come, I'll show you round.

I know lots of people who live off a bit more, but I don't really go out much. My main expense is food tbh, but I spend more on that than lots do.
Reply 10
Thankyou for your opinions, Bath is such a lovely city. I live in a small town near London so I haven't experienced any big city nightlife.

Quick Reply

Latest