The Student Room Group

Being around your own age group

Do some people of they are younger prefer being around their own age group rather than maybe middle aged people. Sometimes I get sick of dealing with older people even though I will obviously be older one day. They often tend to be less attractive more petty with less exciting lives and sometimes I prefer being around my own age who I can relate to etc. Also if there is any conflict I feel like isn't take on an older person in the same way as it would seen as disrespecting them.
I disagree, I prefer spending time with people of an older age group! I find people my own age annoying.
Reply 2
Original post by Guy Secretan
Do some people of they are younger prefer being around their own age group rather than maybe middle aged people. Sometimes I get sick of dealing with older people even though I will obviously be older one day. They often tend to be less attractive more petty with less exciting lives and sometimes I prefer being around my own age who I can relate to etc. Also if there is any conflict I feel like isn't take on an older person in the same way as it would seen as disrespecting them.

Perhaps your circle of older people is on the small side? One of my friends is 92, and she has had a fascinating life. I go and see her once a fortnight and we chat about life, the universe, and everything for hours. I can sometimes argue with her, although I think I have to understand that on certain issues we are going to see things differently: she is anti-feminist, for example, and her view of women was formed and fixed from the 1920s to the 1940s. Now the majority of the population see things in a different light. So I can't expect her to enter into my own preoccupations which affect my own generation. Likewise, I can only relate to her own young experiences as an outsider, never having been a teenager in the 1930s or having fought in a major world war.

And I like talking to younger people too. I think the age group I find hardest to relate to might be my parents' age-group - people in their 60s. I find them remote and sometimes I feel they don't care about young people.

But I like spending time with people my own age, as well (early 20s).

Everyone will be slightly different in their preferences, no doubt.
I'm 18, working at the moment and everyone at work is 30+ with most married with kids! At first, it was hard to make conversation, but it's alright now. Older people do have a sense of humour and it's nice to be exposed to a different age group.

I still miss hanging/talking with my age group :emo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fifitrixiebell
I disagree, I prefer spending time with people of an older age group! I find people my own age annoying.

ditto
Reply 5
I prefer the slightly older age group...i have more friends in 2nd/3rd/4th year than i do my own 1st years...
Reply 6
Since I left school I spent a lot of time hanging out with people older than me - I tended to find they offered better conversation and I could learn more from them. At university I started hanging out with people my age again, who offered more excitement, and now that I've graduated, I have a nice mix.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending