The Student Room Group

Super Bowl vs Champions League

Earlier today I had an argument with my friend over which is the better event, the Super Bowl or the Champions League final. I think it's the Super Bowl. It truly is an extraordinary event, the best annual sporting event annually by far. Whereas only soccer fans watch the Champions League/final, the Super Bowl is truly an event that the whole family can watch, especially in America. There's weeks and months of hype that lead up to the Super Bowl that dwarfs the hype towards the European cup final.

The Super Bowl is more than a sporting event, it's a yearly phenomenon. The Champions League final is just another soccer match.

Also it's quite sad to know that soccer is the world's most popular sport and yet only last year for the first time ever did the Champions League final eclipse the Super Bowl in terms of global viewership :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No doubt the Superbowl is a bigger event. Better? Well that all depends on which sport you see as more entertaining. Personally I can't stand the stoppage in plays every 10 seconds and struggle to watch it. Europeans watch the Superbowl for the novelty of it, it's quintessentially the ultimate American cultural event and the half time shows are pretty good.
Reply 2
I'd agree. There are lots of football competitions, but only one american football competition.
Reply 3
Original post by Swanbow
No doubt the Superbowl is a bigger event. Better? Well that all depends on which sport you see as more entertaining. Personally I can't stand the stoppage in plays every 10 seconds and struggle to watch it. Europeans watch the Superbowl for the novelty of it, it's quintessentially the ultimate American cultural event and the half time shows are pretty good.

That's the only thing I dislike, the stoppage as it often interrupts the flow of the game. I do like the ads though.
Reply 4
Original post by tinkertailor
That's the only thing I dislike, the stoppage as it often interrupts the flow of the game. I do like the ads though.

That's why I just watch Rugby, the superior father of American Football.
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow

American Football is an improvement over Rugby overall. I find Rugby just plain boring and tedious.

I've tried watching the Six Nations but I can't get through a single match. American Football is much more entertaining IMO.
Reply 6
American Football is an improvement over Rugby overall. I find Rugby just plain boring and tedious.

I've tried watching the Six Nations but I can't get through a single match. American Football is much more entertaining IMO.

I love Rugby it's a great sport with a lot of depth. If you like American Football you should try watch Rugby League, which is a more speed up version more similar to American Football than Rugby Union.
People watch the Superbowl for the cheerleaders, ads, half-time show and general American extravagance.

People watch the Champions League final because it is the summit of the sport they love.

The reason why the Superbowl is more popular is because, as you said, people who don't actually love the sport watch it, because of all the hype. By contrast, only football fans watch the Champions league final.
Reply 8
The Superbowl because it has Tom Brady
Reply 9
Earlier today I had an argument with my friend over which is the better event, the Super Bowl or the Champions League final. I think it's the Super Bowl. It truly is an extraordinary event, the best annual sporting event annually by far. Whereas only soccer fans watch the Champions League/final, the Super Bowl is truly an event that the whole family can watch, especially in America. There's weeks and months of hype that lead up to the Super Bowl that dwarfs the hype towards the European cup final. The Super Bowl is more than a sporting event, it's a yearly phenomenon. The Champions League final is just another soccer match. Also it's quite sad to know that soccer is the world's most popular sport and yet only last year for the first time ever did the Champions League final eclipse the Super Bowl in terms of global viewership :biggrin:
But champions league is watched more worldwide?anyway American sports just have toomany stoppages which is annoying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by onandon
But champions league is watched more worldwide?anyway American sports just have toomany stoppages which is annoying.

Only since 2010 has the Champions League final edged out the Super Bowl in global ratings. Which is kinda sad for the CL considering American Football doesn't have much of a global following like soccer.
Only since 2010 has the Champions League final edged out the Super Bowl in global ratings. Which is kinda sad for the CL considering American Football doesn't have much of a global following like soccer.

But that's because the population of the States is about equal to the population of England, Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Germany combined.

I'm a big fan of both sports but there's no question that the Champions League final is more important to a wider range of people.
Reply 12
The stoppages kill it for me. Plus the players look like cretins having to ask for instructions all the time.
How much is that 49's quarterback going to hate himself if they lose because that last throw didn't connect?
Reply 14
Original post by Swanbow
I love Rugby it's a great sport with a lot of depth. If you like American Football you should try watch Rugby League, which is a more speed up version more similar to American Football than Rugby Union.

No i'm not a fan of Rugby Union or American Football but i do like Rugby League.

I think for football you would need to have the top 2 in the league play each other and get some serious hype and cash.
Reply 15

I suspect now that the Superbowl is being shown on the BBC (it was'nt a few years ago) that it may improve, especially if they advertise it along with the Playoffs.
Reply 16
Superbowl is clearly better for 3 reasons;
1. It is to do with American football rather than ****ty football.
2. It entertains you much more than a champion football game probably ever could.
And
3. The game keeps you more on edge than football.

Guess I like American football a bit haha xD
Reply 17
Original post by Swanbow

This, I can only say that Rugby is a lot more interesting than American Football. And this is coming from someone who grew up with neither and doesn't follow either. But I'd rather watch Rugby, so much more dynamic. NFL, you just wait far too long, and hope a throw turns out nice. It's boring. I watch the superbowl because it's a spectacle and it's once a year.
Reply 18
Original post by YThursday
I'd agree. There are lots of football competitions, but only one american football competition.

AFC, NFC, college, high school...
Reply 19
The Champions League doesn't really do anything to try and appeal to non-football fans, it's a sporting event pure and simple. A big deal to football fans, but not so much to everybody else.

The Superbowl draws in a lot of non-sport fans through reasons unrelated to the game itself. The hype, the flashy half-time show, even the adverts in between that companies spend millions on. It puts itself across as more of a family orientated thing, and something that will appeal in some way to everyone. Also, considering it's the country's main sport, i'd say it's probably more comparable to the World Cup final as oppose to the CL final, not from our point of view because football is our main sport and the World Cup is obviously a huge deal to us and most of the world, but from their point of view there isn't really anything bigger than the Superbowl.

I do like American football and I watch the Superbowl, but as a football fan first and foremost I prefer the Champions League Final.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest