The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

oxford brookes university and university of oxford. brookes is far better though.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 21
interesting topic. to be honest ive never looked at Brookes from this point of view. i would say that i would never refere to it as "im studying in oxford"! (as in oxford uni). i beleive that oxford brookes is a very good university and it gives 2 somebody, something from everything (and thats more important to me than squeezeing my brain at Oxford university !!! study - social - sports at equal portions
Reply 22
bally
What's the difference between brookes and oxford?

Oxford Uni is situated in the centre of Oxford. It is very old and famous and has lots of medieval buildings and loads of traditions. It's very prestigious and very tough to get into. Studying there is old fashioned book, library and essay based

Brookes on the other hand is a relatively new university situated on several campuses outside the centre of Oxford with a much more modern approach to learning. You can study more art, design and business courses there and it has more vocational courses. You don't need such high grades to get in.
In all fairness the main Headington Hill campus isnt THAT far out from the centre, especially compared with some of the oxford colleges down abbingdon road or even on the outskirts of the city similar to the brookes wheatly campus.

teaching and learning at brookes is also centred around books, libraries and essays (?!?!?!?!!?)

and oxford brookes has a better history and automotive engineering department :smile:
Automotive engineering perhaps, history I highly doubt.
Reply 25
In truth, it isn't hard to beat Oxford Uni's automotive engineering department. What with there not being one.

The history thing arises from the Times university guide. It ranked Brookes' history dept as 5* for research, and Oxford's as 5. Which shows that some very good research goes on at Brookes, and it's a good place to do history.

What it didn't take account of, however, is that Oxford has over 100 members of faculty, making it the largest history department in the country, whereas Brookes has 10 faculty members, with funding, library facilities, a breadth and depth of coverage and a degree of student/staff contact time in something approaching similar proportions.

But Brookes is good at what it does, and compares very well to universities of a similar age and target. Like Boosh says, be proud of it for what it is - pretending it's an institution that it isn't, simply because it shares the same city, is just insulting to your uni.
Good points Matthew :smile:

Im afraid I always have a drum to bang about Brookes so here I ago...

Regarding the history dept. - Brookes has a smaller department, but its also outstanding at what it does - only 8 other universities scored 5* for history. Its a national centre for the history of medicine and is outstanding for nazism/fascism studies and colonial history. World reknown historians reside at Brookes (which has a department of nearer 20, not 10 :smile: ), some of which are fellows of the royal historical society. The TQA teaching quality score was high as well and for the last few years Brookes has floated around the top 10 for the subject table when teaching quality and research quality were weighted heavily. BUT, as you say - the department is small, and Oxford Uni no doubt has a more expansive library, more money to spend, a much more prestigious name as a university, students with higher a-level grades and a wider selection of courses. Without wanting to link Brookes to Oxford Uni, the two universities do share lecturers in history - we always have our profs. pinched by the big brother with dreamy spires.

There are other subjects were Brookes dominates the subject tables too - depending on the weighting of criteria.
Reply 27
Brookes is not Oxford though, it is IN Oxford but its not The University of Oxford, so if somebody asked which uni you went and you reply Oxford then you're a little snob basicaly.

I don't get what the big deal of saying Oxford Brookes is.
Reply 28
Oxford brookes rocks.
The Boosh
Good points Matthew :smile:

Im afraid I always have a drum to bang about Brookes so here I ago...

Regarding the history dept. - Brookes has a smaller department, but its also outstanding at what it does - only 8 other universities scored 5* for history. Its a national centre for the history of medicine and is outstanding for nazism/fascism studies and colonial history. World reknown historians reside at Brookes (which has a department of nearer 20, not 10 :smile: ), some of which are fellows of the royal historical society. The TQA teaching quality score was high as well and for the last few years Brookes has floated around the top 10 for the subject table when teaching quality and research quality were weighted heavily. BUT, as you say - the department is small, and Oxford Uni no doubt has a more expansive library, more money to spend, a much more prestigious name as a university, students with higher a-level grades and a wider selection of courses. Without wanting to link Brookes to Oxford Uni, the two universities do share lecturers in history - we always have our profs. pinched by the big brother with dreamy spires.

There are other subjects were Brookes dominates the subject tables too - depending on the weighting of criteria.

How about Law? Since you seem to be the expert... :smile:
Btw Manellowzworth
How in the world did u get accepted at Oxford and Queen (Mary?) uni and got rejected from Edinburgh, London School of Econ and Durham? I know the latter 2 are wow but they're not oxbridge...mabye I'm putting oxford in high regard...
Blush Babe
How about Law? Since you seem to be the expert... :smile:

unfortunately i didnt study law! i know that brookes and oxford have a joint law school for the bvc/lpc, and if you want to do your training there you get priority access being a brookes student (so I was told on postgrad day...). I also know that before john snow became chancellor of brookes, baroness helena kennedy QC was the chancellor - big famous lawyer - there's a building named after her (where the SU is). Unforunately I know brookes isnt in the magic circle - but most arent so nothing new there!! Apart from that... eeeeeeermmmmmm... i dont think the research score was great looking at the website BUT that was in 2001 and the 2001 assessments concerned work done in 2000 and earlier (so some time ago and no doubt the law school has changed dramatically). Im sure its good - if im right your school is based in an old mansion which is right next to the SU and has gorgeous views of its own private gardens - thats where some of the postgrad law courses go (i applied to do law as a postgrad but changed my mind!).

Hope this helps - its the best i can do off the top of my head! :smile:
The Boosh
unfortunately i didnt study law! i know that brookes and oxford have a joint law school for the bvc/lpc, and if you want to do your training there you get priority access being a brookes student (so I was told on postgrad day...). I also know that before john snow became chancellor of brookes, baroness helena kennedy QC was the chancellor - big famous lawyer - there's a building named after her (where the SU is). Unforunately I know brookes isnt in the magic circle - but most arent so nothing new there!! Apart from that... eeeeeeermmmmmm... i dont think the research score was great looking at the website BUT that was in 2001 and the 2001 assessments concerned work done in 2000 and earlier (so some time ago and no doubt the law school has changed dramatically). Im sure its good - if im right your school is based in an old mansion which is right next to the SU and has gorgeous views of its own private gardens - thats where some of the postgrad law courses go (i applied to do law as a postgrad but changed my mind!).

Hope this helps - its the best i can do off the top of my head! :smile:

Oh Man. You know your stuff. You even know what building I will go to. I know you go to school there but...personally I'm so lazy I wouldn't give a fig bout the other subjects.

Thanx btw, it does help :smile:
Blush Babe
Oh Man. You know your stuff. You even know what building I will go to. I know you go to school there but...personally I'm so lazy I wouldn't give a fig bout the other subjects.

Thanx btw, it does help :smile:

lol - i graduated there a few years back - once you get your degree you get an alumni mag 3-4 times a year giving you updates (and a letter asking for cash to support financial hardship etc...). i also applied to do law there hence knowing the law school a little BUT every brookes student (and some oxford students) know the helena kennedy centre - its the biggest club venue out of the two unis and i think the biggest place in oxford - all the big bands and djs go there etc and its sometimes open to the public too. i had a quick look on google and that mansion is still on the law prospectus for graduates.
Well my teacher went to DMU, but when my friend asked her in class, she said Leicester.

Also my friend who goes to MMU, says she goes to Manchester (implying UoM).
I have to say that i didnt think of the whole 'oxford' thing although alot of people do make fun of me when i say brookes i dont get why though its a lush university. im predicated AAAB and i need BBC to get in but that didnt affect my decision just people there seem really great and it seems to have a nice environment, who else is joining in september 2008??

Latest

Trending

Trending