The Student Room Group

UCL or LSE for geography BA?

i have received similar offers from both LSE and UCL for geography BA. i am confused because i have to firm one of these two... which one is better overall?
Reply 1
i want to do human geography and then do urban planning or international relations for the masters.... many have told me that UCL is better for geography and it is ranked really high for geography..... but i was thinking that if i select UCL and do Geography BSc then i will have an option to do environmental management.....
Reply 2
I am in a predicaments of sorts. Basically for my GCSEs i got 6Bs, 5As and an A*. I am really passionate about developmental/human geography and i am looking to go for a career in development in Africa or Asia. For my work experience i have been to schools in india and Africa a well as AIDS clinics mainly volunteering as a teacher. I have also worked for a law firms and an estate agents part time . I am currently head girl of my school as well as captain of the basketball team. i run the eco-council, peer mentor scheme, politics society president and I have volunteered for many years at a local nursing home. I am bilingual as i speak bemba, English and conversational Swahili. I am not originally from England. I used to live near the boarder of Zambia and Congo. I am not bragging but my public speaking and social skills are quite good.

I am currently in my final year of Alevels doing Geography, Biology and Psychology. I am really interested in the BA geography course at LSE. However my AS grades where as follows: Chemistry- E, Maths -E, Geography -B, Biology - C and psychology- B General studies- A. After the stark realisation that i wasnt good enough to excel at Alevel standard without doing some work hit me i dropped Maths and Chemistry and did some work. This january i got 100 UMS in psychology so A*, an A in geography and a C in biology as well as an A* in general studies. Is there any chance that i would be offered a place next year if i applied bearing in mind i should get A*AB?? Sorry for writing such a long essay but i really need some advice. I have currently firmed a place to do law at Sheffield but this isn't where my heart lies. I would really like some advice on whether it would be worth taking a gap year and volunteering with the Zambian government in the development sector and reapplying? Do you think I could get in? Would it be worth sending them an email? I don't want to let go of a place at a decent university then not get accepted next year. I would really appreciate it if you got back to me. Again sorry for the essay that i have just written but i just wanted to give you some context.
Reply 3
My other alternative was SOAS for developmental economics and law.
Original post by adityapoddar
i have received similar offers from both LSE and UCL for geography BA. i am confused because i have to firm one of these two... which one is better overall?

I would say UCL due to it's reputation, location, and excellent study abroad programme. Although LSE is a couple of places above it on the rankings I believe that UCL has more to offer.
Original post by adityapoddar

Hi, I am in pretty much the same position at the moment andfor the past three months have been torn between LSE for BA Geog and UCL for BAGeog international programme, which did you end up choosing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending