The Student Room Group

Is it hard to do PhD in UK with bad grades?

Hi all,

I am planning to do PhD in UK but most of the universities in UK require a grade of at least 2:1 or 2:2 (3.5 or 3.0) for Bachelor degree.

I did my BSc degree in the United States and then my Masters degree, which I successfully completed it, wrote one paper, and got a final CGPA of 4.0. Then I worked as an assistant researcher in Canada to get several years of working experience to make up for my BSc bad results.

I would like to know if the universities in the UK are so strict. Would they consider my application. I heard with bad grades, some people even get rejected during the first screening...
(edited 11 years ago)
What is the British equivalent of your US grades - do you know?

PS. Although your grades plus experience might not prevent you being offered a place (but be aware that most US Masters degree are not considered equal to a UK Masters, but equal to the Honours year of a BA/BSc degree), your bigger problem will probably be getting funding.
(edited 11 years ago)
Agree, your bigger problem is getting funding
If you have a decent MA, and some work experience in research (especially with some publications), that might make up for your undergrad (which I think would equate to a 2:2 in the UK?), but that's no guarantee. It's extremely competitive at the moment for funding, so while you might get a place (and no harm in applying, or at least talking to admissions tutors), the difficult bit will be funding. A lot of that depends on who is looking at your application. I have a pretty standard academic record (decent 2:1, merit on my MA - though distinction on my dissertation), but got my funding on the basis of several factors; a) that i worked in research for several years and had some publications and b) could show a clear interest and passion in the area i wanted to research. However, my supervisor had to really fight to get me the funding, as I went up against someone who had a 'perfect' academic record (1st, distinction etc), though no clear research experience. for my supervisor, I was the better bet, for the other admissions tutor, the other girl was. In the end, she was nominated for funding, but turned it down, while I got mine a different way. i was lucky, because i had someone who believed in me, and my project, but you'll always be against someone with the perfect record, and that can be hard to beat.
Reply 4
The undergrad GPA is easily overcome with your MA results, in my opinion.

I can speak to this specifically since I finished my BA with a 2.2/4.0 - below what would be considered a Third I think in the UK. I was lazy my first three years and got kicked out because I ended my Junior year with a 1.7 and needed a 1.75 to continue. I returned 12 years later and brought my 1.7 up to 2.2 with a 4.0 in my last year.

I am now finishing my MA with a 3.9/4 with 3 publications and have offers from Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds and Exeter at present.

As others have said, funding will be the biggest obstacle. Lucky for you (and me) the US provides very reasonable loan structures for postgraduate study in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending