The Student Room Group

why did YOU go to university?

:smile: hei

so i am new around however i find this forum really helpful and entertaining :colone:

I am thinking of applying to various universities and they all seem so different. Some have more advantages but also a significant amount of problems. Since i am having trouble deciding upon a university I was wondering what factors were important in your decision making process. What really made you decide for a university (undergraduate or postgraduate) in the UK or abroad?

i really want to make sure ill make the best decision possible so any help, idea would be appreciated :colondollar:

thanks ! :cool:
I had just leaft the Army after an unexpected medical discharge, as I didn't savour the prospect of sitting around on my ass being refused work everywhere, I thought I would get a degree instead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I found my course subject stimulating and it was the only real viable option after Sixth Form so I jumped on the bandwagon and went.
Reply 3
- For fun
- To learn
- For a job

Worked out pretty well. :biggrin:
Networking mainly.
Reply 5
I could only afford to go to universities locally, which limited my choice to two. Did undergrad at one, Masters at the other, then back to the undergrad one for PhD. Worked out pretty well as I love my undergrad/PhD uni -luck of the draw though.

I went to uni because I wanted to learn more about a subject which realy gripped me, and I was in a financial position which allowed it (no family, mortgage finally paid off and enough savings to support myself for a couple of years).
I know a lot of people here are really picky. I was with my UG because of a bad experience with a uni I went to before that. Decided after a disastrous experience of living on campus to choose the nearest uni to where I lived, which I knew also to be a good one. Plus it offered a science foundation year. For my PG, I just looked up courses in microbiology. There weren’t many general FT ones, which were just for one year (how long my career development loan could cover). Honestly I didn't think much of Manchester, but it turned out to be an excellent choice and living experience. :smile:
Reply 7
hei guys :smile:

these are some really interesting answers. I was also thinking networking and finding a subject that really fascinates you are very important factors. However I am planning to go abroad maybe the Netherlands or the Scandinavian countries... anyone that abroad for university ? What were you guys concerned about?

excited to hear more opinions :smile: :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending