The Student Room Group

Dip LCM...any views?

Can anyone tell me how this compares with the DipABRSM and the Associate level Diploma of Trinity Board?
Reply 1
Original post by toomanycats
Can anyone tell me how this compares with the DipABRSM and the Associate level Diploma of Trinity Board?

I just looked at this on the London College of Music exams web site. I couldn't find a performers Dip LCM, but I the teachers one needs a lower playing standard to pass than ALCM, Dip ABRSM and ATCL. I actually can't see any point in doing Dip LCM because they say that the playing standard is about grade 6. So why not do grade 6 instead? I suppose it means more money for the LCM exam board.
Lets just hope that people with this diploma don't start teaching........
Reply 2
there is a performance DipLCM. The recommended pieces are of a similar standard to the Dip ABRSM list, but the programme is shorter (20 mins vs 35) unless you opt for the recital option which is also 35mins. Yes, i saw the playing standard for the Teaching Dip is only 6, but then I suppose they are assessing you as a teacher not a performer....I'd love to know what the fail rate is for the Dip in performance as the pass % is 75% which sounds high.
Reply 3
Original post by toomanycats
there is a performance DipLCM. The recommended pieces are of a similar standard to the Dip ABRSM list, but the programme is shorter (20 mins vs 35) unless you opt for the recital option which is also 35mins. Yes, i saw the playing standard for the Teaching Dip is only 6, but then I suppose they are assessing you as a teacher not a performer....I'd love to know what the fail rate is for the Dip in performance as the pass % is 75% which sounds high.

I think you might mean that the notes in the pieces look similar to dip ABRSM. You have to remember that pieces are not grade or diploma standards. A professional player will play all the pieces in all the grades and diplomas much, much better than is expected or needed to pass any of these diplomas. So the standard of the way you play the pieces may be different between Dip ABRSM and Dip LCM. The pass for a performance Dip LCM might be 75% but how do you have to play to get that? It might be the same as the teaching exam? The best way to find out might be to ask them.
Reply 4
I did the DipLCM(TD) teaching diploma a couple of years ago. As toomanycats suggests, the main thrust of the exam is teaching, not playing. You have to either take a pupil into the exam with you and give a lesson (preferred) or submit a video of a lesson. They are looking for good engagement, interaction and ability to actually teach in an imaginative way. You then have a discussion with the examiner about the lesson and more general teaching issues - eg teaching people with differing requirements and abilities, the teaching resources (books etc) available. The performance part is very much the minor element (I chose a G7 piece which I liked) - just confirmation that you can play accurately and confidently.

DipLCM(TD) is not to be confused with the DipLCM performance, which I have also done. I chose the recital version (c. 35 mins). Having assessed the pieces as roughly equivalent to Grade 8 (with a few more like Grade 7, and a few more difficult) I was looking forward to sailing through the diploma, having previously sailed quickly through grades 5-8. However, it ended up taking me three attempts, and a lot more time and work than getting through all the grades did, because the higher standard required at this level is difficult to sustain through 35 minutes of playing (I also found that performance nerves kicked). For me, it was very much a different order of exam. I can't comment on how this compares with the ABRSM equivalent, but they are supposed to be calibrated to the same standard. My sole reason for choosing LCM was that I liked the repertoire better - actually playing and enjoying music is, at the end of the day, what it's all about for me.

Quick Reply

Latest