The Student Room Group

Why has Bradford accepted me?

I missed out on a C in English GCSE and got a conditional from them, today I just got a letter about being offered a place?

It's far too late to retake my English and will need to do it next year and I have no intention of staying at college for another year.

"Following your application for a course at the University of Bradford, I am pleased to let you know that you have been offered a place on the Foundation Year in ********, UCAS course code ****. Your UCAS personal reference number is ********* and should be quoted in any correspondence.

You will have received formal communication from UCAS but this is to introduce you to our School, give you our contact details and tell you we are here to answer any questions or deal with anything that you need help with over the next year".
Reply 1
Congrats?
They might have just decided to take you anyway.
Reply 2
I don't understand. Do you mean that you are surprised because English GCSE grade C was one of their requirements?
Reply 3
They may already know that you do not have a GCSE C grade english, but still have made you offer. My friends doesn't have his english gcse, but still received offer from a university. Some universities give you a test of there own if you do not have the english requirement.

On your UCAS track, if you click on the course code, it should say what the requirements are, if it does not say english is a requirement, I would not worry.
Reply 4
Original post by lou_100
I don't understand. Do you mean that you are surprised because English GCSE grade C was one of their requirements?

No, I'm surprised they accepted me. I got a conditional.
Reply 5
Original post by Willbean
No, I'm surprised they accepted me. I got a conditional.

Yeah that's what I mean. Are you surprised that they accepted you because you didn't get a C in English and it was one of their requirements? Just trying to work out what your emphasis on the English GCSE is :/

Anyway, either way, you clearly met every other requirement and beat other applicants. So congrats! Don't question it :smile:
Reply 6
Have you checked the offer requirements? It might say in there that you need the C grade.

If not, congratulations!
Reply 7
Original post by lou_100
Yeah that's what I mean. Are you surprised that they accepted you because you didn't get a C in English and it was one of their requirements? Just trying to work out what your emphasis on the English GCSE is :/

Anyway, either way, you clearly met every other requirement and beat other applicants. So congrats! Don't question it :smile:

Doesn't feel right, like I didn't achieve it.

But it's not that, I rang up a few weeks ago and was told that if I did not get the grade, I won't get in. Now I got this email.

I don't want to turn up at the uni and told it was a mistake, don't want to get my hopes up only for it to be horrible crushed. And humiliated.
Reply 8
Original post by Willbean
Doesn't feel right, like I didn't achieve it.

But it's not that, I rang up a few weeks ago and was told that if I did not get the grade, I won't get in. Now I got this email.

I don't want to turn up at the uni and told it was a mistake, don't want to get my hopes up only for it to be horrible crushed. And humiliated.

In that case, check the requirements by clicking on the course code on your UCAS track page. If there is no sign of an English GCSE min C then it's clearly not a requirement. If you are sure you didn't declare it on your UCAS, and are sure it doesn't say it is a requirement on UCAS track or in your letter, then you seem to be in the clear.

There's still the awful chance they could bite back on results day and reject your place, claiming that you "didn't manage to attain GCSE English Grade C" in which case you can appeal to someone relevant and say it was never said that you had to.

However, it could simply be that the person on the phone made a mistake. They might have made an exception or...she/he could have just got it wrong for your course. Sometimes you think you're talking to the experts on the phone, when they are humans and can easily muddle things up :/

If you are really worried about rejection on results day, ring them up again and explain that you have been offered a place with no such requirement when you were expecting one, and ask them to confirm that it's correct.

PS have faith in yourself. They obviously want you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
what a levels u get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending