The Student Room Group

should i commute or move to uni

dear world!
i will be attending Ravesbourne in sep and was thinking if i should commuting or move to uni from southend witch is a 1hour 15mins by train. please can
some1 tell me if i would b missing out from commuting.
Reply 1
I live about the same distance from the uni I'm going to. I'm definitely moving to uni. Think of the travelling time you'll be spending, instead of working or building new friendships.

One thing you're going to need is a good support network from your peers, but living that far away is going to hinder that. Plus if the others on your course arrange nights out or study sessions you're also going to miss out on them too.

Take the plunge and experience the proper side of uni life
oh yeah live out definitively you will miss out on so much commuting from that far away clubs nights out parties learning to take care of your self really you'll miss more than you'll save "get out now go walk out the door"
Move to uni
Don't forget trains are delayed cancelled etc etc so you'll miss lectures and how about your free periods if you have say a 9 am lecture and another at 7pm (yeah that actually happens) only where will you go I mean yes you could study but what about when you:
A)need a break
B)don't feel like it
C)nothing goes in

What will you do then where will yo go can't go home also train fares are rising if you think about it lets say you have lectures every day a return costs let say £20 for arguments sake halls cost lets say £95 a week (based on the halls I was in) for en suite you are actually paying more to commute each week

The train costs
5 *20 =£100

Halls £95 (per week including internet water and power)
You would save £150 per year by staying in halls really move out it's a no brainier.
(edited 11 years ago)
You really should choose what would suit you best. If you think you can cope with the daily commute, then you might find it less stressful than moving away to uni and you'll also save money. However, by not living at uni you may miss out on a lot of the student experience.
Original post by myusername.
You really should choose what would suit you best. If you think you can cope with the daily commute, then you might find it less stressful than moving away to uni and you'll also save money. However, by not living at uni you may miss out on a lot of the student experience.

check the post above he wont nessaserally save money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonathanemptage
check the post above he wont nessaserally save money

Posted from TSR Mobile

He would if he invested in a Student Rail Card which would give him a 1/3 off his travel. He also might not need to buy food every week and is less likely to be paying for nights out as often! He would save in the long-term, definitely.
Reply 8
I think you should move, just try it for the 1st year/semester. If you're often rushing back for the last train you might end up feeling a bit left out of the uni social scene. Also, it's very tempting to skip class if you know you have a big trek to uni. Easier to roll in at the last minute if you live on/near campus.
May I just add that if you plan on living at uni, make sure you can tolerate studying in an environment which can be rather distracting. It is a good experience living in uni halls, it's easier to meet new people and you learn independence, not to mention the fact that you will also find is less easier getting up for lectures in the morning! However, make sure you are aware of the disadvantages of living at uni too. I dropped out of uni because the experience wasn't for me, I personally found it was extremely hard to concentrate in an environment where most of the students were too focused on drinking and going out.
yrah thats a point but he would really miss out though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
He would if he invested in a Student Rail Card which would give him a 1/3 off his travel. He also might not need to buy food every week and is less likely to be paying for nights out as often! He would save in the long-term, definitely.

the thing is im not realy saving money as im already living on my own paying the rent food and stuff with commuting it just adds to the bills
Original post by tkemp
the thing is im not realy saving money as im already living on my own paying the rent food and stuff with commuting it just adds to the bills

In that case, it would probably be much easier for you to move into uni halls!

It depends on the price of the ticket and where he is going I mean from where I live London is about 20 pounds more than Southampton but is a shorter trip
It takes me around an hour and a half to travel to and from uni, and I do that every day, and it doesn't bother me. I have plenty of friends at uni, but my best friends are still the friends that live in the same village as me, and I'm really not interested in going out drinking(I'm 17, but even when I'm 18 at the end of the month I still won't be interested), so the social side of not living at uni isn't a problem for me.

The fact that travel only costs me £40 a month and that I'm too close to uni to live in my uni's halls also makes a difference though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending