The Student Room Group

Which is better- St. Andrews or Durham?

Hey guys,
I'm an International student wanting to study English Literature at the undergraduate level this year. I got an offer from Durham and St Andrews. The problem is that I dont know which one is better! :/ HELP?

1) Which university is more student friendly?
2) Which is ranked higher? (there are sooo many league tables with different rankings, that it confuses me)
3) What is the Indian population like at both these universities?
4) Which English Dept./ course is better?

Thanks a ton.
Reply 1
Hello! I dont go to either university however last week I went and visited St Andrews, had a look around and I can tell you what my impressions were of it.. as for Durham, I have not been and so cannot really say.

1) I saw a lot of the students interacting really well, the people in St Andrews were all very friendly (people in Scotland are generally extremely friendly).
St Andrews IS basically a university campus and it has been for years and so the town are used to the students and welcome them!
2) Overall: (according to The Gaurdian) Durham places 7th in the UK whereas St Andrews places 4th
However, the course satisfaction rate in Durham is 91% and in St Andrews it is 94% and so evidently higher..
Teaching satisfaction: Durham: 94%, St Andrews 95%
3) I have no idea but to be honest I do not think it really matters.. Both universities have a lot of different nationalities
4) for English Literature Durham places third whereas St Andrews places 5th.

Both Universities have got a good reputation, Durham is part of the "Russel Group universities" (elite universities in the UK, the British version of Ivy League), St Andrews isnt part of it which I do not understand...........Overall both Universities will look impressive on your CV so go wherever you feel you will be happier :smile:
Good Luck with your decision and Congratulations on your offers! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Varya
Hey guys,
I'm an International student wanting to study English Literature at the undergraduate level this year. I got an offer from Durham and St Andrews. The problem is that I dont know which one is better! :/ HELP?

1) Which university is more student friendly?
2) Which is ranked higher? (there are sooo many league tables with different rankings, that it confuses me)
3) What is the Indian population like at both these universities?
4) Which English Dept./ course is better?

Thanks a ton.

I know it's clichéd and probably not very helpful to you but there really is no such thing as the "better" university. St Andrews, Durham, and at least 30-odd other UK universities are all broadly comparable.

A fairer question is which is the better department, as although the universities themselves may be broadly comparable (in the sense that all are among our strongest universities with strength across the faculties) this doesn't mean that all departments are strong and that one university won't offer a strong English programme than the other.

I know Durham's English department is certainly very strong. Durham my time at Durham (studying Philosophy and Politics) I did hear complaints from students studying English that they didn't receive enough contact hours (and the amount of supervision they have during their final year dissertations is, or certainly was, derisory). However, it does have a high student satisfaction rate and most students spoke very positively of the teaching.

As for rankings, both have ranked in the top five to eight in the last few years (in overall rankings). Though St Andrews has probably ranked above Durham more than Durham has above St Andrews you shouldn't place much weight in this given that even 15 places in a league table is not really significant, let alone two or three (two or three usually being the difference between Durham and St Andrews).

As for Indian intake, both are smaller universities and neither will have a large intake of Indian students. At undergraduate level both are very white European/North American dominated. Although Durham does have a decent international intake, most are from China, the US, elsewhere in Europe and the Middle East.

Durham did used to have online statistics showing the country of origin for all entrants in any given year. I can't seem to find them at the moment, unfortunately.

Original post by Tasha 11

Both Universities have got a good reputation, Durham is part of the "Russel Group universities" (elite universities in the UK, the British version of Ivy League), St Andrews isnt part of it which I do not understand...........Overall both Universities will look impressive on your CV so go wherever you feel you will be happier :smile:

The Russell Group is certainly not "the British Ivy League". The Ivy League is an athletics conference comprising of private colleges in the north east United states (so is do to with sport and geography). The Russell Group is a lobbying group for large research intensive universities (so is to do with research income and output). The Russell Group isn't a selection of "best" universities.

St Andrews is not in the Russell Group as it is not as large as most Russell Group members and doesn't have as large a research income (or perhaps has been invited in the past but feels the 1994 Group suits its interests better). As mentioned, it is in the 1994 Group which is a similar lobbying group for smaller research intensive universities.

A number of universities now in the Russell Group were part of the 1994 Group at one time (Durham, York, LSE, Warwick, Queen Mary, Exeter).
Reply 3
To be honest, both universities seem to have very good, prestigious departments and if I were you I'd take into consideration the different course structures more than anything else. St Andrews is a Scottish uni, so you'll do 4 years (which, since you're an international, might be considerably more expensive) and in the first 2 years you'll get to do outside subjects, at Durham you only do 3 years and the opportunities to study non-Eng-lit courses are a lot more limited.
Reply 4
Original post by andyyy
To be honest, both universities seem to have very good, prestigious departments and if I were you I'd take into consideration the different course structures more than anything else. St Andrews is a Scottish uni, so you'll do 4 years (which, since you're an international, might be considerably more expensive) and in the first 2 years you'll get to do outside subjects, at Durham you only do 3 years and the opportunities to study non-Eng-lit courses are a lot more limited.
<br />
<br />
Thank you! If I were to compare the degree structures at both these universities, it is seen that st andrews has a 4year yet very flexible structure as it based on the american system of education but at durham I get the degree a year earlier which is a benefit but I get stuck to one subject. I know I'm picking your brains too much but which one seems to be a better idea? It seems the problem I'm in is a good one :P just want your opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by River85
I know it's clichéd and probably not very helpful to you but there really is no such thing as the &quot;better&quot; university. St Andrews, Durham, and at least 30-odd other UK universities are all broadly comparable.<br />
<br />
A fairer question is which is the better department, as although the universities themselves may be broadly comparable (in the sense that all are among our strongest universities with strength across the faculties) this doesn't mean that all departments are strong and that one university won't offer a strong English programme than the other.<br />
<br />
I know Durham's English department is certainly very strong. Durham my time at Durham (studying Philosophy and Politics) I did hear complaints from students studying English that they didn't receive enough contact hours (and the amount of supervision they have during their final year dissertations is, or certainly was, derisory). However, it does have a high student satisfaction rate and most students spoke very positively of the teaching.<br />
<br />
As for rankings, both have ranked in the top five to eight in the last few years (in overall rankings). Though St Andrews has probably ranked above Durham more than Durham has above St Andrews you shouldn't place much weight in this given that even 15 places in a league table is not really significant, let alone two or three (two or three usually being the difference between Durham and St Andrews).<br />
<br />
As for Indian intake, both are smaller universities and neither will have a large intake of Indian students. At undergraduate level both are very white European/North American dominated. Although Durham does have a decent international intake, most are from China, the US, elsewhere in Europe and the Middle East.<br />
<br />
Durham did used to have online statistics showing the country of origin for all entrants in any given year. I can't seem to find them at the moment, unfortunately.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
The Russell Group is certainly not &quot;the British Ivy League&quot;. The Ivy League is an athletics conference comprising of private colleges in the north east United states (so is do to with sport and geography). The Russell Group is a lobbying group for large research intensive universities (so is to do with research income and output). The Russell Group isn't a selection of &quot;best&quot; universities.<br />
<br />
St Andrews is not in the Russell Group as it is not as large as most Russell Group members and doesn't have as large a research income (or perhaps has been invited in the past but feels the 1994 Group suits its interests better). As mentioned, it is in the 1994 Group which is a similar lobbying group for smaller research intensive universities.<br />
<br />
A number of universities now in the Russell Group were part of the 1994 Group at one time (Durham, York, LSE, Warwick, Queen Mary, Exeter).
<br />
<br />
Thankyou! The only way in which I can make my university choice is by comparing them based on the questions I asked (and other basis like location, expense etc.) The one which seems more viable and comfortable to me gets the title of 'better' . I know its subjective and that is the reason why I posted here so that well informed people like you can help me make up my mind. :smile: although the English dept. At durham is stronger based on ranking, do you think that the decison to go to a uni should be based purely on the excellence or strength of the dept. That I want to study in? Or should it be based on other factors that the league tables consider on the whole? And to you which degree structure seems beTter? The 4 year very flexible structure at st andrews or the very rigid structure at durham where you get the degree faster and save a year? I'm sorry for picking your brain and thankyou for all the information. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Varya
<br />
<br />
Thankyou! The only way in which I can make my university choice is by comparing them based on the questions I asked (and other basis like location, expense etc.) The one which seems more viable and comfortable to me gets the title of 'better' . I know its subjective and that is the reason why I posted here so that well informed people like you can help me make up my mind. :smile:

Yes, of course you need to chose based on the criteria you feel is important such as location and course content and there will be a "better" university as far as you are concerned.

My point was more in comparing the academic strength of them generally, including league table positions. Both are comparable so there is no "better" university in this respect. Most of the universities that rank in the top forty or so of the league tables are comparable very broadly speaking (although individual department strength will differ).

although the English dept. At durham is stronger based on ranking, do you think that the decison to go to a uni should be based purely on the excellence or strength of the dept. That I want to study in? Or should it be based on other factors that the league tables consider on the whole?

As I said, there is no difference between them in terms of league table ranking either for the universities as a whole or the department.

The problem with league tables is that they try and portray this ladder that doesn't actually exist. By ladder, I mean a structure of university a is better than university b which is better than c and so on. This isn't actually the case when a large number of universities are broadly comparable.

Even if we do take the league table positions, the positions of St Andrews and Durham (both overall and in English) are effectively the same. There is only a couple of places difference which is no difference at all.

What are your thoughts about St Andrews and Durham in terms of the course content at each and location? Those are the areas where they do differ, and are areas you are interested in.

And to you which degree structure seems beTter? The 4 year very flexible structure at st andrews or the very rigid structure at durham where you get the degree faster and save a year? I'm sorry for picking your brain and thankyou for all the information. :biggrin:

It depends on how much value you place on the flexibility of the Scottish system and whether this flexibility is worth the expense of an additional year (tuition and living costs). Durham's course is still quite flexible and will allow you to study modules from outside the department in each year if you want to.

Have you seek the faculty handbook for Durham's English programme? It gives a list of all of the current modules a student can take

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/q300.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by River85

What are your thoughts about St Andrews and Durham in terms of the course content at each and location? Those are the areas where they do differ, and are areas you are interested in.

It depends on how much value you place on the flexibility of the Scottish system and whether this flexibility is worth the expense of an additional year (tuition and living costs). Durham's course is still quite flexible and will allow you to study modules from outside the department in each year if you want to.

Have you seek the faculty handbook for Durham's English programme? It gives a list of all of the current modules a student can take

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/q300.pdf

I prefer the St andrews course and i found it more interesting after going through the faculty manual you sent me. I think it is St andrews for me. Even though it is located at a very inconvenient place and seems far away from the rest of civilization right now, i guess the syllabus makes up for it. Are you an undergrad student?. Thanks a billion for your help.
Reply 8
Hi Varya, I wanted to ask you which country you are from? And which uni did you choose? And when did you get you're reply? Also if possible could you tell me if I am good enough for Durham and St andrews by looking at my experiences and qualifications. It would be of great help. I've written them below . Thank you so much. I'm just really nervous. ������

I volunteer at an elderly home for patients with dementia and at a school for autistic children related to Bsc psychology I also work and play a lot of sports (competitive) and I was house prefect at my school. Is that good enough along with getting the following Grades (class 12th indian cbse board relevent to our A-Levels)
Psychology93%
History 88%
English 85%
Geography96%
Economics 92%
Total:90.8%

Class 10 maths: B1
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending