The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out of university

because I do not like my course and my university. Nothing more and nothing less. However everyone I've tried to talk to about this have said it's a really bad idea. I've explained that I want to resit my A-Levels this year to go to a better university for my course (The current university is pretty terrible and not what I expected)

Either way i'll be sitting my A-Level exams (4 in total) this summer. Would it be better for me to drop out and focus on the A-Level or attempt to do both at the same time? I would have said the second option would be far far better but my parents seem to think this is a really bad idea and I cannot see why :/

:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Have you looked into transfering to another university, even if you have to re-do you first year?

Contact universities directly with your predicted A level results and ask for general advice, its easier to change across than to leave the system and reapply through UCAS.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Lisadee88
Have you looked into transfering to another university, even if you have to re-do you first year?

Contact universities directly with your predicted A level results and ask for general advice, its easier to change across than to leave the system and reapply through UCAS.

Good luck!

I've been in talks with 2. Leeds have given me a lower offer and I have to achieve that this year which is what I really want to do. I'd have to still start from the first year which I don't mind too much so i've already got a game plan, it's just convincing my parents to let me leave university :/
Leave the uni.... that's what i did. No point in being unhappy.
Reply 4
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Leave the uni.... that's what i did. No point in being unhappy.

I wish it was as simple as that but my parents are really not happy about this. Plus does that mean I have to pay back the money i've already recieved from Student Finance?

ps. I absolutely adore Azealia Banks :tongue: :redface:
Original post by YB101
I wish it was as simple as that but my parents are really not happy about this. Plus does that mean I have to pay back the money i've already recieved from Student Finance?

ps. I absolutely adore Azealia Banks :tongue: :redface:

I went to my uni for a year... i think you do don;t need to pay anything because i didn't. Going to uni again this september.

My parents weren't happy about it either (I haven't told my dad yet)
I lived at home also, so i didn't really experience student life.
I hated the course and the uni.

I love azealia too :colondollar:

Do you live on campus.....is a transfer possible?
Reply 6
You will be liable for your tuition fee loan, as you are still enrolled on current course and it has been running for more than 90 days. However you do not have to start repayments until the April after you leave the course and only if earn more than £21000, if you are subject to the September 2012 fee regime. So it would not be wise to officially leave before April 2013. If you don't stay enrolled until the summer term has started, you may not be eligible to recieve the summer maintenance loan payment if you are eligible for that.

As you are planning to start a new course in September, your loan repayments (tuition and maintenance for your current and future course) should be deferred until you complete the course you start in September. You may need to complete some paperwork with the student loan company to confirm that you are not eligible to start loan repayments for the course you are leaving. So don't ignore letters for the student loan company or assume that because you get confirmation of loan for your new course that their records have been properly reconciled.

If you complete your 1st year successfully of your current course, it may act as an insurance policy if your A level retakes do not meet your needs. Or you have a change of heart about what you want to do.

Staying on until at least the end of April, should trigger your final maintenance loan payment if you are eligible. Otherwise you may have to rely on parents finanncially between leaving your current course and starting a new course. You are unlikely to be eligible for job seekers allowance income based as you will not be available for work due to your A level studies.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what you want to do. But if you need the support of your parents to achieve your goals, it would be wise to take a little time to explain your plans in detail to them and try and get them into a fully supportive mode. Hopefully, once they understand your plans, they might be reassured that you have realistic plan in place.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest