The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level: what are my choices?

Hi there,

I joined "Student room" moments ago in the hopes of finding a few answers in regards to a full EDEXCEL maths A-level.

Now, I am a mature student who's just gone back into education in hopes of pursuing a possible career in engineering. Now I am currently taking an extended diploma in mechanical engineering. What I have only just realized however, is that the mathematics taught at BTEC standard wont prepare me enough for a degree, and the way I see it is if I'm not ready, then I'm not going. After speaking with some of the lecturers at my college, they have advised me that a maths A-level is the best course of action.

Now, as for my queries:

1. What are the modules you take in the first year (AS) of a mathematics A-Level? would I be correct in saying core 1, core 2 and finally an additional module (in this instance: mechanics 1)

If that's the case then naturally, would I follow up in 2nd year with: Cores 3 & 4 along with mechanics 2?

See, my confusion lies with the edexcel specification listing Mechanics modules 3 & 4, would those also be included in a 2nd year of A-Level? or would that just be for a further maths A level?

If anybody could please confirm to me that it is indeed cores 1-4 with the additional modules (mechanics 1-2) that fully qualifies for a Maths A level, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, on a final note, does anybody here know how much so the maths A levels in particular will alter what with the education reform coming into effect? I mean, naturally I would presume for the first year, Cores 1, 2 and the additional module of your choosing would be bunched into one exam? have any details regarding this, been unveiled? if so could you please send me a link?

Many thanks

Phill
Original post by Rebootrosied
Hi there,

I joined "Student room" moments ago in the hopes of finding a few answers in regards to a full EDEXCEL maths A-level.

Now, I am a mature student who's just gone back into education in hopes of pursuing a possible career in engineering. Now I am currently taking an extended diploma in mechanical engineering. What I have only just realized however, is that the mathematics taught at BTEC standard wont prepare me enough for a degree, and the way I see it is if I'm not ready, then I'm not going. After speaking with some of the lecturers at my college, they have advised me that a maths A-level is the best course of action.

Now, as for my queries:

1. What are the modules you take in the first year (AS) of a mathematics A-Level? would I be correct in saying core 1, core 2 and finally an additional module (in this instance: mechanics 1)

If that's the case then naturally, would I follow up in 2nd year with: Cores 3 & 4 along with mechanics 2?

See, my confusion lies with the edexcel specification listing Mechanics modules 3 & 4, would those also be included in a 2nd year of A-Level? or would that just be for a further maths A level?

If anybody could please confirm to me that it is indeed cores 1-4 with the additional modules (mechanics 1-2) that fully qualifies for a Maths A level, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, on a final note, does anybody here know how much so the maths A levels in particular will alter what with the education reform coming into effect? I mean, naturally I would presume for the first year, Cores 1, 2 and the additional module of your choosing would be bunched into one exam? have any details regarding this, been unveiled? if so could you please send me a link?

Many thanks

Phill

The way I did it was
AS: Core 1, Core 2, Statistics 2
A: Core 3, Core 4, Mechanics 1

You take the 4 core modules as standard then we had the decision between Statistics, Decision or Mechanics. The way my lessons were structured meant that I did S1 and then M1. But I think you can basically do any 2 out of the 6 (S1, S2, M1, M2, D1, D2) and it counts as your applied units.
Reply 2
Original post by Rebootrosied
Hi there,

Now, as for my queries:

Many thanks

Phill

Basically, yes: first year will be C1, C2 and an applied module (M1, S1 or D1); second year will be C3, C4 and another applied module (either M1, S1 or D1 if you didn't choose these in 1st year, or M2, S2, D2 if you did the corresponding level-1 module in 1st year).

Higher-numbered modules (S3,M3 etc) are only available if you are doing Further Maths and have already covered the material in lower-numbered modules (S1 and S2 or M1 and M2 respectively).

I don't think any details have yet been published about the structure of the new-style AS and A-levels, but I would "expect" something like: two June papers of 3 hours each, one covering the Core Maths you've covered and one covering the Applied side. Not something you should worry too much about till it happens though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending