The Student Room Group

THOMAS CAMPION English Prize 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AWJC
Hello guys, I hope you're all getting along well with their essays. I'm in disbelief the deadline is so very near!

I was just wondering how you are all referencing your essays. I'm using Harvard referencing, but struggling in places and I'm just searching for some reassurance that this is the right thing to do. What's everyone else doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

I haven't actually started writing yet...
Reply 21
Hi all! :smile: This may be a silly question, but is the word limit for the Peterhouse Thomas Campion English Prize a strict limit, or simply a guide? The Cambridge website specifies 1,500 to 2,500 words and seems pretty clear, but I just wondered whether this was the case? Thanks in advance!
Original post by JosephConradu
I haven't actually started writing yet...

Glad someone else in the same boat :biggrin: When do you think would be a good day to post it? Not sure I trust the British postal system... :P
Reply 23
Original post by thebrokebookworm
Glad someone else in the same boat :biggrin: When do you think would be a good day to post it? Not sure I trust the British postal system... :P

Ironic as it is that I started this thread, but I haven't started mine either!!! Hahaha I've no clue why I've left it to so late, I've read both my texts but researching and gathering my points to make an essay of around 2000 words just seems way, too, daunting at the moment. I'm literally just about to try starting though. Well, the plan.. :confused:

I'm posting mine on Thursday, well I live in Dubai so I'm doing it by courier, hoping it'll be there before the 22nd..good luck!
Reply 24
Original post by dlaiden
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I'll just stick to what I'm doing now then. :smile: It wasn't my intention to ask for tips of what to write though, more clarification of what was acceptable. For the Newnham College essay prize entrants are given some general clarification on what the judges might expect to find in an entry, and I was slightly surprised that Peterhouse didn't. But I do suppose that they are separate colleges, and would have different ways of doing things.

But what was it like to take part? Did you meet any of the English professors at the awards ceremony? (Silly question as you likely did, but still.)

Yeah, I know it wasn't :smile: Just wanted to say it publicly for anyone else.

It was really fun - but I was in so much shock opening that envelope. The awards ceremony was great - the other students that entered were (as you've probably figured out from this thread) all really interesting and friendly. Yep, you get to meet all of the English professors and the Admissions tutor over the course of the day and ask any questions, plus a tour of the college etc. The fellows are all lovely and keen to help.

Sorry this reply is late - I've been rushing around running sound and lighting for my school's 'Taming of the Shrew' this week.
Original post by cjwalker
Ironic as it is that I started this thread, but I haven't started mine either!!! Hahaha I've no clue why I've left it to so late, I've read both my texts but researching and gathering my points to make an essay of around 2000 words just seems way, too, daunting at the moment. I'm literally just about to try starting though. Well, the plan.. :confused:

I'm posting mine on Thursday, well I live in Dubai so I'm doing it by courier, hoping it'll be there before the 22nd..good luck!

I know, same, I'm such a procrastinator :L I've got the rough ideas it's just putting it all together haha...and wow Dubai, that essay's going to have quite a journey! Good luck to you too! :smile:
Seeing as the deadline is this Friday, how's everyone getting on? I'm just finishing up :smile:
Reply 27
Seeing as the deadline is this Friday, how's everyone getting on? I'm just finishing up :smile:

I've finished writing the essay itself; just going over my citations/references and making sure they're done to a decent standard. :smile: Also had an English teacher look over it - not editing or anything, but just giving me a general opinion. I was supposed to submit it last week, but I'll post it tomorrow first-class. Hopefully it'll reach Cambridge in time! And who knows; some of us might see each other there if we're successful! :wink:

Kalliope
x

I think I see what you mean now about the fun of writing in the dark. It was actually really enjoyable to write an essay entirely outside of the school curriculum or anything. I'm actually rather proud of myself for doing that alone! :biggrin:
Sending mine off today... Had a panic last night that I had gone over the word count, so I madly cut it down! Hope it's still good... competition with these things is always so intense!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by dlaiden
I've finished writing the essay itself; just going over my citations/references and making sure they're done to a decent standard. :smile: Also had an English teacher look over it - not editing or anything, but just giving me a general opinion. I was supposed to submit it last week, but I'll post it tomorrow first-class. Hopefully it'll reach Cambridge in time! And who knows; some of us might see each other there if we're successful! :wink:

Cool! I'm really not sure about the referencing though...did you cite each quotation even if it was from the same book? I've got the same plan, hopefully posting tomorrow, or worst-case scenario, Wednesday :smile: that would be fab! good luck :smile:

Original post by ArtisticFlair
Sending mine off today... Had a panic last night that I had gone over the word count, so I madly cut it down! Hope it's still good... competition with these things is always so intense!

Same, I was so daunted by the whole 2,500 word limit, but then found I had so much to say that I had to cut it down :L I know, same! good luck :smile:
Reply 30

Cool! I'm really not sure about the referencing though...did you cite each quotation even if it was from the same book? I've got the same plan, hopefully posting tomorrow, or worst-case scenario, Wednesday :smile: that would be fab! good luck :smile:

Yeah, if I quoted but I'd already mentioned the book I just gave the page number in parentheses. I was using the MLA style of referencing; towards the end getting everything cited right actually stressed me out more than the writing itself. :s-smilie: I've finally set mine off though! I was thinking of entering the essay prize for Newnham too, but I think I'll just stick to exam revision until Summer. :biggrin: And thanks! You too! :smile:
Original post by dlaiden
Yeah, if I quoted but I'd already mentioned the book I just gave the page number in parentheses. I was using the MLA style of referencing; towards the end getting everything cited right actually stressed me out more than the writing itself. :s-smilie: I've finally set mine off though! I was thinking of entering the essay prize for Newnham too, but I think I'll just stick to exam revision until Summer. :biggrin: And thanks! You too! :smile:

Oh god, my referencing was all over the place! I didn't reference a diary entry from one of the writers I was discussing in the conclusion (oops...) Do you think this will be a big problem?! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Has anyone had a letter saying that they've won? I really don't expect to, just interested to see if anyone from this thread did well?
X
Reply 33
Has anyone had a letter saying that they've won? I really don't expect to, just interested to see if anyone from this thread did well?
X

No, but the letters have been sent out - just got the email. I didn't win, but then I didn't really expect too! Good luck to you and everyone else! :biggrin: I'm really just waiting to see the results of the Newnham essay competition...they haven't even mentioned on their website what month the results will be out. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

I honestly have no idea how, but I got a letter on Saturday saying that they'd awarded me first prize :colondollar:
Reply 35
I honestly have no idea how, but I got a letter on Saturday saying that they'd awarded me first prize :colondollar:

Hey, congratulations! That's great news. :biggrin: I guess I'll be seeing you there too - I came highly commended. I couldn't believe it - I wasn't expecting it at all. :colondollar:
Original post by AWJC
Hey, congratulations! That's great news. :biggrin: I guess I'll be seeing you there too - I came highly commended. I couldn't believe it - I wasn't expecting it at all. :colondollar:

Thank you - congrats to you too! Haha same, not sure it's fully sunk in yet :L See you there! :smile:)
Reply 37
Thank you - congrats to you too! Haha same, not sure it's fully sunk in yet :L See you there! :smile:)

Ahh... I didn't know about this comp! Would have entered had I known.. I'm really looking to submit essays to lots of places this year as it'll help with uni applications (make me look better than I am haha). All I've found so far though is the Connell Guides essay prize where you can write about anything you want and is judged by William Boyd.. Are any of you considering entering it/are there any others I should know about?!

Any tips would be much appreciated!

:smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Amano
Ahh... I didn't know about this comp! Would have entered had I known.. I'm really looking to submit essays to lots of places this year as it'll help with uni applications (make me look better than I am haha). All I've found so far though is the Connell Guides essay prize where you can write about anything you want and is judged by William Boyd.. Are any of you considering entering it/are there any others I should know about?!

Any tips would be much appreciated!

:smile:

Hi, I'm thinking of doing that but I've no idea what to write, I have some things in mind, what about you? I'll probably do something from Jane Eyre...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending