The Student Room Group

rejections for medicine - what do to!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yeah definitely - im going to try and work really hard and get at least one a* at a level, just depends on what my results are like, ill find out in 2 weeks! thanks for the suggestions!!!:smile::smile::smile:

Original post by fw953
Suggestions about where you could apply next year if you get AAAa/b improve your PS and possibly improving your UKCAT to 670/680: exeter, plymouth, liverpool, lancaster, St. Georges, BSMS and Sheffield and if you can get a A* (though this may not be needed but they give credit for them) UEA

also don't even make a statement in your PS about extra-curricular/volunteering/work experience without saying what you learnt from it. Last year I spent a whole paragraph talking about one thing I learnt, which just isn't enough. You don't need to expand too much, that's what interviews are mostly for (I say mostly because some uni's don't use your PS for interview)
Reply 21
yeah definitely going for a course next year for the ukcat! I wish i had done a course for the ukcat, really regret it :frown:
and yeah, honestly dont care where I go next year if i dont get in this year, just anywhere thats not heavily PBL :smile: thanks!

QUOTE=nkspence1;41386590]They're good, the AA in English can be especially important. I would wait until you did the UKCAT again before deciding and then do some very thorough research into where you are likely to get into. There are other important things too such as where you like, what sort of place would suit you etc. I would advise doing a course for the UKCAT, they are very expensive but i found mine well worth it. I reckon it upped my score by at least 100 points on what i was getting previously. Also, make some really solid gap year plans that you can talk about during interview, a lot of volunteering and maybe a bit of travelling or getting a job would probably go down well. The best advice i could give would be to apply strategically, to places that are most likely to accept you! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by mariaaaaaaaa
yeah im considering a course for the ukcat, most people in my school who got a really good score went to a course! do yo know where i would have a better chance at applying to next year? Where did you apply, where are you now, what was your application like [grade etc]

Thanks!!

:smile:

u

Okay, because your 4th AS might be a C I would apply to places that don't look at that like Manchester and nottingham I know for sure, I also think Newcastle doesnt look also bt not sue about them. But remember that Manc and Newcastle choose applicants they interview based on their ukcat. If ur UKCAT is between 650-680 I would defo apply to Manc, Newcastle apparently have a high cut off so I would only apply there if you have a UKCAT >680. Glasgow is an option too, and their cut-off is around 650.
But do some research and find out more places like those. You could also buy books to help with ur ukcat. The 600 ukcat qs is a good one, I used it to get my score from 615 last yr to 679 this yr.

Your wex is amazing, so u just have to make sure that you properly put it across in ur PS (like stuff u learnt and why u think it's relevant for medicine). On loads of uni websites they write out what they look for in personal statements on so when ur writing urs up use those as like a mark-scheme so u make sure that ur ticking all their boxes. Manchester has a really good one that I used to write my PS this year.

Those are my suggestions, if you do re-apply make sure the unis look at reapplicants fairly (I know Liverpool dont)
And if I were u I would stay away from Barts, Queen Mary Belfast and Birmingham.
Good luck :smile:

I got 4 rejections last yr and I reapplied this yr and I got into Manchester :biggrin: so don't feel too bad, it happens alot.

Oh yh in Newcastle if you're on a biomed degree (and a few others) u can apply to the medical school after ur first yr so it's worth thinking about that for ur 5th option.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
yeah im resitting my forth AS, resat one module this jan, will resit the other in june and hopefully get at least a B. Nottingham want A's in all three sciences at GCSE, my bloody Biology let me down by 1 UMS! how annoying!!

I didnt know about newcastle biomed! I applied for pharmacology with spanish at manc and got a conditional offer for that you cant transfer until you graduate.

how do i find out which unis look at reapplicants fairly? surely they all should!!

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Original post by elitemodella
Okay, because your 4th AS might be a C I would apply to places that don't look at that like Manchester and nottingham I know for sure, I also think Newcastle doesnt look also bt not sue about them. But remember that Manc and Newcastle choose applicants they interview based on their ukcat. If ur UKCAT is between 650-680 I would defo apply to Manc, Newcastle apparently have a high cut off so I would only apply there if you have a UKCAT >680. Glasgow is an option too, and their cut-off is around 650.
But do some research and find out more places like those. You could also buy books to help with ur ukcat. The 600 ukcat qs is a good one, I used it to get my score from 615 last yr to 679 this yr.

Your wex is amazing, so u just have to make sure that you properly put it across in ur PS (like stuff u learnt and why u think it's relevant for medicine). On loads of uni websites they write out what they look for in personal statements on so when ur writing urs up use those as like a mark-scheme so u make sure that ur ticking all their boxes. Manchester has a really good one that I used to write my PS this year.

Those are my suggestions, if you do re-apply make sure the unis look at reapplicants fairly (I know Liverpool dont)
And if I were u I would stay away from Barts, Queen Mary Belfast and Birmingham.

I got 4 rejections last yr and I reapplied this yr and I got into Manchester :biggrin: so don't feel too bad, it happens alot.

Oh yh in Newcastle if you're on a biomed degree (and a few others) u can apply to the medical school after ur first yr so it's worth thinking about that for ur 5th option.
Original post by mariaaaaaaaa
yeah im resitting my forth AS, resat one module this jan, will resit the other in june and hopefully get at least a B. Nottingham want A's in all three sciences at GCSE, my bloody Biology let me down by 1 UMS! how annoying!!

I didnt know about newcastle biomed! I applied for pharmacology with spanish at manc and got a conditional offer for that you cant transfer until you graduate.

how do i find out which unis look at reapplicants fairly? surely they all should!!

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Most unis have their re-application policies on their websites, by reapplicants I mean ppl who have applied to the same uni twice.
Reply 25
Original post by Alex_Jones
Everything looks good just don't forget that you can never have to much experience when applying for medicine as its all beneficial

Thanks!! :biggrin:D what to do if i get rejected.. - GRADUATE PROGRAM!!!! :biggrin:D

Quick Reply