The Student Room Group

What does it mean when a guy only ever stares at your face and...

not your body or something? And when you catch him he either looks away quickly - either looks down or pretends he didn't see me

I don't have an unattractive body tbh but why does he ONLY stare at my face. I've checked and there was nothing on my face when he stares. He told my friend (also his friend) that he thinks I'm really pretty. Is he only staring because he thinks I'm attractive? Or is he staring because he's interested in me? Not that I'm complaining, but why does he never stare at my body? I thought it was a guy thing. Every time I catch him, he's always looking at my face and never anywhere else. I'm also confused because we've never spoken, why doesn't he say anything to me? Or even smile when I smile at him when I catch him staring? He just quickly looks away when I smile at him and fidgets/looks uncomfortable, which then makes me regret smiling because I feel like a creep.

Why does he do this? And don't tell me "because he likes you" because we've never spoken. I think he's cute, but what's with all the staring if he's never going to speak to me? The other day I caught him peeking at him and I looked him in the eye and smiled politely (not a 'normal' or 'big' smile because I don't want to freak him out like before), then he broke off the eye contact after like 1 second and looked down quickly. What's his deal?

Scroll to see replies

He's probably just really shy. I never talk to girls either for the same reason. Even when a girl in my class started talking to me the other day I had no idea what to say
Reply 2
He's just nervous. Not every decision he makes is going to be rational if he's shy around you, he's going to be defensive, looking down or away is like an automatic self-defence mechanism to avoid socially awkward situations like eye-contact and smiling.

Try talking to him or saying hi if you want him to open up to you a bit more.

And lol, not all guys will stare at your body.
Reply 3
It's logical that he stares at you, because both, males and females, do like seeing beautiful things. Theese views are first sign that he COULD be interested in you. Just like somebody said, he's too shy to come over and say hi. If you would like to talk to him, just start first, as you're passing through, just start saying hi and probably you guys will start talking
just assume that when your back is turned, he's looking elsewhere
Sounds like you're interested in this guy and it looks as if he's interested in you, and since he's most likely not going to approach you (just appreciate from afar) you might as well start up a convo with him otherwise nothing is going to develop.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Fox
Oh great, now girls complain we're NOT staring at their boobs :facepalm:

Lol I didn't mean it like that and I respect him for not staring at my body but I thought guys usually stare at the body... haha Idk I guess I was just curious
200px-Rajesh_Koothrappali.jpg

If it's this guy, then give him a Mojito.

If not, then it sounds like he's very shy around you because he genuinely thinks you're pretty and as cheesy as it sounds wants to get to know you better but is worried about getting off on the wrong foot and initiating conversation himself. If he confessed to your friend that he thinks you're pretty then this behaviour isn't likely to be something else. If he is looking at you (or even if he isn't) start a conversation with him that preferably doesn't begin with "why are you looking at me?". You might find out he's a very nice guy and I'm sure it'd make him feel better/have a bit more confidence too.
For some guys actually making a move is the most terrifying thing imaginable.
Original post by kmt doe
not your body or something? And when you catch him he either looks away quickly - either looks down or pretends he didn't see me

*Guys are constantly warned against looking at womens bodies because it's regarded as annoying at best and peverted at worst, so men teach themselves to avoid obviously checking out women and thus appearing to assess them sexually*

"WHY WON'T GUYS LOOK AT MY BODY!? :'( I must be a total uggo!"

(I appreciate I made a pretty crude generalization, mostly for entertainment purpouses. OP, chances are he just isn't a pevert and has enough self control to not obviously be checking you out, especially when you are aware and looking back.)
Maybe he's just polite and respectful and knows the boundaries about not looking at woman's bodies. he's being respectful.. appreciate it. Stop asking for guys to look at your body.. do you want to be an easy target or a slut?
No.
Reply 11
Original post by kmt doe
Lol I didn't mean it like that and I respect him for not staring at my body but I thought guys usually stare at the body... haha Idk I guess I was just curious

I know what you meant, just couldn't resist :wink:
Reply 12
He sounds respectable. Unlike the vulgar louts screeching "bird" whenever they see an individual of the opposite sex.
Original post by + polarity -
just assume that when your back is turned, he's looking elsewhere

This.
Reply 14
Its a good thing, usually you might notice something you like about a girls body and take a peak and nothing more, just as a woman might do with a man whose body or features she likes, but it doesnt always mean anything or go anywhere.

Staring at the face imo as long as its not a malicious stare lol, is a good thing, it suggests they like the way you look, and would maybe like to know more about you or even talk to you (but unfortunately they are probably too shy if they havent done so already).

I'm no expert and alot of people may disagree with me so can i just say

Source: personal experience, used to be shy as are most of my friends, now im not so shy alot more confident and in a happy relationship (I did go up n talk to "that girl") :smile:
Reply 15
LOL most ridicous thing ive ever read in my life. So you want him to stare at your body? So when he does stare at your body youll be complaining that hes staring at if :s-smilie: Girls be complicatin nd ****
Reply 16
Maybe he prefers a cute face?
You've got it good. Guys only ever stare at my body.
Reply 18
Original post by Iron Lady
He sounds respectable. Unlike the vulgar louts screeching "bird" whenever they see an individual of the opposite sex.

Or yelling "show us yer tits!" at passersby lol. I think he sounds respectable too - it's not everyday you see a respectable teenage guy. Maybe I should approach him
Reply 19
Sorry to bother youse again but why is he doing this? Just as I was trying to build up the courage to speak to him as well...

I'm really confused because ever since that awkward stare (which he looked away from first after I sorta smiled at him) he has started to 'avoid' me. I don't know how best to put it because we don't officially know each other but (not that I'm a stalker or anything) he sits right in the front where old people usually sit on the bus whenever he sees me on the same bus. Today, I saw him on the bus and I know his favourite seat is the back (right at the back or the row behind my favourite seat) because I always used to see him sit there before that stare happened. Anyway, he got on the bus and looked like he was going to go to his favourite seat at the back then saw me and moved back to sit down right at the front, near the driver. I know this is going to sound proper creepy, but he never used to sit there before that stare happened - he would always sit at the back. And now he goes to a different stop (not the stop we're both usually at). Did I scare him away? Is he doing this because he doesn't want me to get the wrong impression? Or is he shy/have social anxiety or something? What is actually going on? All I know is that I like him but I don't know about him. He said I was pretty to my friend last year, but I don't know if he still thinks it. So, I don't want to approach him thinking he still thinks that and making an utter fool of myself. It's really doing my head in and I've only got less than 4 months to make a move before I never see him again. We're leaving college in 4 months...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending