The Student Room Group

How strict are entry requirements?

This may seem like a silly question, but how strict are entry requirements?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I got a grade C in English Lang and Lit. A big part of why I 'underachieved' is because I had only used English as a first language 2 years prior to taking my exams. Couple that with the Ofqual scandal (any news on that by the way?)and it all adds up to a poor result. Will universities overlook this based on my circumstances? Or is it straight to the bin? I mean, I might be able to explain why in my personal statement, but chances are if my grades are bad they won't even look at it, right?

Thanks, appreciate any help.
Reply 1
Is this for GCSE or a level?

If this is for gcse, they are pretty strict. When they first go through applicants, the computer highlights all of the applicants who don't reach the entry requirements, then they reject them (or at least put them on the rejection list) because it's so competitive.

I guess you could try for mitigating circumstances, but i think you had to do them whilst/before doing the exams, so it may be a bit late??

Tbh, i think your best bet is to either apply to schools that don't mind the C in english, or to resit the exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jess_m94
Is this for GCSE or a level?

If this is for gcse, they are pretty strict. When they first go through applicants, the computer highlights all of the applicants who don't reach the entry requirements, then they reject them (or at least put them on the rejection list) because it's so competitive.

I guess you could try for mitigating circumstances, but i think you had to do them whilst/before doing the exams, so it may be a bit late??

Tbh, i think your best bet is to either apply to schools that don't mind the C in english, or to resit the exams :smile:

Yeah, it's GCSE. I don't think many uni's accept resits. The issue is most uni's I want to apply for want a B or above. :/
Wish I knew that I would need good grades in subjects other than Maths and Science.
Reply 3
Original post by Lazy-
Yeah, it's GCSE. I don't think many uni's accept resits. The issue is most uni's I want to apply for want a B or above. :/
Wish I knew that I would need good grades in subjects other than Maths and Science.

What year are you in?

I'm pretty sure most unis do allow gcse resits, not sure about how they feel when you resit them during a levels though. I would say email the universities and ask them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jess_m94
What year are you in?

I'm pretty sure most unis do allow gcse resits, not sure about how they feel when you resit them during a levels though. I would say email the universities and ask them :smile:

I am currently in year 12, which is why I have chosen not to resit. Thanks for the advice, will probably email a few universities.
Reply 5
I had to do the same a few years back when I was doing GCSE, I chose the resit and got a B. I spoke to many universities and some did not mind it. For example Manchester said it was fine, so did Imperial and a few others. But a few were not happy about it such as Liverpool, King's ect, mainly the GCSE heavy schools. My GCSEs are not good enough for places like KCL and Birmingham so it did not matter but its left me in a situation where I need a high UKCAT score or an amazing personal statement to actually succeed in my medicine application, so it could be the same for you. All in all id resit it because by not resitting your just limiting places anyway, the real problem would have been if you got less than a C because then that could have potentially struck of more medical schools of your list. Good luck anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending