The Student Room Group

Why I'm deeply against gay marriage.

Scroll to see replies

Why the **** would you even bother taking the time to write this. Waste of time .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
They can't

A non religious wedding between a straight couple is a civil ceremony.

The inequality is that when the straight couple have a civil ceremony they're still referred to as married, not "civil partnership-ed" and they're husband and wife no "civil partners"

Either way there has to be equality so if they gave straight couples the right to a civil partnership then people would ask " if they wanted equality why didnt they let gay couples have marriage" no ones ever happy
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Care-Free
A non religious wedding between a straight couple is a civil ceremony.

Aye, but that's different to a civil partnership isn't it?
Original post by YThursday
Why, if Cameron did this to increase equality, did he not allow straight couples to have civil partnerships?

Original post by Calllu-m
Straight couples can have civil marriages hahaha

He was referring to civil partnerships, not civil marriage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why, if Cameron did this to increase equality, did he not allow straight couples to have civil partnerships?

I went to the house of commons to receive the results of the vote a few weeks ago. Peter Tatchell was talking with a small group of us and made clear how important that the gay marriage issue is brought up with the issue of hetero civil partnerships hand in hand. Problem is that there just hasnt been as much demand and noise/attention for civil partnerships within heterosexual community. So the lack of lobbying has probably made it appear less prominent at this time. I do agree with that principle though.
Original post by Eveiebaby
I went to the house of commons to receive the results of the vote a few weeks ago. Peter Tatchell was talking with a small group of us and made clear how important that the gay marriage issue is brought up with the issue of hetero civil partnerships hand in hand. Problem is that there just hasnt been as much demand and noise/attention for civil partnerships within heterosexual community. So the lack of lobbying has probably made it appear less prominent at this time. I do agree with that principle though.

My deal is that surely it could just be tacked onto the end of the bill that was being signed in the first place. Yes, there might not be all that much call for it, but there is still some. Surely he is ignoring an even bigger minority here.
My deal is that surely it could just be tacked onto the end of the bill that was being signed in the first place. Yes, there might not be all that much call for it, but there is still some. Surely he is ignoring an even bigger minority here.

It would most likely fall under a separate bill, tacking it onto the end of the same-sex marriage bill would make things more complex in terms of voting. Although I may be wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending