The Student Room Group

Very confused about loans

Hi all,

I have just applied for student finance. I have applied using no income information. My family cannot financially support me, however it appears I can get more finance help if I add their income. Will my parents have to pay money so I can get this extra grant?. I want to survive at uni but I don't want my parents to be handed a bill. My dad said he will have to pay 2k to them so I can get this loan(I think it's called maintenance grant, not the loan), but I am doubtful. Hope this makes sense :/

- Lucy
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not sure where you got that information, it's not the true. Would kind of defeats the purpose tbh. My parents gave financial info on the basis of which my loan was increased, so it's definitely worth a try. Depending on their income you could even get some of it as a grant (ie. you wouldn't have to pay that bit back).
Reply 2
amd1 is correct.

It's worth applying to be income assessed for a maintenance grant based on your parents income.
Reply 3
Original post by amd1
I'm not sure where you got that information, it's not the true. Would kind of defeats the purpose tbh. My parents gave financial info on the basis of which my loan was increased, so it's definitely worth a try. Depending on their income you could even get some of it as a grant (ie. you wouldn't have to pay that bit back).

Thanks both, I used the calculator and it said I could get more finance help. I will use my parents income and see what happens next haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending