The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexschmalex
£50k after 20+ years sounds way too low imo, especially considering that most jobs start at like £25-28k after you graduate....that's like way too little room for growth to me! I wonder if that's just here in the UK though or global

My company specifies its salary ranges on the company intranet page. It goes graduate -> normal engineer -> incredibly smart and influential engineers (subject matter experts and project leaders) -> Manager -> up the food chain

There are normal engineers of all age groups and salary ranges from 30k to 50k (I believe). Incredibly smart and influential engineers have a salary range from 35k - 55k. Managers get 50k+ and the chance to have one of the companies products at an unbelievably low price.

It really depends where in the midlands you live. Yes, Coventry, Derby, Leicester and Birmingham are **** holes, but places like Leamington Spa and Stratford Upon Avon are really nice (basically Warwickshire and Oxfordshire). Having said that, these places often command higher house prices so people tend to live within driving distance of them.

There is a stat that says the average salary for a chartered engineer is 55k. This is skewed (I believe) based on the O&G industry. Take that away and I'm sure the figure is closer to if not just under 50k. Graduates are offered a high salary to get them into the company and then eventually moulded into a role. You earn way too much as a graduate for the responsibilities you are given, but they recoup this in later years when you'll be feeling underpaid for all the work you do.

Depending on your company, you may even get paid overtime at time and a half or more which can add a huge chunk to your salary, but then again this compromises work life balance.

£50k after 20 years (you'll be in your early forties) is probably about right if you're a competent engineer who doesn't want to be a manager. In america and germany, you'd get this salary straight out of college.
Reply 2441
In engineering the real money is in people management and having very good commercial/entrepreneurial skills. Technical roles can only get you so far before it becomes hard to earn any more.

That aside I realised I actually hate studying engineering. I mean the topics can be interesting sometimes but there is just absolutely no room for creativity it's just constant maths/physics formulas everywhere. The only thing that really allows you to be creative to a certain extent is CAD were you can have some freedom to kinda go crazy and make whatever you want. We rarely do any machining and stuff which I quite enjoyed when we did once in my first year :sad:
Original post by Like_A_G6
My company specifies its salary ranges on the company intranet page. It goes graduate -> normal engineer -> incredibly smart and influential engineers (subject matter experts and project leaders) -> Manager -> up the food chain

There are normal engineers of all age groups and salary ranges from 30k to 50k (I believe). Incredibly smart and influential engineers have a salary range from 35k - 55k. Managers get 50k+ and the chance to have one of the companies products at an unbelievably low price.

It really depends where in the midlands you live. Yes, Coventry, Derby, Leicester and Birmingham are **** holes, but places like Leamington Spa and Stratford Upon Avon are really nice (basically Warwickshire and Oxfordshire). Having said that, these places often command higher house prices so people tend to live within driving distance of them.

There is a stat that says the average salary for a chartered engineer is 55k. This is skewed (I believe) based on the O&G industry. Take that away and I'm sure the figure is closer to if not just under 50k. Graduates are offered a high salary to get them into the company and then eventually moulded into a role. You earn way too much as a graduate for the responsibilities you are given, but they recoup this in later years when you'll be feeling underpaid for all the work you do.

Depending on your company, you may even get paid overtime at time and a half or more which can add a huge chunk to your salary, but then again this compromises work life balance.

£50k after 20 years (you'll be in your early forties) is probably about right if you're a competent engineer who doesn't want to be a manager. In america and germany, you'd get this salary straight out of college.

Yup, but honestly changing countries seem so hard. Many countries want lots more exams and having diabetes doesn't help me at all.
Enginners in america and other countries make so so so much more. I know prices may be higher there but god damn, the uk pay is just abysimcal on average to other places. I live in bham and my parents make like 25k and that's a nice amount but for the effort you put in, very little rewards seem to come out.

Meh, I will try get the best degree at the best uni I can and figure out my options, I guess ill try get into oil and gas or some other well paying role. I feel the pay is just crap for how hard the content it is.

And I saw it 65k for chartered that's why I wanted to do it but yeh, some other guy was saying that some people go into different companies managing them. I wouldn't mind doing that or becoming a manager which scewes pay.

Industry seems so weak here.
I am sort of young but could the devil called marget thatcher have been an influence in this?
Original post by a10
In engineering the real money is in people management and having very good commercial/entrepreneurial skills. Technical roles can only get you so far before it becomes hard to earn any more.

That aside I realised I actually hate studying engineering. I mean the topics can be interesting sometimes but there is just absolutely no room for creativity it's just constant maths/physics formulas everywhere. The only thing that really allows you to be creative to a certain extent is CAD were you can have some freedom to kinda go crazy and make whatever you want. We rarely do any machining and stuff which I quite enjoyed when we did once in my first year :sad:

I think the advantage is that once you got that down and finish Uni, you are free to do a lot of stuff home projects which would require knowledge of the stuff you learnt at uni. You can also enjoy, actually you can't enjoy the respect that comes with being an engineer because people who fix boilers call themselves engineers lol. :colone:

Interesting to see how few feel the pay is fair compensation!

Original post by RiskVsReward

I am sort of young but could the devil called marget thatcher have been an influence in this?

Better off blaming the unions tbh. There was plenty of crap management, but the unions did seem to be determined to make British manufacturers uncompetitive.
Original post by CurlyBen

Better off blaming the unions tbh. There was plenty of crap management, but the unions did seem to be determined to make British manufacturers uncompetitive.

damn we are unlucky being born in a country that doesn't compare to juggernaut like America. Britain has become so irrelevant lol, guessing the only reason we were relevant wasn't because we were very nice anyway. ha
Reply 2446
I think the advantage is that once you got that down and finish Uni, you are free to do a lot of stuff home projects which would require knowledge of the stuff you learnt at uni. You can also enjoy, actually you can't enjoy the respect that comes with being an engineer because people who fix boilers call themselves engineers lol. :colone:

I don't even care about the respect any more if I'm honest. When I graduate I'm definitely going on a long ass vacation somewhere nice... the relaxation is needed and I would have more freedom to do other things that I can't do as much of now :biggrin:

If somebody asked me if I would go to university again to study engineering I would say no (but I'm not going to lie there have been some hilarious moments in my course that I won't forget lol). I have to say seeing your friends progress through the same journey is kinda motivating because it reminds you you're all in it together :smile:
Original post by a10
I don't even care about the respect any more if I'm honest. When I graduate I'm definitely going on a long ass vacation somewhere nice... the relaxation is needed and I would have more freedom to do other things that I can't do as much of now :biggrin:

If somebody asked me if I would go to university again to study engineering I would say no (but I'm not going to lie there have been some hilarious moments in my course that I won't forget lol). I have to say seeing your friends progress through the same journey is kinda motivating because it reminds you you're all in it together :smile:

Well pretty much everyone says that because it's boring. Medicine or Nursing or other vocational degrees are probably FAR more interesting, even history, languages and such probably are too. But I mean it's not like you have to be an engineer forever, you have loads of options finance, graduate courses like physics, medicine, chemistry, nursing anything, even the most competitive courses now aren't as hard because of how great your maths/physics and skills are due to the intensity of Engineering, you can move into so much things.

It's like A-levels, honestly subjects sucked but at least they allowed me to move on somewhere and at least you are seen as capable to get a job. Lol I know a guy who did ancient history and gues what? He was stuck on night shifts @ sainburys. Rather have a solid degree in something which becomes tiring and develop my abilities further than doing something fun that really won't help me get a good job. I mean maybe this is just due to my upbringing and the fact that we barely had too much to spend, been on holiday once, guess where? Pakistan. Was ****ter than England lol. More like the opposite of a holiday.

Hopefully you jobs are a lot better than your uni exp.

Hehe one of the reason I like Notts foundation course is because they have like only 24 spaces and you will probably build some strong bonds with most of the people on it!
(edited 8 years ago)
damn we are unlucky being born in a country that doesn't compare to juggernaut like America. Britain has become so irrelevant lol, guessing the only reason we were relevant wasn't because we were very nice anyway. ha

The grass is always greener. I've been living in the US for the last year and there's plenty of downsides to living/working out here.
The grass is always greener. I've been living in the US for the last year and there's plenty of downsides to living/working out here.

For sure. Honestly I am happy with anything over 25k, more than both my parents right and we have a somewhat big family. I'd just rather try get the best deal I can with the amount of resources I soon will be dedicating to this degree.

But I will probably be bound to the UK forever due to having T1 Diabetes, thankfully we got the NHS to cover us!
Reply 2450

Jobs are just as hard to get in engineering and you do not need a degree to be successful in general either.

I used to think getting jobs in engineering wouldn't be that hard to obtain since it's apparently "in demand" (I was wrong; the competition is quite fierce so be prepared my friend :smile: ).
Original post by a10
Jobs are just as hard to get in engineering and you do not need a degree to be successful either.

I used to think getting jobs in engineering wouldn't be that hard to obtain since it's apparently "in demand" (I was wrong; the competition is quite fierce so be prepared my friend :smile: ).

Haha dw man I am ready. I know for a fact that the UK has so pretty crappy industry and that pretty much means that any bite you can take is worth going for, that's why I am pretty keen on league tables, just that slight edge may give me what I need.

BTW have you heard from that interview?

I am also surprised by the lack of people on this thread lol, I guess i'll visit some of the other ones and see how they are getting on!

Well that's only the averages. Half are earning below that. I have definitely seen adverts for jobs where the salary offered was below what I would expect for for someone of the qualifications and experienced required.

But at the same time, the salary surveys I have seen repeatedly demonstrate that many engineers are remunerated quite nicely for the regions of the country they work in. Just not as much as in much of the developed European countries or the rest of the Anglosphere.

I feel the pay is just crap for how hard the content it is.

To be fair much of the content isn't as hard as in maths or physics degrees, yet engineering degrees generally offer some of the highest starting salaries.

And with much of the more difficult content taught during the degree, namely the more mathematically challenging stuff, you're very unlikely to actually use it on the job anyway.
Original post by Smack
Well that's only the averages. Half are earning below that. I have definitely seen adverts for jobs where the salary offered was below what I would expect for for someone of the qualifications and experienced required.

Not sure if we're referring to the same thing - I was talking about the quote "only 35 per cent feel thattheir earnings suitably reflect their workload". I certainly felt that was the case at my last job, but more than that I couldn't see any particularly clear routes to progress and change that situation. I guess I could probably have tried harder to resolve that but I was already considering a career change so I didn't pursue it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just learnt how much contractors earn today! Sometimes 1.5 times as much as someone on a standard work contract. ****ing ridiculous!
Original post by Like_A_G6
Just learnt how much contractors earn today! Sometimes 1.5 times as much as someone on a standard work contract. ****ing ridiculous!

In oil & gas some contractors, the more senior ones, were earning over £1,000 per day before rates were cut (some might still be earning that much, I don't know).

But then it's not all sunshine being a contractor. For example, no holiday or sick pay (if you're staff and wake up feeling like **** you may be better off taking the day off. This proposition becomes entirely different if a day off may cost you over £800). No pension or other benefits package either.

Then there's the career development. Contractors are brought in to perform a role and that's it. The company has no onus to offer training or development to ensure the contractor's knowledge and skills remain relevant to the company or allows them to transform into a new role.

Are there a lot of contractors in your industry? In oil & gas, before the downturn, they made up a huge proportion of the workforce.
Original post by Smack
In oil & gas some contractors, the more senior ones, were earning over £1,000 per day before rates were cut (some might still be earning that much, I don't know).

But then it's not all sunshine being a contractor. For example, no holiday or sick pay (if you're staff and wake up feeling like **** you may be better off taking the day off. This proposition becomes entirely different if a day off may cost you over £800). No pension or other benefits package either.

Then there's the career development. Contractors are brought in to perform a role and that's it. The company has no onus to offer training or development to ensure the contractor's knowledge and skills remain relevant to the company or allows them to transform into a new role.

Are there a lot of contractors in your industry? In oil & gas, before the downturn, they made up a huge proportion of the workforce.

Yep, they're everywhere. Probably half, if not more, than the engineering workforce. They grew so fast that they couldn't get permanent people for jobs and so resorted to throwing cash towards agencies and private contractors to fill positions. There are some that have been here now for 3+ years which is very lucrative for them. The company is starting to clamp down and cut costs, but only by limiting overtime, not reducing hourly pay.

It is a bummer to not get sick pay and the like, but they get to claim back a lot of their tax paid for commuting to work (no one lives or likes to live in Coventry so commutes can be tens of miles), lunches at work etc.
Reply 2457
Them feels when your group project actually goes well :colone: :lol:

On another note, I have to say Aerospace is so ****ing cool (in some ways it makes me regret not picking aerospace instead but at the same time it's a bit too niche so it's the best of both worlds with mechanical really haha)! Aerodynamics doe :love: :coma:
Original post by a10
Them feels when your group project actually goes well :colone: :lol:

On another note, I have to say Aerospace is so ****ing cool (in some ways it makes me regret not picking aerospace instead but at the same time it's a bit too niche so it's the best of both worlds with mechanical really haha)! Aerodynamics doe :love: :coma:

I hate you. I have a massive group essay due next Monday and my group hasn't even begun writing it, have only seen one of my group members 3 times all semester x.x I can't fail my degree over this!
Reply 2459
Original post by alexschmalex
I hate you. I have a massive group essay due next Monday and my group hasn't even begun writing it, have only seen one of my group members 3 times all semester x.x I can't fail my degree over this!

Hahahaha the struggles real. I'm lucky my team mates at least attend the majority of meetings when they are supposed to although I had to constantly chase them up to do their bits.

Some of my friends teams are so lazy they dont even have log books and the report is due shortly :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending