The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a10
brilliant! Thanks bro :biggrin:

One thing thats concerning me so far from what iv heard is the team projects do you get to choose who you want to work with? Because it wont be fair if you get grouped with **** people who don't do the work then you will fail because of that...

I don't mind working in teams i contribute and work hard on whatever i do but it would suck if you had to catch up other people's work.

It depends. Some projects are pretty small... Such as, making a poster or designing a bridge over the course of a week. For things like that, you pick your team (2-3 people typically), but it had to be people out of our tutor group as we we're all timetabled together.

For things like the RC car, it's a tutor group project (~12 people, but I think two of them have left already. I have never seen them). It can be a pain as some people just don't show up to meets and don't do any work. The resolution is simple: They won't get any marks. We just do the work by ourselves and there are enough of us that we can do it without the others showing up. They're not having our marks either... We'll just say they didn't help, and thus, they have no reason to be rewarded!

If it's obvious that people weren't helping, you can just mention it and the assessor will probably mark the individual people (rather than the team as a whole) and you might get the benefit of the doubt for it.

It hasn't been an issue though. We get on fine. Some people don't turn up, but that's not my problem.
Reply 21
Original post by SillyEddy
It depends. Some projects are pretty small... Such as, making a poster or designing a bridge over the course of a week. For things like that, you pick your team (2-3 people typically), but it had to be people out of our tutor group as we we're all timetabled together.

For things like the RC car, it's a tutor group project (~12 people, but I think two of them have left already. I have never seen them). It can be a pain as some people just don't show up to meets and don't do any work. The resolution is simple: They won't get any marks. We just do the work by ourselves and there are enough of us that we can do it without the others showing up. They're not having our marks either... We'll just say they didn't help, and thus, they have no reason to be rewarded!

If it's obvious that people weren't helping, you can just mention it and the assessor will probably mark the individual people (rather than the team as a whole) and you might get the benefit of the doubt for it.

It hasn't been an issue though. We get on fine. Some people don't turn up, but that's not my problem.

ahhhh yeahh i see what your saying :smile: thanks
Reply 22
Original post by Smack
I don't really have anything specific to add that SillyEddy hasn't. If anyone does have any specific questions then let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Warning, though: I don't know anything about A-levels though as I'm Scottish, nor do I know many specifics about engineering departments at English or Welsh universities, except what I've picked up on TSR.

How is the 4th year in comparison to the other years and what were your project experiences?
Original post by a10
How is the 4th year in comparison to the other years and what were your project experiences?

4th year was by far the hardest year.

Could you be a bit more specific regarding project experiences? There's a lot I could say but don't have the time to say it.
Reply 24
Original post by Smack
4th year was by far the hardest year.

Could you be a bit more specific regarding project experiences? There's a lot I could say but don't have the time to say it.

what changes did your make to your work ethics once you started 4th year. Also correct me on this but for the projects in years 3 and 4 you work in a team with "other" engineering student from other disciplines right?
I didn't change anything, except that I had to work harder.

Whether it's group or not depends entirely on the university. I'm sure that an individual project is part of the requirements for accreditation by the IMechE, though.
Hi I'm a international student and I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering too, I noticed that not many people applied for mechanical engineering in TSR, is mechanical engineering considered a "cold" course in the UK?
Reply 27
Subbed.
Reply 28
Original post by Pinkhead
Subbed.

Welcome :hat2:

Where did you apply? xD
Reply 29
Original post by benjaminkhoo
Hi I'm a international student and I'm applying for Mechanical Engineering too, I noticed that not many people applied for mechanical engineering in TSR, is mechanical engineering considered a "cold" course in the UK?

Not true.

At my university they group mechanical, automotive, aerospace and motorsport students together for the main lectures and skills classes - There had to be 3 groups made for the mechanical engineers (compared to one group for the other disciplines).

There are a LOT of mechanical engineers at my university!
I don't know much about engineering but I can say that in my jobseekers group sessions, there is one lad who is a qualified mechanical engineer but he hasn't been able to find any work. That might just be because there are no jobs in our town for him :tongue:
Ignore this if I just spouted rubbish!!
Reply 32
Original post by a10
Welcome :hat2:

Where did you apply? xD

Hello to you too. :hat2:

I've applied to Bath, Southampton, Sheffield, Bristol and Imperial and received offers from the first 3.
Still waiting for Bristol and Imperial to reply :frown:.

You?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Coffeegirl
I don't know much about engineering but I can say that in my jobseekers group sessions, there is one lad who is a qualified mechanical engineer but he hasn't been able to find any work. That might just be because there are no jobs in our town for him :tongue:
Ignore this if I just spouted rubbish!!

haha yeah the worlds tough it depends what grade he got and also what experience he has! (as well as location which you have mentioned xD) :wink:
Reply 34

I've applied to Bath, Southampton, Sheffield, Bristol and Imperial and received offers from the first 3.

You?

Sussex,Swansea,Manchester,Brighton n UWE Bristol.

Offers from all except Manchester where it was rejection lol didn't want to go there anyway :biggrin:
Reply 35

You?

I've applied to the exact same universities as you, except for Imperial. I have Surrey instead. And the waiting is horrible, but it won't be for much longer!

Which is your first choice?

I'm torn between Bath and Bristol at the moment. But I also have a soft spot for Southampton :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
At my university they group mechanical, automotive, aerospace and motorsport students together for the main lectures and skills classes - There had to be 3 groups made for the mechanical engineers (compared to one group for the other disciplines).

There are a LOT of mechanical engineers at my university!

Ouch, then I gonna have a tough time getting into the university i want
Ouch, then I gonna have a tough time getting into the university i want

Not necessarily, they'll try to accommodate everyone where possible. Because engineers are typically grouped as part of a larger forum (with other similar disciplines) there could be more spaces for mechanical because fewer people are doing the other courses.

Which university were you thinking of?
Not necessarily, they'll try to accommodate everyone where possible. Because engineers are typically grouped as part of a larger forum (with other similar disciplines) there could be more spaces for mechanical because fewer people are doing the other courses.

Which university were you thinking of?

I applied for Imperial, Southampton, Leeds, UCL, and Queen's Mary, with Imperial being my first choice.

Do international students who don't get a chance for an interview are in a disadvantage?

By the way, my A-level results are A*A*AA for Maths, physics, Chemistry and Further Maths.
first year was pretty easy

most important thing in first year is to attend

and just spend like 5-10 hours a week on a sunday going over the stuff and youll be dandy, and just skim on the bus on your way to uni

Attendance is has strong correlation with pass and even grades, and its much easier when your lecturer gets blackboard shy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending