The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

It might be a good idea to have a more general FAQ in the stickies too, as it'll be more visible.
any tips on how to pass a numerical reasoning test
Original post by sucess
any tips on how to pass a numerical reasoning test

Practice, practice, and practice. Each one seems to have a different format, and I've found if you get used to the format, you'll breeze through the test. The greatest challenge in most of them is the time pressure you face. The questions should be problem solving questions that don't assess your technical knowledge so there's not much 'revision' you can do for them. If you familiarise yourself with the format and question style, you'll spend less time trying to get used to the format and reading questions meaning you'll put yourself under less time pressure.
Original post by Like_A_G6
Practice, practice, and practice. Each one seems to have a different format, and I've found if you get used to the format, you'll breeze through the test. The greatest challenge in most of them is the time pressure you face. The questions should be problem solving questions that don't assess your technical knowledge so there's not much 'revision' you can do for them. If you familiarise yourself with the format and question style, you'll spend less time trying to get used to the format and reading questions meaning you'll put yourself under less time pressure.

Would you recommend using different sites to practice, right now l'm using shl I'm used to their format i average 75% in their tests.

And thank you
Original post by sucess
Would you recommend using different sites to practice, right now l'm using shl I'm used to their format i average 75% in their tests.

And thank you

It really depends on what the company use. Many people practice on SHL. Whilst they are good, there's no guarantee the company you're applying for will use them. If the company has said they use them, then it's the best one to practice with. If they haven't, SHL is a good starting point. Kenexa is also one a lot of companies use, so maybe practice with that as well.

75% is a good score. A lot of companies have 60-65% as their cut-off (equivalent to a 2:1). I know IBM have there's at 78% for technical consulting as it's really competitive, but 75% should allow you to pass with 99% of companies.
I was thinking that in here we're somewhat bereft of discussion outside of A levels and which university to choose. This is perhaps expected given that most people here

Does anyone think it'd be helpful to have some more info on TSR regarding actual engineering? Just thinking of what info might be useful... quick sector guides, for instance?
Reply 1866
Original post by Smack

Does anyone think it'd be helpful to have some more info on TSR regarding actual engineering? Just thinking of what info might be useful... quick sector guides, for instance?

I agree!

Maybe if people could write like a quick overview of how their sectors are actually like that would be good...only problem with this though is i don't think a lot of people will be bothered to enter the info lol
Original post by a10
I agree!

Maybe if people could write like a quick overview of how their sectors are actually like that would be good...only problem with this though is i don't think a lot of people will be bothered to enter the info lol

I had started typing up a quick sector guide for upstream O&G. What do you think I should include?

Hopefully we can get other people to contribute some info about their sectors too. I'm sure we must have people who have some experience and can contribute something.
Reply 1868
Original post by Smack
I had started typing up a quick sector guide for upstream O&G. What do you think I should include?

Hopefully we can get other people to contribute some info about their sectors too. I'm sure we must have people who have some experience and can contribute something.

Erm I think it would be good to include like the general view of your work atmosphere, what you do on a daily basis, what you like and dislike and finally any tips for people who want to get into that sector.

I reckon people who also have summer internships could also type some quick sector guides!
Hi guys,

Mech Eng student here on a placement currently, having completed two years of my BEng course.

At the moment, I'm not looking to do a MEng, but more and more people are telling me otherwise.

So question is, would you recommend a MEng in today's engineering world?
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi guys,

Mech Eng student here on a placement currently, having completed two years of my BEng course.

At the moment, I'm not looking to do a MEng, but more and more people are telling me otherwise.

So question is, would you recommend a MEng in today's engineering world?

Yes.
Original post by Smack

What me and a lot of my friends are concerned about is whether you use what you've learnt at University for your job, and what the future is like for specific industries. I know a few people who are interested in the future of sustainable energy and where it falls in the spectrum or radar of operations of O&G companies, as there doesn't seem to be much about it on the internet.

I'd be happy to talk nd type up a few bits about the Aerospace sector. Despite it seeming like something for Aerospace engineers, a lot of Mechanical Engineers are recruited by the obvious aerospace firms such as RR and Airbus.
Original post by Like_A_G6
What me and a lot of my friends are concerned about is whether you use what you've learnt at University for your job, and what the future is like for specific industries. I know a few people who are interested in the future of sustainable energy and where it falls in the spectrum or radar of operations of O&G companies, as there doesn't seem to be much about it on the internet.

I'd be happy to talk nd type up a few bits about the Aerospace sector. Despite it seeming like something for Aerospace engineers, a lot of Mechanical Engineers are recruited by the obvious aerospace firms such as RR and Airbus.

Many an engineering student ponders whether what they're currently being taught at university will be used in their working lives - especially around exam time!

Ultimately it depends on what type of job you go into, but that's a bit of a cop-out so I'll elaborate a bit.

Some people are going to get jobs as project engineers. They're not really going to be using much of what they learnt at university, as their jobs won't revolve around designing things, performing the calculations or analysis, etc.

If you go into design then I'd say you're quite likely to use a fair bit of what you learnt at university. I'm in design at the moment and I would say I use quite a bit of the material I covered during university - especially the earlier material. I do also use a fair bit of what I covered during the later years too, but I'd imagine that'd be primarily because my course was designed to be relevant to my job.

I wouldn't say real world engineering is as mathematically complicated as university, though. I don't use calculus, for example. Although it definitely is handy to know.

Looking back, I would say that a problem with university degrees isn't that they are too theoretical, but rather they're lacking in context. You'll certainly cover a lot of material during your degree, but it's mainly taught in the context of passing exams. Ultimately, it's very difficult to examine proper engineering within the confines of a closed book exam.

Sustainable energy is largely tied to the price of oil, I'm afraid, and with the current low price of oil, it's not as hot as many people thought it would be, or would like it to be, unfortunately. A wave energy firm recently went into administration, and another one slashed its staffing levels, for example.
I can't get my head around Linear algebra, could anyone suggest a book, video, pdf or anything that might be helpful.
Original post by sucess
I can't get my head around Linear algebra, could anyone suggest a book, video, pdf or anything that might be helpful.

Hello. How's 2nd year treating you? It's been a while...
Try Engineering Mathematics or Higher Engineering Mathematics by John Bird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannyAbba
Hello. How's 2nd year treating you? It's been a while...
Try Engineering Mathematics or Higher Engineering Mathematics by John Bird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its been okay, I expected it to be difficult, but the jump of first year maths to second year took me by surprise

Thank you for the recommendations.
Original post by Smack
Many an engineering student ponders whether what they're currently being taught at university will be used in their working lives - especially around exam time!

Ultimately it depends on what type of job you go into, but that's a bit of a cop-out so I'll elaborate a bit.

Some people are going to get jobs as project engineers. They're not really going to be using much of what they learnt at university, as their jobs won't revolve around designing things, performing the calculations or analysis, etc.

If you go into design then I'd say you're quite likely to use a fair bit of what you learnt at university. I'm in design at the moment and I would say I use quite a bit of the material I covered during university - especially the earlier material. I do also use a fair bit of what I covered during the later years too, but I'd imagine that'd be primarily because my course was designed to be relevant to my job.

I wouldn't say real world engineering is as mathematically complicated as university, though. I don't use calculus, for example. Although it definitely is handy to know.

Looking back, I would say that a problem with university degrees isn't that they are too theoretical, but rather they're lacking in context. You'll certainly cover a lot of material during your degree, but it's mainly taught in the context of passing exams. Ultimately, it's very difficult to examine proper engineering within the confines of a closed book exam.

Sustainable energy is largely tied to the price of oil, I'm afraid, and with the current low price of oil, it's not as hot as many people thought it would be, or would like it to be, unfortunately. A wave energy firm recently went into administration, and another one slashed its staffing levels, for example.

Hey, I was wondering if you could give me some advice to pass onto a mate who is doing integrated electrical and mechanical. He's decided he hates maths and is thinking of leaving and doing something else. Do you have any idea how he could get to like maths (as he is good at it) so that he could be encouraged to keep going or, is there another degree you can think of which he could transfer to along the same lines as engineering (which would still be a worthwhile degree just less maths). Cheers!!!!
Original post by Racoon
Hey, I was wondering if you could give me some advice to pass onto a mate who is doing integrated electrical and mechanical. He's decided he hates maths and is thinking of leaving and doing something else. Do you have any idea how he could get to like maths (as he is good at it) so that he could be encouraged to keep going or, is there another degree you can think of which he could transfer to along the same lines as engineering (which would still be a worthwhile degree just less maths). Cheers!!!!

You can't make someone like something, I'm afraid, and if he wants to leave, he'll leave. If he's not liking it then he's perhaps better off leaving anyway.
Original post by Smack
You can't make someone like something, I'm afraid, and if he wants to leave, he'll leave. If he's not liking it then he's perhaps better off leaving anyway.

Ok thanks.:redface:
Hello. I want to ask a somewhat naïve question, but please air your views:

Is it advisable (and/or necessary) to get a PhD if I have no interest in or intention of following an academic career line at all?
Also, which is more preferable: getting a PhD straight after Bachelor's and Master's, or getting it after a few years' work experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest