The Student Room Group

Uni is going downhill, what should I do?

So I'm in my third year of uni. It was fine in the first year, i got really good grades but then through the second year my grades started dropping and they're getting even worse this year. Everyone around me is getting higher averages as they move through and seems really happy, but i'm just going in complete reverse, I'm worried that it's all going to be for nothing if i get a bad degree, since this year counts for the most.

Around the end of the second year I've slowly just begun to lose enthusiasm for anything. I'm struggling to keep on top of the workload i'm getting and fed up of having to work around unhelpful staff and people... I feel no sense of urgency to get my work done anymore, I just end up falling asleep most of the day, and I struggle finding stuff I enjoy and getting involved. I've tried joining societies and stuff to try and feel more involved but normally just get left out or don't have the time. I don't feel like my degree is actually going to be useful for anything afterwards either, I've just lost all enthusiasm for my subject. I've tried all of the revision and motivation techniques etc but they just don't seem to work for me.

I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a hole at uni which I can't get out of. I'm halfway through third year and as much as I just want to go home it seems stupid to just leave now I'm so far through, but I always feel unhappy nowadays, there's just way too much to do.

I've thought of maybe seeing if they'll let me defer a year or something but fear it may be too late, are there any other options? I feel like just trying to get through it might be too much. I was so panicked after an exam last semester that I couldn't stop shaking for an hour afterwards and then my chest wouldn't stop aching all day, I think it may actually be starting to kill me but don't just want to give up...
Hi, I feel I can relate to this. I'm in my second year but I'm having the same problem. My grades were really good last year, and even though I'm still working hard my results from first semester have dropped, some by just a bit, but in the largest module quite significantly. I found my results out at the beginning of this week and I can feel myself getting even more stressed about it, which is making me feel overly tense and achy. I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself when things don't seem to be going well... when theres so much work to do and you're not quite sure if you're going about things the right way.

I'm sorry to hear you're so unhappy. I know things can be a struggle, though it does seem a shame with only one semester left for you to give up. Try setting yourself weekly or daily goals. Thats what I'm doing at the moment, every evening before I go to bed I look at my lectures and then think what I can fill my free time with so that I can try and force myself to do something productive... as opposed to doing nothing and feeling worse.

Talking to your personal tutor might be helpful if you think things really aren't getting better? or perhaps you can get some support from the university's counselling service?

We can also talk more if you would like too,
xx

Quick Reply

Latest