The Student Room Group

Biology AS edxcell SNAB issue report Help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, I'm doing malaria but my teacher says I've just done it on the topic and not an actual issue can someone help me out as to what specific issue I can do and what solutions? Really need to get the high grades so if someone knows where some exemplars are or are willing to send me theirs just so I can a figure out how the structure and layout would be much appreciated :colondollar:
Original post by sali3
Hi, I'm doing malaria but my teacher says I've just done it on the topic and not an actual issue can someone help me out as to what specific issue I can do and what solutions? Really need to get the high grades so if someone knows where some exemplars are or are willing to send me theirs just so I can a figure out how the structure and layout would be much appreciated :colondollar:

Malarial drug resistance is a massive issue. The endemic nature of the disease in developing countries and the need for a vaccine is another.
Reply 22
hi
is it possible to change the title, after handing it in for a draft, from Is fructose the real cause of obesity? to Should the government introduce a sugar tax? This is a solution to obesity but not sure if it will get many marks and the objection to the solution is mainly ethical. if this isnt a good title is it still possible to change?
Reply 23
Original post by leaky
hi
is it possible to change the title, after handing it in for a draft, from Is fructose the real cause of obesity? to Should the government introduce a sugar tax? This is a solution to obesity but not sure if it will get many marks and the objection to the solution is mainly ethical. if this isnt a good title is it still possible to change?

That should be ok because you'll just be able to adapt what you've already written, it may depend on the school though, mine have let people change if it means their report works better. As long as the solution is biological I don't think it matters if the implications are more ethical :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Revd. Mike
Malarial drug resistance is a massive issue. The endemic nature of the disease in developing countries and the need for a vaccine is another.

Thank you, I've decided to do Malarial drug Resistance and have put ACTs (combined therapies) as the solution but do you think saying developing a vaccine would be a better one?
Original post by sali3
Thank you, I've decided to do Malarial drug Resistance and have put ACTs (combined therapies) as the solution but do you think saying developing a vaccine would be a better one?

Well developing a vaccine would kind of be the ultimate solution (although consider the difficulties: cost, logistics, etc.), but drug therapies would still be necessary in the mean time.

Another good issue to write about is the use of biological control measures and genetic modification of the mosquito vector.
Reply 26
Hi
I've decided to redo my coursework because my teacher and I were kinda worried about the solution I gave and how it may not have been recent enough. I was just wondering, does the solution to the issue have to be one that is currently going through clinical trials, or can it have been recently made an official treatment? Thanks :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Bounce4
Hi
I've decided to redo my coursework because my teacher and I were kinda worried about the solution I gave and how it may not have been recent enough. I was just wondering, does the solution to the issue have to be one that is currently going through clinical trials, or can it have been recently made an official treatment? Thanks :smile:

think it just has to be relevant. tbh, think latter is best because you have proof and can back your argument.
now for my question..
what has to be done for the bibliography at the end? list the sources or evaluate how reliable they are?
Original post by leaky
think it just has to be relevant. tbh, think latter is best because you have proof and can back your argument.
now for my question..
what has to be done for the bibliography at the end? list the sources or evaluate how reliable they are?

You can list and evaluate. Put all the information that you can (internet/book, author, date accessed, title, etc) and then i think you need to evaluate a few. I evaluated all of mine for last years coursework (but various depth of evaluation - some were quite long and others were very short) and will also be doing it for A2 coursework!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I'm doing mine on the conservation of rhinos! Can someone help me with what "biological methods & processes are"? im really struggling with my coursework, if anyone can help i'd be soo grateful!!! xx
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
In the beginning, find a graph about the rise in HIV to explain how much of a problem it is. Explain the whole mechanism of HIV (it's in the A2 book so make sure you have included everything that's in it).

My solution was HAART. I know it's supposed to be a recent thing but I somehow got away with it. My alternative was some drug, and this really cool cat thing. Solving FIV here: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/09/glowing-kittens-fight-feline-aid.html

How much has your teacher helped? Make sure you're covering all the points.

Outlining the problem, solution, data, implications, alternative solutions. There was more I think, I can't remember it. Go through the mark scheme and see if you can identify it all.

Also, I evaluated all my sources (not just two), so you could do that

for HIV, i'm wanting to start my issue report on it but i'm struggling to find the actual science behind it to explain what happens to cells. Anyone have any recommendations to help me out? or just any useful sites on HIV? Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
I scored 58/60, quite surprisingly.

My teacher isn't very good with coursework. My coursework sort of ended up with loads of problems and I rushed to fix it in May, and he kept telling me I would get a U. I worked myself to the bone two weeks before my first exam. Sad times, they were. Most stressful ordeal I went through in AS. :colondollar: Meanwhile, my teacher told others that they would get As but they got Us. So it was a bit messed up overall. LOL.

Coursework is a nightmare. I would find a problem, and solution that has a study released with data you can understand, and then start planning. Don't start without planning and check it through with your teacher before you start writing otherwise you will end up in a position similar to me.

And teachers generally do say that diseases are the easiest. So cancer, HIV, etc. It has to be a specific cancer and disease though. Take a look on bbc news and medicalnewstoday. Good luck!

sorry i know this is a while back, but i need to hand my first plan of my issue report and i was thinking of doing HIV too, any inital tips? anything that worked well? recommended sites? THANK YOU!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending