The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How would we get rid of the monarchy in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FrancisSin
Without the monarchy = Less tourism = Less speculation from the outside world over Britain.

so what? why should the ethics and methods of running our state revolve around tourism? and who cares about less speculation? and for what reason? you think we'll be erased from the world stage just because we decided to become a republic? how would that affect international relations?
Reply 21
Original post by bssjonny
I like this video.

[video="youtube;bhyYgnhhKFw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw[/video]

debunked:
Reply 22
It won't happen. It's like trying to imagine communism working...you just can't.
Reply 23
Viva la revolution !!
Reply 24
The Royal Family don't do jack

they're such a waste of space and money. how anyone supports them is beyond me. get some self respect :smile:
I never understood why people got so upset about Cameron's attempts to reform the UK housing benefit system. I'm all for evicting people who expect the taxpayer to support them in homes that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.

Starting with the Queen.
Reply 26
Original post by Superunknown17
The royal family is largely ceremonial now and is nothing more than a tourist attraction nowadays which is a view some take when defending the monarchy.

The argument for why people want to get rid of them is because they believe a head of state who isn't elected but has their title inherited then this is undemocratic which is fair enough. People who want to get rid of the monarchy want a head of state elected by the people and bring in like with most modern democracies. They believe that the Monarchy gives unchecked power to the government (Royal Prerogative) which gives government the power to bypass some decisions without Parliament's permission which is inherently undemocratic.

I'm not entirely sure how we'd go about getting rid of the monarchy but I imagine if it got enough support it would go to a referendum as it is a constitutional issue.

It would only be undemocratic if the royal prerogative were ever actually used to force anything through.

You might be interested to know that constitutional monarchies make up seven out of the top ten countries on the 2010 Democracy Index, and four out of the top ten countries with the highest level of income equality. Monarchy clearly does no harm to democracy; in fact, it might be argued that the stability it offers actually provides a better environment in which democracy can thrive.
Wow. This place is just full of Republicans. Honestly, I prefer the stability of having a monarchy- an elected President is so much more corruptible, point in case Russia. How would you get rid of the Monarchy? I imagine a lot of forcible takeover of land and properties by the Government, and most other countries looking blankly surprised.
Because I want to live in a country that values hard work, not birthright. Just because the royals don't hold power doesn't mean that their existance isn't a celebration of the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ripper-Roo
The Royal Family don't do jack

they're such a waste of space and money. how anyone supports them is beyond me. get some self respect :smile:

The expenditures of the crown amount to less than 60 pence of UK taxpayer's money per capita per annum. Does that really concern you that much? The Queen also pays income tax, did you know that?

The political benefits of the monarchy are also quite substantial - the crown maintains close relations with numerous government across the world.

Do away with the Queen and the UK will become another boring, run-of-the-mill republic. The monarchy is an important part of national identity, and not just for the UK, but for the rest of the commonwealth (Canada, Australia, etc..).

Bitter dissenters such as yourself should try and take more pride in your country and your monarch.

I'm not entirely sure how we'd go about getting rid of the monarchy but I imagine if it got enough support it would go to a referendum as it is a constitutional issue.

We only have referendums when the government think it will get the answer it wants.
Reply 31
I for one will not be taking pride in any monarch. They are not even british to begin with and are basically just racist nazi scum! That family are evil look at the way they dealt with Diana.

I urge everyone to see Unlawful Killing by Keith Allen (thats if the documentary hasnt beeb banned)
Reply 32
As a previous poster mentioned, its nice to have an impartial person in politics that keeps everything in order - preventing our political system running amok.

With regards to the waste of money thing, the Queen and her family a) pay tax and b) bring in huge amounts of tourism and interest in the UK. While I suppose she could be seen as diverting interest from the North, I don't see any problem with her.
Reply 33
What makes you think they're impartial?

They are just people, albeit inbred over countless generations, they are no more royal than anyone else.

You will find the pretend queen's name is Elizabeth saux coburg gothicka, a german name that was changed to not raise alarm to any natives.

If people are coming to the uk purely to admire some inbreds, I would prefer them not being here.

Royally funded birth control for inferior common people started in 1912.

They are fairly ugly and hurt my eyes to look at, mainly because of their clearly inbred teeth and overall horse like appearance.

Why is old phil spending millions to secretly hunt endangered species and then doing the occasional wwf add to make it seem okay? Liars should not be worshipped.

Diana was not special, she was a cheat and bad things happened to her.

The uk and rus royals are cousins, further reducing their assumed impartiality.

Slaves are currently employed to wipe all of their asses after every toilet visit. Anyone who would choose to make that happen has no right to exist on the same planet as other humans, this is cruel and unusual punishment.

More than a few "royals" have gone mad from syphilis and other STD's, attributed to inter breeding.

The year is 2014, Kings and Queens served their purpose centuries ago leading a battle charge and having courage. Paying someone to wipe your ass as you spend your life looking down on everyone from the back of the battle deserves extradition.

The tourist revenue, the tourist revenue. Maybe take a look at their public expendatures and tell me what the uk can't live without is a pittance in tourist money.

Whether for or against, no one lives forever and time will forget them just like everyone else. Have fun waiting for them to die.
Reply 34
Power is ours, not theirs, and they know it. It is ono a matter of time.....
The royal family is largely ceremonial now and is nothing more than a tourist attraction nowadays which is a view some take when defending the monarchy.

Such sickening lies. It is my duty to inform you.

Let me tell you once and for all that the monarchy does indeed retain a significant amount of residual power, power which it can exercise when its private interests are affected. Prince Charles has seen 12 separate pieces of government legislation and vetoed some of them, refusing his Royal Consent to the adoption of the legislation.

Furthermore, they are not a tourist attraction - people come here to see the impressive state buildings, not the scroungers in the palace.
I think getting rid of islam should be a priority !!
Kill the Queen!

Spoiler

We rid them in two main ways:

1. Get support from the military and launch a coup.

Or 2. Inform the people (whom, being people, will obviously be so susceptible to reason and logic), and get them to approve a referendum abolishing the monarchy,

Latest

Trending

Trending