The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How would we get rid of the monarchy in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Because yours is axiomatically ****.

nah not really - from all I've read and heard it's quite good actually.
let me guess: you also think history, PPE, IR etc are also ****? it's just law which is protected from being ****, huh, because it's *your* course?
+you never give me any proof that it's bad though, which is such a shame
Original post by sleepysnooze
nah not really - from all I've read and heard it's quite good actually.
let me guess: you also think history, PPE, IR etc are also ****? it's just law which is protected from being ****, huh, because it's *your* course?
+you never give me any proof that it's bad though, which is such a shame

The thing hidden behind the asterisks was not "bad". It began with sh- and rhymes with pit.

History and PPE from good unis is quite admirable. IR is a joke at all. Law is so good because everyone knows it's good; it's respected by all men and even God. The recruiter for Primark won't even be impressed by your politics degree.
The thing hidden behind the asterisks was not "bad". It began with sh- and rhymes with pit.

History and PPE from good unis is quite admirable. IR is a joke at all. Law is so good because everyone knows it's good; it's respected by all men and even God. The recruiter for Primark won't even be impressed by your politics degree.

how are PPE and history quite admirable when politics isn't then. explain this comprehensively because that's a ****ing ridiculous asinine claim.
did you just say "and even god"? :lol: no wonder I can't take you seriously

give me some evidence that people who get 2:1/1 (obviously) politics degrees from russell group unis can't work at primark then. again, that's a horrendously burdensome claim on your part - meet your burden, bigot
how are PPE and history quite admirable when politics isn't then. explain this comprehensively because that's a ****ing ridiculous asinine claim.
did you just say "and even god"? :lol: no wonder I can't take you seriously

give me some evidence that people who get 2:1/1 (obviously) politics degrees from russell group unis can't work at primark then. again, that's a horrendously burdensome claim on your part - meet your burden, bigot

Politics is easier than PPE and history. Hence, people respect PPE and history more than they do politics. Politics is taken by the likes of Will Young and PPE is taken by Ministers of the Crown. IR is taken by call phone centre operators and history is taken by Lord Sumptions of this world. It's a subtle difference between the two categories, but when you know what you're looking for it's quite easy to spot them.

Sorry, I did not say pol grads can't work at Primark. I said the recruiters are not impressed by the degree. You need to read more carefully if you want that first.
Politics is easier than PPE and history. Hence, people respect PPE and history more than they do politics. Politics is taken by the likes of Will Young and PPE is taken by Ministers of the Crown. IR is taken by call phone centre operators and history is taken by Lord Sumptions of this world. It's a subtle difference between the two categories, but when you know what you're looking for it's quite easy to spot them.

how are they more difficult? PPE is like half of my course in terms of the modules. people who do history also take a few of my modules. where is the justification for it being more "difficult"? where are the facts? I don't care about your anedcotes either. I want some actual facts here.

Sorry, I did not say pol grads can't work at Primark. I said the recruiters are not impressed by the degree. You need to read more carefully if you want that first.

...why politics, then? why would they be interested in any of these degrees? :|
how are they more difficult? PPE is like half of my course in terms of the modules. people who do history also take a few of my modules. where is the justification for it being more "difficult"? where are the facts? I don't care about your anedcotes either. I want some actual facts here.

...why politics, then? why would they be interested in any of these degrees? :|

So I was in a town centre listening to a busker one time. The beautiful notes emanating from him were so finely crafted, so wrought in passion, one could not help but shed a tear. I looked his way and he looked at me, piercing my soul with his fiery gaze, and I felt breathless. Completely breathless. It was almost as if he took my voice and used it for his own end, forced it through his brass instrument. I felt a connection like I've never felt, both to him personally and to the art he was creating for me with me. Time stood still but for a long time I stood there, apathetic about the world and its wares; I cared only about one thing. Finely, I managed to regain myself and leave this man's orbit, but you know what I left feeling? There is no man this man, with the power he possesses, studied politics at uni.
So I was in a town centre listening to a busker one time. The beautiful notes emanating from him were so finely crafted, so wrought in passion, one could not help but shed a tear. I looked his way and he looked at me, piercing my soul with his fiery gaze, and I felt breathless. Completely breathless. It was almost as if he took my voice and used it for his own end, forced it through his brass instrument. I felt a connection like I've never felt, both to him personally and to the art he was creating for me with me. Time stood still but for a long time I stood there, apathetic about the world and its wares; I cared only about one thing. Finely, I managed to regain myself and leave this man's orbit, but you know what I left feeling? There is no man this man, with the power he possesses, studied politics at uni.

I don't care about your anedcotes either. I want some actual facts here.

also that's hilarious just in it's own right by the way - not like I couldn't make up something equally as stupid and turn it around and say that it was a law student
also that's hilarious just in it's own right by the way - not like I couldn't make up something equally as stupid and turn it around and say that it was a law student

There is no way you could create something like that at the drop of the hat. This is what marks out the law student. We can do everything, baby.

Also that should be "its own right". You don't use apostrophes do mark the possessive with possessive pronouns.
There is no way you could create something like that at the drop of the hat. This is what marks out the law student. We can do everything, baby.

using cookie cutter anecdotes, you mean? :| I thought lawyers had to try a bit harder than that if they wanted to be taken seriously

Also that should be "its own right". You don't use apostrophes do mark the possessive with possessive pronouns.

you're right - I didn't even notice I made that error. I was typing without enough care. but whatever.
using cookie cutter anecdotes, you mean? :| I thought lawyers had to try a bit harder than that if they wanted to be taken seriously

you're right - I didn't even notice I made that error. I was typing without enough care. but whatever.

Lawyers don't have to try. That's the thing. We're taken seriously, even when we tell sarcastic stories.
Lawyers don't have to try. That's the thing. We're taken seriously, even when we tell sarcastic stories.

the fact that you didn't try is obvious
the fact that you didn't try is obvious

I have no idea what you mean. That anecdote was better than anything you've ever written in your life and I did it in about a minute. That's some legitimate skill.
I have no idea what you mean. That anecdote was better than anything you've ever written in your life and I did it in about a minute. That's some legitimate skill.

so you admit that it was an anecdote and not a true story.
+you took a minute? you didn't just type it out? ...oh.
so you admit that it was an anecdote and not a true story.
+you took a minute? you didn't just type it out? ...oh.

Are you really asking me if that was a true story?
Are you really asking me if that was a true story?

:lol: and now you're admitting it was an *unconvincing* anecdote.
:lol: and now you're admitting it was an *unconvincing* anecdote.

I don't even know what to say to you, bud.
bY MuRdering ThEm oF coUrse Uhahuahhahahehehehehe :fuhrer:
Well the first step would be to convince some of the overwhelming majority of the public that have a favourable view of the monarchy that we'd have any reason to do so. You might find this difficult given that there is no particularly good reason.
Original post by chapmouse
So i'm all for the royal family here in the UK. They're great.

Royals make up such a huge part of History taught in schools, because they're just so cool. Royal families are a really great discussion point, and they bring in such a huge amount of interest from other countries all over the world.

So why would people want to get rid of them? I'd love to hear people's arguments for and against the royal family.
And if you DO want to get rid of the royal family, how would it happen?
I'm not the biggest history geek, so I'm not really sure how royal families in the past have dissolved (I imagine largely through war) but I don't see how you can just tell a whole bloodline "Hey, enough is enough."

So yeah,
discuss!

the reason for getting rid of the monarchy is because to have one is undemocratic. The UK constantly brag about our democratic society and yet we have a monarchy with whom we run potential laws through.

Also every year every person in the UK has to pay around 60p a year which is used to aid the queens luxurious life style. we could use that money to help towards the UK's economic issues.

thirdly we have reached a period of time in the UK where we do not need one as we have the PM to solve our democratic issues. A PM who the majority of the country voted for. Countries such as India are also rich in terms of thier history for kings and Queens and they have even managed to walk away from traditional values. and the result of this is that their economy is rising so if they understand this why dont we?

how we would get rid of the queen is something i dont know so yh
Tourism in England would fade, but they want that..I can't see it effecting Scotland, Ireland and Wales.The royals mean nothing, want rid of them?Stop acknowledging their sovereignty.