The Student Room Group

Nervous about moving away

Hi all, thread title says it all, quite nervous about moving to uni!

Essentially I'm the first of my family to properly move away for uni. My older sister went to university but she was half an hour down the motorway; she could drive and so she could pop back on evenings and weekends if she felt like it. My parents were constantly reminding me when I was applying that if I go very far I won't be able to do this... but as I always replied, I don't want to choose a uni based on convenience, I want the best education I can get for a great future. I can't drive and I'll be moving 4-5 hours away by car, and it'll be too expensive to catch a train back every weekend or whatever. I've always enjoyed my own company, but if some sort of family emergency happened or I got homesickness really badly, I'd be a bit stuck.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips about what I could do to immerse myself when it's time to move! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I haven't gone yet - going in September too - but I'd suggest taking loads of stuff from your room (well not loads, but enough to make you feel at home). I'd also suggest maybe setting up skype dates etc so you still see them in some form.

As for family emergencies, or just wanting to visit home again in general, I'd keep some money aside. Maybe start putting some away now. For example I've got a bank account where I don't spend any of the money I put in unless there's an emergency.
Family emergencies don't normally happen that often, so as a previous poster said you can always keep an emergency fund (which is good practice in life generally, truth be told).

As for homesickness - it goes eventually, even for people who have it really bad when they first move away. Keep busy. Find stuff to do. Join a society - and actually go to it. Start volunteering. Go on nights out. Never pass up a social invitation, especially in the first term. Talk to others about it - apparently a third of people feel homesick when they move away to uni, so chances are they're going through it (or at least can sympathise!). Talk to Nightline, if you wish. Just don't sit in your room feeling sorry for yourself and moping!
Reply 3
The best thing you can do is get yourself into things and keep busy when you get there.

Quick Reply

Latest