The Student Room Group

Stockholm School of Economics MSc applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I applied for CF&IM program but haven't received any feedback. My status in University Admissions web page is still In progress. I guess my chances of getting accepted are getting pretty slim since so many people already have an offer...
Reply 61
Original post by klmike
I applied for CF&IM program but haven't received any feedback. My status in University Admissions web page is still In progress. I guess my chances of getting accepted are getting pretty slim since so many people already have an offer...

Same here...:s-smilie: It's about 5-6 people already just in this thread having an offer and I would say that at least the tenfold amount of people should have gotten an offer (considering this thread was not that easy to find. besides that a lot of people might not post their admission result in a forum) which gives my very wild speculation (I know... :smile: ) a number of at least 50-60 offers - possibly much more - and last year there were only 110 places. Of course not every offer fills a place but still.... I'm pretty nervous

I think I/we might either have been rejected (and will get the notification about it within the next few days) or are on some kind of "undisclosed" wait list and get an offer if some other people reject theirs... Anyways, I just want to know the result. This waiting makes me crazy!
Reply 62
Hei,
I would not say that your chances are getting slim. So far no more 10-15 people received an early admission. In any case most people will receive offers in late march , so 70-80 places are still available for Msc CF&IM. What is your profile?
Reply 63
Original post by pretorian
Hei,
I would not say that your chances are getting slim. So far no more 10-15 people received an early admission. In any case most people will receive offers in late march , so 70-80 places are still available for Msc CF&IM. What is your profile?

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" :smile: GMAT 680, TOEFL 109, GPA 7/10 1y work experience, not finance related though. It would be interesting to know what are the back up options for people. I have thought about Tilburg Msc Finance.
Reply 64
You have competitive profile, and your gmat is within the average for CF&IM. I wanted to apply also to Bocconi but decided to forget about this option. So sse is my only choice. I know that Tilburg has good research master programs, which prepares for top phd programs.
Original post by pretorian
Hei,

Are you sure about these numbers? I hope I am wrong, but I spoke to a lady at the admissions office in mid-february and she said that the offers would come in mid-march and those who didn't get an offer would hear from then on the 26th, the date that all other universities in Sweden send out their admission info.

So I am not sure that we have seen any early admissions actually.

However, I find it hard to see that anyone would be rejected with 680 on gmat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by CountInFives
Are you sure about these numbers? I hope I am wrong, but I spoke to a lady at the admissions office in mid-february and she said that the offers would come in mid-march and those who didn't get an offer would hear from then on the 26th, the date that all other universities in Sweden send out their admission info.

I think they have sent out all offers for the "first round". The ones who got offers have to respond before March 19. If more people than expected decline more offers will be given out on the 26th. So don't give up hope before that:smile:
Reply 67
Original post by theblue
haha, sorry for my wrong guess, Zweistein just sounded quite German to me :wink: Do you know anything about how many people in the Econ Master's come from where? Is there a fixed amount of places reserved for Swedish nationals, for example?

I also applied for the Econ MPhil in Oxford, but I haven't gotten any reply yet. No idea if they'd take me as well.... And even if, I wouldn't really know what to choose...

Do you guys know if it's possible to accept the offer at SSE now and still being able to possibly cancel afterwards?

Oh, Oxford has a really nice program as well. I was thinking about applying there, but the tuition seemed a bit high for me and the chances of funding seemed slim.

There is a fixed amount of places for SSE students and I guess most of them are Swedes, but not for other Swedes. Usually I think a little bit more than half of the students are internationals and there a quite a lot of germans.. So I don't think that you have to worry about finding other german speakers:wink:

I don't think it would be a problem to accept the offer and then then cancel, they can't force you show up. In worst case you would be black listed at SSE for the rest of your life:wink: But maybe it is the best case that you tell both SSE and Oxford about your situation..
Reply 68
Original post by conradmc
Make it four, I got my offer yesterday and am going to accept. When are you all planning on moving to Stockholm?

Edit: background on me: 20/M from California, graduating from University of Southern California next month. I don't speak a word of Swedish... anyone have a recommendation for the best way to learn?

Welcome to Sweden:smile: I wouldn't worry about learning Swedish before you get here. You survive without a problem with English in Sweden, but if you are planning on working here it could be good to know. Some words are pretty similar to english and the grammar is not so different so you can definitely do it if you want to:smile:
Reply 69
Stockholm is indeed a very nice city, I really looking forward to move there. Where did you do your undergrad?

I have been studying at Linnaeus University the last year so i will get my degree from there. But I have been studying a little bit of everything and been at some other universities before I realized that it is economics that I am really interested in. You?
Reply 70

Hei, I think you are better informed about admission process if you spoke with someone from admission team... I used statistics from previous intake and official information... any way it is better to call sse and ask about their admission policy...
Reply 71
My profile ( i have been accepted in COrporate Finance 2 days ago) is:
GMAT 690
IELTS 7,5
GPA 7,4/10
1 YEAR WORK EXPERIENCE, NOT IN FINANCE THOUGH.
FULL TIME IN FAMILY BUSINESS
I deceided to accept the offer, i have not heard from RSM still.
Reply 72
I got accepted to the Msc in Economics as well! And accepted.
:smile:
Original post by Gryte
I got accepted to the Msc in Economics as well! And accepted.
:smile:

Congratulations :smile: See you in August!
Original post by zweistein
I have been studying at Linnaeus University the last year so i will get my degree from there. But I have been studying a little bit of everything and been at some other universities before I realized that it is economics that I am really interested in. You?

Ah great with another swede who don't have the BSc from SSE, I guess we're not too many. I study at Lund University but it's gonna be quite nice to get away from here.
Reply 75
How many peoploe do usually enter Msc in Economics?
Reply 76
By the way, Did someone create facebook group for Msc in finance specialization CF or IM? would be nice to meet over students.
I am currently a student at SSE in the MSc program and would not recommend it for International students for a few reasons. First being, internships are rare. You need to be fluent in Swedish to work here, and even then it's difficult to obtain summer work. Second, the exchange program is a sham. This year there were around 8 spots to MBA schools - most went to Swedes. Classes and professors are mediocre at best. Many people have been disappointed. I would recommend SSE only if you are taking the CEMS, otherwise pick a different school.
Reply 78
Original post by ssestudent2013
I am currently a student at SSE in the MSc program and would not recommend it for International students for a few reasons. First being, internships are rare. You need to be fluent in Swedish to work here, and even then it's difficult to obtain summer work. Second, the exchange program is a sham. This year there were around 8 spots to MBA schools - most went to Swedes. Classes and professors are mediocre at best. Many people have been disappointed. I would recommend SSE only if you are taking the CEMS, otherwise pick a different school.

Ok, I'm Swedish, but I have some international friends who are currently doing there master at SSE, so I think I could add a bit to this topic.
Internships are not so common in Sweden as in most other countries and those internships that exist is usually pretty competitive, but if it is one school in Sweden that increase you chance to get an internship it is SSE.
But there is nothing that restricts you from applying to internships in other countries. SSE is know all other Europe and many get internships in London.
I agree with knowing Swedish helps a lot in getting a job in Sweden. But I think that's the way it is in most European countries. I applied to some internships in Germany to get a chance to improve my German. I didn't get any and I think my poor German skills was the main reason. In Sweden it is at least possible to live and even get some jobs with only English skills. Try doing that in France for example. If your goal is to get a job in Sweden a master at SSE is a great possibility since you get reputable education and a chance to learn Swedish during two years.
I have also heard of some mediocre professors, but also of some good ones. I guess one would think that because the school is more reputable they have professors that are good at teaching. But I'm thinking that it could be the other way around. I have been looking into a lot of master programs in Economics at top universities in Europe and many seem to be a bit disappointed with the teaching. At top universities professors care more about research and they still get students because of the reputation of the university. At more unknown universities they have to focus more on good teaching to attract students. But I totally agree with you on this point, the teaching could be better at SSE.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Here are their placement reports. Maybe all of you haven't seem them. It could help you to decide to accept or not.

http://www.hhs.se/se/Education/Documents/Placement_Report_MSc_2012_K15.pdf

http://www.hhs.se/se/Education/Documents/Placement_Report_GM_2011.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending