The Student Room Group

Stockholm School of Economics MSc applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pretorian
By the way, Did someone create facebook group for Msc in finance specialization CF or IM? would be nice to meet over students.

Yeah, I think it would be nice to meet the others. Btw I got admitted as well (on Tuesday) and accepted (Accounting and Financial Management).

My profile:
M/21
GMAT 740 (Q51V40) AWA 6.0 IR 8
GPA 4.68/5
Undergrad: University of Szeged, HUN
Internship: Startup-financing

///I tried to create a FB group, but I would need to know at least 1 person to add to the group :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by zweistein
Ok, I'm Swedish, but I have some international friends who are currently doing there master at SSE, so I think I could add a bit to this topic.
Internships are not so common in Sweden as in most other countries and those internships that exist is usually pretty competitive, but if it is one school in Sweden that increase you chance to get an internship it is SSE.
But there is nothing that restricts you from applying to internships in other countries. SSE is know all other Europe and many get internships in London.
I agree with knowing Swedish helps a lot in getting a job in Sweden. But I think that's the way it is in most European countries. I applied to some internships in Germany to get a chance to improve my German. I didn't get any and I think my poor German skills was the main reason. In Sweden it is at least possible to live and even get some jobs with only English skills. Try doing that in France for example. If your goal is to get a job in Sweden a master at SSE is a great possibility since you get reputable education and a chance to learn Swedish during two years.
I have also heard of some mediocre professors, but also of some good ones. I guess one would think that because the school is more reputable they have professors that are good at teaching. But I'm thinking that it could be the other way around. I have been looking into a lot of master programs in Economics at top universities in Europe and many seem to be a bit disappointed with the teaching. At top universities professors care more about research and they still get students because of the reputation of the university. At more unknown universities they have to focus more on good teaching to attract students. But I totally agree with you on this point, the teaching could be better at SSE.

Hey there,

thanks for the information, Zweistein, actually I didn't stumple upon these evaluations on my own. Since my plan is not necessarily to work in Sweden later on I don't think that the critisism raised against the MSc programms applies to me.

And finally: I also accepted my offer and I will go for it! :smile:

For the time being I created an open facebook event called "SSE Msc Econ class 2013". Would be nice to get in touch with you! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by theblue
Hey there,

thanks for the information, Zweistein, actually I didn't stumple upon these evaluations on my own. Since my plan is not necessarily to work in Sweden later on I don't think that the critisism raised against the MSc programms applies to me.

For the time being I created an open facebook event called "SSE Msc Econ class 2013". Would be nice to get in touch with you! :wink:

I did a search, couldn't find it. Is it live?
Reply 83
Original post by theblue
Hey there,

Apologies, I found it! I missed where you said event and I searched group.
Reply 84
by the way, here is the link to FB group for Msc in finance CF or IM ...link
would be nice to meet over students and discuss our problems
Reply 85
Hi guys! I have been admitted to the MSc General Management. I've got a GMAT of 600 and a GPA equivalent of around 3.3/4.0. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this master degree? My qualifications are lower than the average, I guess my cover letter must have been very convincing.
Reply 86
Does somebody know how to convert percentage scores into GPA?The university where I study qualifies 60%+ as a first class honors.Currently I'm in second year with an average of 66%.And I'm looking to apply for a Masters program in management next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, just out of curiosity, will anybody here attend the alumni gathering in New York next Friday. Future students are very welcome as well.

I am still torn between SSE and other universities, so I think this could be interesting.
Reply 88
Can anybody tell me what the avg. GMAT score for the MSc Business and Management (either program; International Business (CEMS) or Management) was this year or in previous years? Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by iradex
Can anybody tell me what the avg. GMAT score for the MSc Business and Management (either program; International Business (CEMS) or Management) was this year or in previous years? Thanks :smile:

bump!
Reply 90
Original post by Mcdermott
bump!

As far as I know, it was around 680..
Reply 91
I'm interested in taking the MSc International Economics/Applied Economic Analysis program. I'm from the Philippines with an undergraduate degree in Health Sciences (public health with development focus), but a minor in economics. GPA 3.82/4.0, with strong extracurriculars and 2 years of work experience at a renewable energy company. Haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm fairly confident I can get a 165. I want to study economics to aid making development policy in the Philippines. Do I have a shot getting into the program at SSE? How can I boost my chances?

I'm worried because while I have taken intermediate macro/micro econ, as well as statistics, I don't have a background in math econ or econometrics. Do I need to take classes in these subjects first? Will I have a good chance at a scholarship?
Original post by pampanga
I'm interested in taking the MSc International Economics/Applied Economic Analysis program. I'm from the Philippines with an undergraduate degree in Health Sciences (public health with development focus), but a minor in economics. GPA 3.82/4.0, with strong extracurriculars and 2 years of work experience at a renewable energy company. Haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'm fairly confident I can get a 165. I want to study economics to aid making development policy in the Philippines. Do I have a shot getting into the program at SSE? How can I boost my chances?

I'm worried because while I have taken intermediate macro/micro econ, as well as statistics, I don't have a background in math econ or econometrics. Do I need to take classes in these subjects first? Will I have a good chance at a scholarship?

I am a Econ-student at SSE. I have no idea about your probability to get accepted (>165 on GRE should me good enough though).

However, I dont think you have to worry about too little pre-knowledge of math/econometrics. The first class of the program is Mathematics, which is a pretty hard class if you (like me) have a somewhat poor math background. However, appart from the first math class, you don't really need that stong math skills.

With econometrics it's the other way around. The first mandatory econometric module isn't that hard and I guess it's aimed to make sure everyone is at the same level. Among the elective courses there are somewhat harder econometrics if you want to, but you can easily skip those and pick other courses for your electives.
Reply 93
Did anyone got scholarship between you ladies and gentlemen who got admitted to SSE? My intention is other than prying into personal matters but I am trying to figure out if I should let go my admitted program this year in favour of getting into SSE's MSc in Finance for the next year, but I hardly can afford to pay for tuitions and I am a non-EU/EEA prospect student so knowing my chances to get the scholarship is very much crucial for me and just by doing so I can figure out if I should take this year off.
Anyway, I still have to take GMAT/GRE exams if I opt for SSE but I graduated from University of Turin in Italy with average score of 27.49/30 (Italian score scale) and I have lots of different work experiences but unrelated to the financial sector and without any internship under my belt. I read on this website http://studyinsweden.se/Scholarships/ that there are numbers of full scholarships available for non-EU/EEA students who apply in the first round for admission but there are not much other information regarding the selection criteria and etc. I will much appreciate any insight! Good luck for all of you guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending