The Student Room Group

Girls wittering on incessantly about their boyfriends

Scroll to see replies

In the long run you'll probably end up with the high ground, relationships that are so intense that one partner can't stop mentioning the other tend to burn out within a couple of years tops.
"Well MINE took me to London"

Is this supposed to be something out of the ordinary/special? :s Your friends sure have boring boyfriends, not to worry :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Philbert
Cool story bro.

Why thank you, glad you enjoyed it :colone: shall I tell another?! :cool:
Reply 23
Whenever I speak to any woman, they'll always mention a boyfriend within the first ten minutes of the conversation.

With guys, they could go weeks without mentioning a girlfriend.

Is this just me?
Reply 24
Original post by pixelfrag
"Well MINE took me to London"

Is this supposed to be something out of the ordinary/special? :s Your friends sure have boring boyfriends, not to worry :tongue:

We live in a tiny ex-mining town in West Yorks. London is like an exotic new country here :tongue:
Reply 25
I have a number of reasoned points
1. It is annoying when that is all the other person can talk about, I'm in a relationship and even I find it annoying
on the other had
2. If you spend most/a good proportion of your time with that person they are bound to come up a lot in conversation.

I guess it is about whether it is proportional to how often you talk about other friends.
Reply 26
Original post by Betacra
Whenever I speak to any woman, they'll always mention a boyfriend within the first ten minutes of the conversation.

With guys, they could go weeks without mentioning a girlfriend.

Is this just me?

I will often do this on purpose when I first meet someone to stop guys getting the wrong idea. Which I think is only fair really.
Original post by AmyJ
We live in a tiny ex-mining town in West Yorks. London is like an exotic new country here :tongue:

Ahh I see, I'm a Londoner aha. In all honesty, I think around the ages of 16-18, a bf/gf will be something everyone will be excited about and talk about a lot, puppy love and all etc. Although if they're doing it excessively then I suppose that's a lack of consideration from their side. You could either get an awesome boyfriend and shut them all up OR you could maybe tell them to stop talking about their boyfriends all the time and stop being so obsessed? aha
Original post by AmyJ
Third time lucky pfffft.

You need to get better girlfriends, *girl*FRIEND (*head bob clicky thing*)
Reply 29
Sadly it just seems representative of the kind of narcissistic, attention-seeking culture we find ourselves in these days. It's similar to Facebook - so many people who have/see/hear something they regard as good, or something they wish was good, are unable to simply be satisfied with the fact that it is good. Instead they feel compelled to post to tell everyone how good it is.

Perhaps part of it is also that you are like me OP, in that you regard relationships as quite private things. I am happy enough to talk about my relationships if someone raises the topic or asks specifically but generally I tend not to volunteer such information because I just take the view that a relationship is between 2 people and it is generally best to keep it that way.
There was someone like this I knew a few years ago and it was ******g annoying; not matter what yo would talk about she would somehow bring her boyfriend up. Knew more about him than her.
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree with Kenocide's points above. Personally I think relationships should be quite private. Not hidden away, but just between two people and not something you go on about, especially in front of people that are single.

But I do think it is sometimes driven by insecurity, when people have to always be publicising either in person or on facebook/twitter the fact that they have a partner and telling everyone what fun activities they are doing together, it is all about painting the image of their perfect lives to convince themselves as well as others.

I remember my last girlfriend, when we first met and I added her on facebook there were loads of pictures of her with her ex boyfriend who she had been seeing for about 2 years, and I felt quite jealous when I face-stalked her, even though I was with her at this point in time, just seeing how she was always posting love hearts beneath every picture of them together and making comments about how in love they were. But as I got to know her more and she told me about her last relationship, it was clear that they had been having massive problems for a long time, and some of the time she was doing all this lovey dovey stuff on facebook they were not even talking to each other. I brought up her facebook interactions with him to her when she was telling me this, and she said "yeah, I think I was just trying so hard to convince myself, as well as other people, that I was in this perfect relationship really". So fair enough. But I bet she irritated the crap out of other people with that kind of thing. She didn't do it with me fortunately.
Reply 32
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I agree with Kenocide's points above. Personally I think relationships should be quite private. Not hidden away, but just between two people and not something you go on about, especially in front of people that are single.

But I do think it is sometimes driven by insecurity, when people have to always be publicising either in person or on facebook/twitter the fact that they have a partner and telling everyone what fun activities they are doing together, it is all about painting the image of their perfect lives to convince themselves as well as others.

I remember my last girlfriend, when we first met and I added her on facebook there were loads of pictures of her with her ex boyfriend who she had been seeing for about 2 years, and I felt quite jealous when I face-stalked her, even though I was with her at this point in time, just seeing how she was always posting love hearts beneath every picture of them together and making comments about how in love they were. But as I got to know her more and she told me about her last relationship, it was clear that they had been having massive problems for a long time, and some of the time she was doing all this lovey dovey stuff on facebook they were not even talking to each other. I brought up her facebook interactions with him to her when she was telling me this, and she said "yeah, I think I was just trying so hard to convince myself, as well as other people, that I was in this perfect relationship really". So fair enough. But I bet she irritated the crap out of other people with that kind of thing. She didn't do it with me fortunately.

Agreed on the insecurity point.

It's so obvious some of the time - it's like an online version of Desperate Housewives, where the only thing that matters is not losing face and making sure that everyone else knows how perfect your life is, whilst you are busy behind closed doors mopping up your partner's blood and your own tears...

God knows, if those people took all that time they spend trying to make their relationship look idyllic and actually used it productively to try and improve their relationship they would probably be much better off!
Reply 33
This is something I find quite annoying and really quite ubiquitous. For most girls getting a boyfriend is really high up on their priorities in life (and a lot even dedicate their lives to getting a boyfriend), which is why a lot of them can't even string a few sentences together without mentioning their 'current' boyfriends :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes I do think amongst a friendship group of girls it is a status symbol, if most of the girls have boyfriends then the single ones need to at least have 'something going on' with some guy in order to have things to talk about, otherwise they will just feel excluded from the conversation. In a friendship group of guys its not really a big deal, if you're single or if you have a girlfriend it doesn't make much difference.

One thing I noticed in uni, was there were guys that were total studs, really successful with women, that were in friendship groups with guys that were constantly single, but I didn't see the same effect with girls, the really popular girls tended to hang around other popular girls, they weren't in friendship groups with the constantly single girls.

It is one thing I am happy about being male, that you don't have to feel you are talking about relationships all the time. It must get boring, I think the reason some girls like it is because the attention is on them, especially if they have some 'drama' in their relationship to report.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
I guess, as a girl, the most important thing in your life rightly has to be your boyfriend..

+ I reckon quite a few guys witter on about their girlfriends.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Zarek
I guess, as a girl, the most important thing in your life rightly has to be your boyfriend..

+ I reckon quite a few guys witter on about their girlfriends.

:lolwut: ?
Reply 37
Original post by Philbert
:lolwut: ?

Think I was a bit drunk when I wrote this. But hope you get my flippant irreverent drift...
Reply 38
That's what most girls are like, I am afraid. There's a huge, huge class of insecure girls, and all they do is bang on and on about their boyfriends. In fact, it's quite common as a guy to meet a girl in a totally platonic situation, and within 60 seconds of the conversation, it's "My boyfriend, this; my amazing boyfriend that..."

Girls use boyfriends to cover up the fact that they have no identity whatsoever of their own, and drape their male proxy around their non-entities. NO GUY EVER TALKS ABOUT THEIR GIRLFRIEND IN SOCIAL SITUATIONS, EVER. That is as it should be!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by AmyJ
Third time lucky pfffft.

Hey, me and my friends don't have boyfriends to witter on about but if I did, I'm sure that I'd keep it private. It's annoying for him, annoying for everyone else (unless you're in some weird competition) because WHO CARES?

Yeah, just though I'd say that.
:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending