The Student Room Group

language degree- year abroad in 2nd or 3rd year?

Hi
I heard from a lecturer at a uni open day that students who go abroad in the second year rather than the third learn less on their year abroad. Is this true? It seems so many more top uni's like Leeds, Sheffield and Warwick seem to be sending students abroad in year 2 now, especially for ab initio languages- is it more/ less beneficial or does it make a difference at all?
Thanks
Reply 1
Personally I would recommend going abroad as soon as possible. It takes considerably more time to acquire basic/intermediate level knowledge in the classroom, which can be gained in only a couple of months if you're immersed in the language. Then it leaves you free to work on more advanced stuff, like translation, business language, literature etc once you're back.

I guess it does depend on the language to some extent though, as going to say Russia or an Arabic speaking country having only learnt the language for a year would be quite intimidating and at first you would be unlikely to have the required level to study/work, so you might not get as much out of your stay. Plus it depends on how motivated you are as leaving in Year 2 would be that bit more of a jump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending