The Student Room Group

OCR Biology Plan Help on transpiration

Okay i just need to check im doing okay.

I was going to use geranium as a normal plant, and cannot think of a xerophytic plant to use which would fit inside the tubing of the potometer. What plant could i use?

Then i was going to measure how much water transpires from each plant without any wind, and then with a fan using different fan settings, or maybe holding the fan further away from the plant.

Does that sound alright as we've had no help for this whatsoever and im completely unsure. How are other people doing it?

Also, what is the name of them plier type things that gardeners use to cut stalks?
Reply 1
heeeey,
this is the exact planning we had since we do ocr bio too. okay ill just write what i did and hopefully itl be of some use
->normal plant (mesophyte) i used a Sycamore Maple
->for a xerophye, Scots Pine
-> same as you, i had wind speed as my independent variable and did 1 control (wind speed = 0) and then another 5 made up settings.... ^_^ in rpm.
-> used a sharp knife instead of pliers.. i woudnt spend alot of time worrying about that

just make sure you mention the major limitation in this, which is that the fan will alter several other variables, namely temperature and possible humidity.
btw, i found wikipedia a godsend during this and is where i found the names of the plants i was gonna use.

hope this helps, pm if you want to know anything else :redface:
Reply 2
what does wind speed = 0 mean?

how do you actually measure wind speed? im just holding the fan different distances away. thanks.
urgh its horrible isnt it ive so much work to do
Reply 3
hy again,
I think its best measuring wind speed in mph however i measured it in rpm and looking back i think ive made a major mistake as thats the speed of the fan blade and not the wind speed generated.. :eek: ANYWAY..wind speed = 0 basically means that the fan was turned off, and the plant was left to transpire for a set amount of time.

Personally, i think instead of having different distances as the indepedent var., use different wind speeds because it'll be easier to discuss.

Our teacher suggested googling website shops which sell fans and finding out actual realistic speeds but its hard finding detailed specifications.

gl

Latest

Trending

Trending