The Student Room Group

What work experience would be useful when applying for Ancient History or History?

I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't any museum's around, so what other kind of work experience is considered useful? I can't think of anything.
Reply 1
I found it really difficult to get work experience for history- I managed to get 1 day in a museum which was so pointless I didn't even mention it in the end. To be honest, any work experience even if it's not related is fine :smile: i did two weeks at a town council so somewhere in an office might be an idea
Reply 2
Original post by Emrys141
I live in the middle of nowhere and there aren't any museum's around, so what other kind of work experience is considered useful? I can't think of anything.

for history work experience isnt necessary, wider reading would look good though
Any 'extra' experience like working in a shop, helping at cubs/brownies, volunteer work at an Old Peoples Home/charity shop or library etc. Anything that gets you 'experience with people' and allows you to step outside school and take on some real responsibility. Make sure you point out clearly on your PS what you got out of it, what skills you developed, how it changed your perceptions about people, gave you more confidence etc etc. ALL Of these things are useful at University - regardless of the subject you study and Admissions Tutors know this.

If you *can* get some experience with somewhere like the National Trust, English Heritage etc or any other local attraction that involves history, that would be great - most places like that are *desperate* for volunteers. But if you cant, then make the most of what you *can* do.

PS. The best book ever for anyone thinking about doing History at Uni is :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/1403987343
Its a reallygood introduction to what studying history as an academic subject is all about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Working on Time Team!
Reply 5
Where you thinking of applying to? Generally if there's any local villages or towns around, you could always find out if they have a historical society and ask if you could assist in any archival work.
Reply 6
Original post by Emrys141

You really don't need it for history, just read a few books :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending