The Student Room Group

What is the capital city of the world?

Just say that if there ever was such a thing, which city would it be?

I say New York City. It's the most politically powerful city on the planet after Washington DC, what with NYC being home of the United Nations. It's the true financial capital of the world (not London). It's the media capital of the world (home to News Corporation, Viacom etc). Over 800 languages are spoken making NYC the most linguistically rich city on the planet. It's also a fashion hub alongside Milan and Paris. There are more billionaires in NYC than any other city in the world. The city is practically home to the American Dream. If anyone wanted to star a new life somewhere or would want to make it big, NYC is the first place they'd think of.

Scroll to see replies

I would personally argue it was London.
Reply 2
It would be either London or New York
Ramsbottom.
Reply 4
Yes, it's undoubtedly New York. London and Tokyo are next. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_city#GaWC_study
Reply 5
Original post by Gallifreyan95
I would personally argue it was London.

London isn't even on par with NYC IMO. It's an global city yeah but it doesn't have the same clout, draw and uniqueness that New York has.
Reply 6
I would say London. Geographically it is the focal point between the US and the emerging South American economies and Russia, China and India; economically it has always benefited from this and London remains in spite of everything the financial centre of the world. Money is power, so this lends it considerable political clout too as well as the sense behind world leaders gathering in the centre of the world. London is steeped in far more history and culture than NY, which, while not without its own history and culture, is more obviously distinguished by skyscrapers and shops. Macy's and the Empire State Building are impressive places, but no amount of glass and cashmere could imitate 2000 years of human history.
Original post by tinkertailor
It's the true financial capital of the world (not London).

Source?

London ranks above New York in the Global Financial Centres Index: http://www.longfinance.net/Publications/GFCI%2012.5.pdf
Reply 8
NYC/London/Tokyo.

Think they're the "big 3" as it were.

Possibly an edge towards NYC because in all honesty, America is a bigger superpower than us and NYC is almost the mascot of that superpower. That's why in disaster movies you always see NYC getting blown up/invaded by aliens/only inhabited by Will Smith.
Reply 9
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Source?

London ranks above New York in the Global Financial Centres Index: http://www.longfinance.net/Publications/GFCI 12.5.pdf

Nearly all of the big banks, hedge funds, investment arms, law firms in London are foreign. The true power comes from New York City with the big American corporations. London is slap bang middle of the global time zone and it's a good place for foreign companies to base their secondary HQs there. The really big financial decisions are made in NYC. Not to mention all major IPOs are made in NYC and it's home to the New York Stock Exchange, the biggest in the world by a mile.
I'd say London, while NYC may be better in some areas, the UK has better foreign affairs than the US
If the world were united I'd put the capitol in a quieter (but stable) country that hasn't ever been accused of imperialism.

It just wouldn't look good if one of the current super-powers was in control of the entire world in my opinion.
Reply 12
Original post by Tuerin
I would say London. Geographically it is the focal point between the US and the emerging South American economies and Russia, China and India; economically it has always benefited from this and London remains in spite of everything the financial centre of the world. Money is power, so this lends it considerable political clout too as well as the sense behind world leaders gathering in the centre of the world. London is steeped in far more history and culture than NY, which, while not without its own history and culture, is more obviously distinguished by skyscrapers and shops. Macy's and the Empire State Building are impressive places, but no amount of glass and cashmere could imitate 2000 years of human history.

Well then according to your logic Rome would be the capital of the world as they have a bigger history than either London and New York. History is a factor only to a point.

Even as a financial center London will certainly be overtaken by Shanghai and Hong Kong within the next couple of years whereas NYC will be unaffected. The City has shrunk massively since 2008. Plus Libor has hurt London's reputation massively. The Americans and the rest of the world are determined to cripple London.
Reply 13
It's probably New York, then London, then Tokyo. Perhaps even New York, then Tokyo then London.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well then according to your logic Rome would be the capital of the world as they have a bigger history than either London and New York. History is a factor only to a point.

Even as a financial center London will certainly be overtaken by Shanghai and Hong Kong within the next couple of years whereas NYC will be unaffected. The City has shrunk massively since 2008. Plus Libor has hurt London's reputation massively. The Americans and the rest of the world are determined to cripple London.

You're failing to consider both financial and cultural factors together; sure, Rome may have a deeper history than London, and Shanghai may become a stronger financial centre, but Shanghai is not as culturally enriched as Rome and Rome is not as financially endowed as Shanghai. London combines the two to a degree unmatched in the rest of the world and that is what makes it Great.
No chance of throwing Stirling into that hat? Fine then, New York it is.
Reply 16
Original post by Tuerin
You're failing to consider both financial and cultural factors together; sure, Rome may have a deeper history than London, and Shanghai may become a stronger financial centre, but Shanghai is not as culturally enriched as Rome and Rome is not as financially endowed as Shanghai. London combines the two to a degree unmatched in the rest of the world and that is what makes it Great.

I'd say London is second though not on par with NYC. New York is culturally significant. It's home to the modern skyscraper, jazz music, American food that is exported around the globe etc.

But I think it comes down to one significant factor, politics. The world's financial and political decisions are made in New York and not London. London was a significant player in the Victorian era at the height of the British Empire. But since WWII it's political power has declined massively. Like I said before, NYC is the most politically powerful city after Washington DC. Combine that with it being a financial center, no other city can compete.
There are more billionaires in NYC than any other city in the world.

Incorrect, Moscow has more billionaires than New York, New York is number 2 (according to Forbes).

In general though I wouldn't call New York the global city, personally I'd place London ahead followed by New York, Dubai, Hong Kong and perhaps Dubai and Moscow although London and New York are most definitely top 2.
Reply 18
london, its right in the middle ,
hogsmeade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending