The Student Room Group

What is the capital city of the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't believe that there is one city that can truly be called the global capital. If it was 1955, I would have said New York. If it was 1850, I would have said London. But the world is very different now. I agree with the "multipolar" theory of the 21st century, which theorises that global power will be dispersed between various countries and their power centre's, ranging from London and New York to Beijing and Hong Kong. In the globalised world, the flow of power no longer comes in and out of one city. If we go by the GaWC index (probably the most respected index of urban power), the difference in level of power between New York, London, Hong Kong, etc. is minuscule.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
London, New York is all big and fancy but it's above all else an American city. You don't get to be anti-American in New York.

London is literally an international city, it doesn't really belong to the UK any more, it belongs to the world.

Tokyo doesn't even get a look in, it's in Japan, the population is almost entirely Japanese, the Japanese in general aren't open to foreigners and foreign influence (compared to New York or London).

If New York could detach itself from the United States I'd say it gets the crown.

Not really.

As someone who's lived in both NYC and London, they're both pretty equal in terms of being an international city. Both cities have foreign-born populations of ~36%.

But in NYC, there are as many as 800 languages spoken, while in London it is just 300. NYC also has the lower percentage of Whites and a FAR more diverse ethnic composition.

Sources:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jan/21/britishidentity1
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/nyregion/29lost.html?hpw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_profile_of_New_York_City
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_London

Small, fleeting rises in London's financial status due to stricter regulations on Wall Street and the NYSE won't knock down the Empire State. In Asia (where I'm from), the true and definitive measure of success for a company is not to achieve a listing on the LSE, but in the NYSE. But the latter is a tad more difficult as of late.
is everyone in this thread drunk? yeah ok, london was the undisputed 'capital of the world' 150 years ago, but come on.

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Sydney, Mumbai, Beijing, Moscow, Tokyo.

All cities with far greater global influence and hence more valid claims to being ''capital of the world.
Original post by martin jol
is everyone in this thread drunk? yeah ok, london was the undisputed 'capital of the world' 150 years ago, but come on.

All cities with far greater global influence and hence more valid claims to being ''capital of the world.

What.

Do you actually think LA, Sydney, Mumbai and the rest of those cities are anywhere near London in terms of global reach and financial importance? :s
Reply 84

Go back to managing your team. Fulham should've played better yesterday.
Original post by lifeisgood.
What.

Do you actually think LA, Sydney, Mumbai and the rest of those cities are anywhere near London in terms of global reach and financial importance? :s

it's called developing economies rather than stagnant ones.

far more relevant in the 21st century

(i was taking the piss with sydney tbf)
Clearly this will turn into London versus New York.

Personally I would go for New York, but think both are global and significant. Given New York doesn't have the political clout of housing the government like London, I find it's importance even more impressive.
Los Angeles, Chicago, Sydney, Mumbai.

:holmes: really? LA? Chicago? Mumbai? none of those cities have as much clout as London, Moscow, New York or Hong Kong/Shanghai for example.

Sydney is the capital of Oceania no doubt however of the world? no.
Reply 88
Danzig, in Poland.

The Free City of Danzig was once an independent state, home to the League of Nations. In my opinion, the UN should request sovereignty for the city and move back there, as opposed to being in the US. After all, shouldn't it be better to have a capitol free from warfare and all that jazzy stuff?
Original post by tehFrance
:holmes: really? LA? Chicago? Mumbai? none of those cities have as much clout as London, Moscow, New York or Hong Kong/Shanghai for example.

Sydney is the capital of Oceania no doubt however of the world? no.

by listing those cities i was just throwing up some curveballs, because in this thread there's a ton of people just going oh london cause it's the centre of the world.

someone living in mumbai would have just as much cause to argue that sort of thing. look at mumbai's population, 50% more than london. it's a key global trade hub.

chicago and la are culturally and economically up there in terms of influence, with london, in my opinion.

sydney should be up there because of its beaches.
Reply 90
Original post by alexs2602
Regardless he may have meant London has the busiest airspace which is certainly true. London has the busiest airspace in the world. That alone speaks highly of London. London also has the busiest venue in the world. The O2. Which is ahead of Madison Square Garden and the MEN arena(I believe).

Really? I never knew the 02 was really significant internationally.

Original post by KalSA
Am I being incredibly stupid or is the UN not a government? :confused:

Technically no.

With that said the definition of a government is a loose one, the EU is not deemed to be a government by some and yet we elect the European parliament and it has the ability to declare war in the name of the EU.
Reply 91
Original post by jco19
I don't believe that there is one city that can truly be called the global capital. If it was 1955, I would have said New York. If it was 1850, I would have said London. But the world is very different now. I agree with the "multipolar" theory of the 21st century, which theorises that global power will be dispersed between various countries and their power centre's, ranging from London and New York to Beijing and Hong Kong. In the globalised world, the flow of power no longer comes in and out of one city. If we go by the GaWC index (probably the most respected index of urban power), the difference in level of power between New York, London, Hong Kong, etc. is minuscule.

I'd agree with a more regional look.

New York is the capital of the USA in terms of economic clout, culture and a number of other things.

London if the UK integrated would likely crush rivals such as Paris to become the undisputed capital of Europe and potentially the world (why go to Paris when you can go to London is what companies will say).

Shanghai will probably take the Asian crown although Asia is currently too divided in terms of cities and their power, it does have the backing of China though.

These 3 cities if managed properly could be the giants of the 21st century.
Original post by Rakas21
Why go to Paris when you can go to London is what companies will say.

Why would companies go to Paris in the first place? you will notice that the majority of multi-nationals in Europe are not based in Paris, French based companies are obviously but US and other countries large corporations? no. Business events, trade shows, etc on the other hand, Paris is number 1 in the world.

Why do you make such stupid comparisons?
Reply 93
A lot of people are saying London just because it's slap bang middle of the world time zone. It's funny though, the top corporations in London are all foreign and are only here for the convenience of GMT and how the city is in between Europe and the US. That's the only reason they're here. The top corporations in New York are American.

New York has far more political and financial influence than London has.
Reply 94
Original post by tehFrance
Why would companies go to Paris in the first place? you will notice that the majority of multi-nationals in Europe are not based in Paris, French based companies are obviously but US and other countries large corporations? no. Business events, trade shows, etc on the other hand, Paris is number 1 in the world.

Why do you make such stupid comparisons?

Fair enough.

I was just going by the figures which suggest that Paris isn't all that much poorer than London and so made the assumption that there was a split in terms of international business.
Reply 95
Original post by ManagerMP
Atlanta has a busier airport..

But London has the world's busiest city airport system, and Heathrow is the world's busiest airport in terms of international passengers.
Reply 96
Original post by tinkertailor
A lot of people are saying London just because it's slap bang middle of the world time zone. It's funny though, the top corporations in London are all foreign and are only here for the convenience of GMT and how the city is in between Europe and the US. That's the only reason they're here. The top corporations in New York are American.

New York has far more political and financial influence than London has.

So, as an international city, you're saying London is on top?
London is a haven for business and commerce, also its geography in between East and West makes it perfect. Additionally London's history and culture are second to none, the number of different ethnicities is staggering. While NYC has the UN HQ, but if you were group of leading businessmen for around the world where would you go? London would be obvious choice ... Also London's real estate is seen to be as safe as gold, literally if you have money then buying a house in central London is the best investment you can make.
Reply 98
Jerusalem
Reply 99
Original post by Vionar
But London has the world's busiest city airport system, and Heathrow is the world's busiest airport in terms of international passengers.

I'm pretty sure Haneda+Narita > LHR+Gatwick+(Stansted)

Or Newark+JFK+La Guardia > LHR+Gatwick+(Stansted)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending