The Student Room Group

Almost died last night - don't know if I wanna drive anymore...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was with M4LLY when he put his old Pug 206 sideways into a ditch last year. I was a bit shaken for a few days as it was quite fast but I'm still here. Give it a few days and the feeling will begin to fade
Reply 41
Original post by Michaelj
Police breatharlysed me and took some details, did this so they didn't accuse me of drinking and driving and abandoning vehicle. I got RAC to tow my car out of the farm and I can't contact the insurers until tomorrow so hopefully it'll work out.

what is happening now??
I've been driving on the motorways and countryroads and prob done 30k miles in about 1 year and a half. No such thing as my side of the road? What so anyone can just drive on the other side of the road despite there being a bend?
It is not against the law or the Highway Code to drive on the 'wrong side of the road'
Just shows they were going too fast themselves and had to compensate by driving on the other side.
That may be, and is something an experienced driver would be aware of.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a huge tractor judging by the fact the headlights were low and even if it was, he can still drive on his side of the road...
Pedestrians on country lanes walk on the 'wrong side of the road'. Would you have still swerved or mowed them down to avoid crashing?
I'm not doing advanced training, I don't need it. I know how to drive for a start and nothing can prepare you for what other people do instantly.
Advanced driving teaches you when and how to 'drive on the wrong side of the road'

I am not saying the other guy was in the right. I am saying you were driving beyond your skill and experience.
The suggestion of training WILL help you regain confidence.
Reply 43
Michaelj
I'm not doing advanced training, I don't need it. I know how to drive for a start and nothing can prepare you for what other people do instantly.

I can guarantee you that you do, everyone is rubbish at driving and mostly because of this attitude. I have done countless trackdays, spent lots of time with racing instructors and thousands of miles on the road and I am still learning on the road.

I don't subscribe to all this IAM and Roadspa stuff, other than if you do it to reduce your insurance which is fair enough, but trackdays for sure improve your driving, mostly because you learn the skill of anticipation and looking far far ahead.

You know how to get a car from A to B, but you don't know how to drive.
Original post by anonymouse01
Glad you're okay. Think of it like chickenpox. Unlikely to happen again its happened once already.

Posted from TSR iPad

Except crashing isn't caused by a virus and as such you can't develop antibodies which confer immunity.
Original post by deavinj
This is *******s. My stepdad was in a motorcycle accident that put him in intensive care and severed his spinal cord, permanently paralysing him. Three months after he got out of hospital he got his friends to help him onto the back of one of their motorbikes and strap his legs down so he could go for a ride with one of them again. You did not nearly die. Man up and get back in a car, don't let some dick ruin what you most likely at one point enjoyed.

Actually according to the OP's description, he did nearly die. You dont have to sustain serious injuries before you class it as "nearly dying".

If a madman on a shooting spree shot at me but the bullet just missed my head by inches, would you not class that as nearly dying?
Original post by gbduo
I can guarantee you that you do, everyone is rubbish at driving and mostly because of this attitude. I have done countless trackdays, spent lots of time with racing instructors and thousands of miles on the road and I am still learning on the road.

I don't subscribe to all this IAM and Roadspa stuff, other than if you do it to reduce your insurance which is fair enough, but trackdays for sure improve your driving, mostly because you learn the skill of anticipation and looking far far ahead.

You know how to get a car from A to B, but you don't know how to drive.

OP is shaken after someone on his side of the road forced him off the road.

You think the best course of action is for OP to go pelting around a race track. This will certainly calm OP's nerves and will certainly help OP deal with an oncoming speeding car at night on a country bend.

I couldn't have come up with a more stupid answer to the OP if I had tried.
Reply 47
Sounds like a bad crash, go and buy a lottery ticket immediately!
Reply 48
Original post by paddyman4
OP is shaken after someone on his side of the road forced him off the road.

You think the best course of action is for OP to go pelting around a race track. This will certainly calm OP's nerves and will certainly help OP deal with an oncoming speeding car at night on a country bend.

I couldn't have come up with a more stupid answer to the OP if I had tried.

No.

If you read the entire thread, or even just the first page, you will see my response to his accident and my advice there, in fact I think it is the first reply.

This was in response to the OP saying he can't learn anymore about driving, which is just clearly wrong.

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest